need help with 355 | FerrariChat

need help with 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by alanhenson, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have a rythmic thumping sound coming from the passenger footwell of my 1999 355 f1 spider. Anyone have any ideas. Does not increase in frequency or volume with revs.

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry, don't really have any ideas...but, are you hearing it when you are driving? only while driving? what about if it's stopped and just idling? Have you tried listening for it from outside? Checked for panels coming loose, maybe from the undertray? Perhaps it could be the fuse box lid in the footwell is loose?

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    not when stopped. It doen't sound like something loose. It sounds like some mechanical thumping.

4. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Let your wife out of the trunk and see if it stops.

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    It might be the dead hoe I ran over. Hhmm.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Funny you mention this, as I got a similar feeling from mine during the last drive. It's been driving me crazy -- what could it be?

7. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    You can feel it thump in mine. Yours too?

8. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Other than a body in the Boot...

Did you check to see if your Battery has come unlodged in the battery compartment in the right panel behind the tire... It also could be the cover itself wacking against the fender well.

The other thing to maybe look at is the vent in the boot... did you try shutting off the air with the Stop button... Could be the mechanical damper do hicky opening and closing.

just some thoughts...

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    No joke. I feel it in mine too. First I thought it was a flat -- checked, and no problem. Then I thought something was lodged in the tire (like a large stone) -- but then noticed that, like you mention, the regularity of the thumping is not really correlated to overall speed -- in fact, for me, it gets faint (or goes away) at higher speeds. Suffice to say, its driving me nuts.

Could you explain this some Richard, as I do have the air shut off with the "Stop" button?!

Thx.

10. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    If it sounds like it is clearly in the passenger side - probably not the air flow control valve - As you open the boot - you can see the air box just below your windshield - there is a little round damper in there that can get stuck or click open and shut - more like plastic on plastic sound... I had taken mine apart (have no idea what the parts are called - these are my own descriptive words).. but my was making a clicking kind of noise (could hear it through the vents...

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thx. Will check in the a.m.

12. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    The door for the air flow box will make that sound. When you select between "fresh air" or "recirculate" the door will open or close accordingly. However, even in "recirculate" the door opens automatically every 2 minutes or so (don't have book with me).

If you hear a "thump thump" about every one second pop the hood and look to see if it is the door slaming open and shut.

13. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    But that would not stop when he comes to a halt with the car.
    That BTW is also very rythmical. If it is uncoordinated it can be the batterie.

Good luck finding that :)

14. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am thinking the battery as well - thinking it may be "bouncing" in the wheel well.

15. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Opps..sure thing...did not read about no noise when stopped...yep, most likely battery..also while your there check the undercarraige skirts..sometimes a mechanic will omit a screw or two which holds it in place, if gets under there it could cause a flapping sound...
    :)

16. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    The sound is perfectley rythmical. Coudn't be a loose battery. You could set your watch by the sound.

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    flat spoted tire?