308 clutch pedal adjustment question | FerrariChat

308 clutch pedal adjustment question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jbrosseau, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    i did a search but came away a bit confused. can you adjust the clutch pedal? my clutch seems to engage within the last 2 inches before my foot leaves the pedal. the clutch does not slip and has life left in it, but i want the clutch to engage at least half way of the floor not at the last 2 inches of travel. to whats the trick? can i adjust the pedal or do i adjust the linkage near the tranny? and what is the best way to do this so i dont ruin a perfectly good car? thanks. joe

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you have the earlier clutch cable system where you can stick a screw driver into the linkage arms for alignment, then that is how/where you want to do the adjustment. If you have the later clutch cable system where the T/O bearing is always pushing up against the PP, then there is no adjustment. That also means your clutch is worn out.

3. sue308

sue308 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Susan Hawley
    Let me preface this with I am not an expert by any means but I have adjusted my clutch on my 81 308 gtsi. It is a fairly easy thing to do on my car. Under the tranny you will see a cable coming from the fire wall to the linkege, it is a little obscured by the frame, jacking the car is recomended. It took me several tries to get the adjustment correct but now my clutch disengages where I want it. I too was almost to the floor before disengage and it was a pain. There is a "union" turn buckle that joins the cable to the rod that attaches to the linkage. It is about 21/2 - 3" long. It has nuts on both ends that lock the threads. Just use two wrenches (one on the lock nut one on the union) and losen the union, turning the union one way wil slacken the cable, the other way will tighten. You may want to black the clutch in the foot well to take the tension off the cable. Be advised I broke my union the first time because the metal was siezed up. USE PENITRATING OIL FIRST. The union is cheap if you do break it. about 6 bucks. That's all that to it. My mechanical ability is a 4 out of 10 (10 being an engine rebuild 1 not knowing how to check oil) maybe a 5, so If you are in that range...no problem. Hope it helps.

4. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I think Sue is right. But be aware that 1 end of the adjuster union thingy has a reversed thread...it's the end with a notch in the nut. Otherwise, you think you're undoing it when you're actually tightening it more!

5. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    you willl see the link with an ajustment.a 11 mm key i believe.all 308 till 328 have ajustments. simply srew it in a few turns and test it until you are happy.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    jbrosseau,
    Your '79 GTS should have the early style clutch adj system tthat Yelcab referrs to. About the best available write-up is the one in:
    Ferrari 308GT4 Workshop Manual
    http://www.ferrari.jenkins.org/books/308GT4_workshop.pdf

BTW, it's normal for 3x8 clutches to release early in the pedal's travel. There's a spec for it in the WSM above. However, about 1.5" down to the release point sounds OK.

As the early style release mechanism wears, the clutch pedal free play decreases to the point where it disappears. At about that point, the clutch will slip with no down pressure on the pedal. It's best to re-adj the clutch when the freeplay has decreased to about 1/4" of pedal travel.

Make the adjustment using the turnbuckle style link between the lever arm that you pin w/ a #2 phillips screwdriver shaft (or a drill bit) & the arm coming out of the clutch housing.

DO NOT ADJUST THE END OF THE CABLE GOING TO THE PEDAL. The cable's length should not change from the oem setting. If the cable's starting to stretch, then it's about to fail & will also feel like the clutch release is sticking.

If you've run out of the turnbuckle style link, then it's time for a new clutch.

Sorry yelcab, but you're mistaken. The adjustment procedure is slightly different for the cars with the newer clutch release design.

308 W/NEW CLUTCH MECHANISM WEAR CHECK
    As the clutch wears, the pedal becomes higher, allowing the clutch to engage higher in the pedal travel. It's time to adj the clutch when the clutch pedal is about 1/4" higher than the brake pedal. (The WSM has a more precise spec, but this is a good rule of thumb.)

The clutch pedal height is adjustable. At rest, it should be at the same height as your brake pedal.

If clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal, adjust it per the procedure given in this link:

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/308QV_328_workshop.pdf
    Acrobat pg 81 of 115

If you can't bring the clutch pedal down to brake height w/the turnbuckle link adj, then it's time for a new clutch.

For some add'l tips on how to adj the new style clutch see:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/323913.html

Again, don't adj the end of the clutch cable.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    bump, so i can find this thread.

my old 308 had few miles on the clutch( 6000?). it would engage almost at the floor of the pedal travel. my new to me GTB supposedly has a Daytona clutch set up in it, with very few miles on it. however, it engages after the pedal is depressed about 2 incehes or so, and it clutch slips in 3<5 gear if you are on it really hard. i better check the pedal height relative to the brake pedal. i may be screwed and need a clutch :( . joy.