Why is the F50 the only one? | FerrariChat

Why is the F50 the only one?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Teenferrarifan, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have always thought about why Ferrari wouldn't make the 288gto, F40, or Enzo an open car but they had no problems about making the F50 an open air car. Does anyone know why? Didn't this hurt performance and didn't the hardtop weigh more than a reg top would? It would appear that making the 288 a targa would have been easy? why not?
    Erik

2. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    An open top 288 would be just plain UGLY. That's why.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    There are many decisions to be made when planning to manufacture a new anything. And primarily it's 'will it be profitable?' Styling and functionality are certainly considerations, so is manufacturability, strength, government regulation compliance, labor to build, serviceability, cooperation with sub-contractors, labor unions, etc. ad nauseum....

Styling is important, but it's not the overall driving force in design.

If one looks at the chassis of a 288, 246, 308, 328, Mondial, 348, 355, TR, 512TR and F40, one will see a strong family resemblance. It's so the car will make a profit.

With the 288GTO, it's a closed car due to (among many other factors) structural integrity and cost to manufacture, and certainly styling. An open car of tubular steel or steel unibody, whether targa or convertible, is tough to build as a strong foundation for power, ride and handling.

As for the F50, a true carbon fiber monocoque chassis, the strength goals in torsion and bending was easier to achieve. The F50's hardtop weighs about 28 lb.

Hope this helps,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hey Erik, I do love the way the F50 is open air. The Enzo for example most people will be using for track use anyway and I would guess the structure will be stronger without a removable roof. And safer perhaps in a high speed crash. I could be wrong though.

5. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  7. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks guys any other opinions out there.
    Erik

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

the real reason is probaly because a barchetta style car is less rigid.
    The main objective of those cars are to be fast, to handle beautifully etc...

They probably thought about doing an Enzo a la F50 but realised a closed car would be a much better solution in order to achieve their goals. A soft top would also mean either a storage space for a real top capable of resisting high speed cruise or a top as the F50's that cant be used over 80 mph.

9. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yo Andrew how many miles has your Dad racked up on his Enzo? That car is sweet. Do you have any first hand driving reactions to the car compared to your F40? A little off topic. Also I doubt he wishes either were open cars anyway.
    Erik

10. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    I am not sure why they did not do it. Probably mainly economic reasons, but for the 288 GTO I assume it was not allowed to have a spyder or cabriolet in Group B!!!

Niels

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

the Enzo has +/-2000 miles.
    I havent driven it yet ! so i cant compare it to the f40 :( but im sure it must be much easier to drive ! I hope i can give you an answer by April :)

12. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    YOU HAVE NOT DRIVEN IT???!!!!! Is he in another state or country?

13. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Nice Andrew that is awesome your dad drives it. There are so many 288's, and f40's with that many miles on them and they are 20 years old. It is great to see people that drive the cars.
    Erik

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    1. The 288GTO was built for a series, the Group B thingy. Thus it is a real race car, and needed the roof because you do not track/rally an open car. If you track an open car it is not a convertible but like a CanAm car to gain the full aerodynamic advantage.

2. The F40 was an update on the 288GTO and while it was not produced for any race series, did end up performing well on the track ... again a race car.

3. The F50 was produced to give the F1 experience IMO to the owner, hence the carbon tub, the stressed engine and the open top. Performance was not the first consideration ... This was a common theme at the time and I think Yamaha even made (or where going to) a road car for the same reason.

4. The Enzo was produced ... hmmm, not sure why, I guess to show off ... but like the F50 JUST another road car ... but an awesome one though.

Pete

15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes lol..he's in NY , im in Paris :) ...

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I beg to differ on the supposed "ugliness" of a 308/328 converted into a spyder. I was considering just such a car a few months ago, but the appearance was NOT a factor in evaluating the car. In my case, the car in question had some engine trouble, and the particular spyder conversion on this car did NOT have a folding top built into the car. You either attached a removable top and rode with it, or you left it at home in the garage. That's a bit of a problem if you got caught out in a sudden rain shower. Here's the car. I thought that it looked very nice.

17. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Very well said. These cars were meant to be driven and driven hard.

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Arlie, wow, that's GEORGOUS!

Bloody amazing. If I could have a snap-on top of some kind to limp home when showers started, I'd have that in a second.

Any info on the car now? How did it look up close?

Best!
    Ben.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

20. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Those 308's need to be lowered.
    That spyder looks like a rally car, 4wheel drive.

21. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I thought the real reason the F50 was made into a targa because it is too noisy and virtually undrivable with the roof on. Incidentally the F50 seems popular in the USA, everyone I know who is envolved with Ferrari's in the UK thinks they are rubbish. A friend of mine who has been a Ferrari mechanic for 30 years and has worked on virtually every tipo made reckons its the WORST piece of cr*p Ferrari have ever made and that includes the 348. His favourite mechanically - the F40 and 288GTO!

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Can't help but notice a couple of much less than enthused posts.
    What data is there to support the 80 mph or POS comments?

23. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I think he must be referring to the emergency soft top. I can't find a pic of it right now but it's rather flimsy looking.

24. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Despite the fact the F50 was popular with Ferrari enthusiasts, it was not that well received among motoring journalists. It was criticised for not being much of an improvement performance wise over the F40, and the fact it was open led most people to belive the car was "soft" and not a true performance car.
    As it was the flagship model, this was unacceptable to Ferrari. I don't hear anybody calling the Enzo "soft"!
    BTW Enzo himself was not a fan of spyders, so you couldn't name one after him, it wouldn't be right.

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It appears Mr. Skavros is using an emergency soft top for a brain.