Young Ferrari owners, help me for a second..... | FerrariChat

Young Ferrari owners, help me for a second.....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jonesn, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    What sort of insurance payments should I expect if I owned a F355 Berlinetta at my age (22) with a history of three violations? Is it some astronomical amount per month?

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    With your age/profile, expect to pay lots of dollars. Do you have other cars insured?

3. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    I'm on my fathers policy at the moment, they offered to keep me on it until I'm 25 (love the folks).

Ballpark estimate is what I really need, to let me determine along with lease plan.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Will vary substantially based on geography. Not familiar with the insurance rates in Texas, but just to give you an idea, I've got a perfect driving record, and am paying $3,200 in NYC.

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is NO WAY to answer that without locatio. Heck, it can go from 1k -10k depends on where you live.

Also to me insurance is one of the myth that I really don't know how it works. For example a person just like me gets mad good rates with Progressive while I have to pay 3x. I do ok with Geico but he has high rates with Geico.

Also using ghost as example, I don't know how he manages 3200 on a F355 in NYC. I live in LI(which SHOULD be 30-40% cheaper than NYC), I am married and have perfect records too, but I pay amlost the same 3200 on a E46 M3! And you don't want to me know 996TT rate.

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Vik,

I think I only pay a little over $1000/year for my Daytona (will check tomorrow), but only in combination with the Cayenne Turbo. I have no mileage limit, but can only use the Daytona for pleasure trips (no running errands, or driving to work). In my case this is no problem, because I walk to work in NYC in under three minutes.

Rijk

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Makes sense to me Rijk, but the premium I pay is for the two key differences between your situation and mine:

(1) No combination car policy -- a huge disadvantage for me on rates
    (2) Car can be used without limit -- tried to get a 'collector car' rate, but wasn't offered it with give my situation (see point #1)

I know this isn't cheap, but whenever I get glum about, all I have to do is think about W00dEar and the rates he is paying, and life is all good again (just kidding, W00dEar -- still can't get over your rates, that's all :D)

8. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i was 26 when I got my 348ts that was in 1997, I also had a 94 corvette on the policy through progressive it was $422 per month I then switched the policy to chubbs they put the ferrari as a pleasure car and it droped the price to $180 I belive, so look around first because I do not know why I paid so much then so little.

john

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris

Hehe, no problem at all.
    In my young days, I used to pay $4k on a '97 Nissan Maxima, living in Queens. So, although high, the rates actually has been getting better/reasonable over the years since I got older and moved to LI. Oh well...

10. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    i pay $60 per month on my 308. its on collector car insurance under the same policy as my truck, RX-7 turbo, my suzuki 600 and my suzuki 1300. all in all i end up paying a little over $400 total per month. i think thats pretty good at 23.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

It must really make a difference when you cross 25 years old. Although my wife has been saying she's 24 for the last 12 years (you know how women are about their age), I passed that date many moons ago.

My 348ts:
    ============================================
    Liability 100/300
    Med 2000
    Comprehensive
    500 Deductible
    Towing
    Rental/Travel Coverage
    Uninsured/underinsured (bodily 100/300; property 25000)

$642.02 per year

Maybe I need more coverage or something? Seems like a good price to me. I figure if I totally destroy the car, I'll just get another. On the other hand, if it explodes in a firey heap, I won't exactly worry about replacement. Maybe if it were a 200K Murci, or 612, I'd feel different.