Procrastination | FerrariChat

Procrastination

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ralessi, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Does anyone have this problem? I am pretty extreme in that I put everything off to the last possible moment all the time. It is very depressing and I would like to change this. I guess I can give examples. Right now instead of, oh say going to sleep or doing homework, I am sitting on my computer at 1:48 doing, really, nothing.

Now I am a good student and all, and I get the things that need to be done, done, but not in the manner I would like to.

Anyone have any opinions on how to fix something like this? I guess I've heard all the normal things- make lists, just do it don't think about it etc. but I am not really sure. Has anyone ever used any other methods for this sort of thing or something else similar?

I just did a search on google and found this site -

http://www.wendi.com/procrastination/index.html

It is basically a hypnosis type program. Does that sort of thing actually work? I'm just sort of throwing around ideas but it does seem sort of interesting. If not for an actual effect for a sort of placebo effect, anyway.

Ok, time to put an end to my late night musings. Give me some advice :)

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Procrastination.... Hmmmm... let me get back with you next week on that.

3. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    It's my middle name. My wife swears I'm ADHD.Attention deficit. Start everything, finish nothing. Or put it off until the last second.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I think I'll post in here tomorrow.

DL

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Rikky, LOL, I know where you're coming from. I tend to procrastinate a lot too. When it comes to work I don't, I'm a fire-breathing SOB A-Type, but at home or around town it's a different story. If I have nothing pressing I can lay waste to useful free time with the best of them. As long as it's not affecting the priorities in your life I wouldn't worry too much.

Some people desire to cure cancer, build skyscrapers, change the world. In short, they do valuable things with their work and free time. I just desire to lay back in my hammock and wallow in my laziness while puffing pleasantly on a cigar.

FWIW, this site makes for an alternate form of pick-me-up in the morning. Nothing like having the reality of your life draining away in front of you to get you off your ass and out the door in the morning. www.deathclock.com

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Tyler,

I guess that is why you have not filled out your profile.

Rijk

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have an answer for you...I'll give it to you when I get around to it.

8. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Like registering for ROE.....

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    ralessi-

My advice, embrace it. Don't fight it. Who the hell says we all have to be 100% identical anal cubicle dwellers who make $66,000/year and over-pay all taxes withought question because they're afraid? Oh yeah, the gov't who runs our schools and perscribes ritilin. Well, **** THEM!

Take me for instance. I only remenber where I pick things up, not where I leave them.

Tools are a nightmare, I always loose the bastards (by putting them away!) What did I do? I bought *twenty* flourescent green tape measures. Now there's always one nearby.

The chaos works for me, I can't be worried about stupid tape measures while I'm building stuff!

Break the mold, do what you love, love those around you. Get done what you need on your terms, and to hell with the rest!

10. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

We procrastinators are not lazy, IMO. We do have issues with assigning priorities to tasks.

A friend of mine is working on a book about procrastination. Not about how to overcome it, but rather how to embrace it and use to lead a marginally productive but happy life. I predict it will be a best seller.

11. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Get back to you later on this one!!

12. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Ok, Ok.....ill ask the bloody question, what the F**k does Procast.....pocationa......procrastination mean?????

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    It means to put off from day to day or delay.

14. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    AAAAHH! Thanks Tonyh, now that explains the responces, nice one.

15. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I am one of the worlds worst whe it comes to this. It drives me crazy sometimes because I also look at it as lazy but then again I still get the jobs done...just usually at the last second. I think it's just genetic or at least that's my excuse.:)

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Step one - no more F-Chat! (Just Kidding)

I figured this out the hard way many years ago. Procrastination is not laziness. It simply means that you don't want to do those things that you should be doing because these things bore you. You instead do those things that interest you.

The only way to fight this is do it! Say that you don't want to make a phone call (because it will be bad news), the way to overcome this is to pick up the phone and start dialing before you have a chance to procrastinate. Do it, right now, don't think, don't delay, just do it.

The amazing this is how good you feel once you make the call because now you can spend time on F-Chat without feeling gulity.

Sounds simple, but the cure is to just do whatever chore you have to do and get it over with. Works for me, well sometimes...

Dr "Tardy" Tax

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Geez.

When did you first think about posting this question?

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm also a last-minute kind of person (and a night-owl), but it hasn't affected my options in life too much. But like the wise Dr. mentioned about procrastinators, I struggle to do things that aren't an interesting challenge. Should see my dishes and laundry piles here (wife's been away a while). Personally, I absorb and process information rather quickly, and am fascinated by new things, but tire of repetitive processes or mundane tasks and tend to put them off (typical ENFP). That's the only thing that scares me about lawyering.

I used a Palm Pilot for 6mos last year to manage my To Do's and my stress level shot up 5000% - something about constantly seeing all my deadlines simultaneously shook me up and made me really antsy/fidgety. For me, what works best is to write a to do list on a scrap sheet of paper and keep it in the front slip of my main binder, and refer to it only a few times a day.

Funny you mention the phone, Dr.Tax, as I used to be really bad about phoning people - especially for official business/gov't/bank things. The possibility of bad news or new responsibilities/stresses was almost paralyzing. I've gotten over it for the most part after years of forcing myself, but I still get a lump in my stomach when I have to call to handle a billing error, arrange services, etc. Ironically, I can talk to people/strangers in person all day long, but phone communication with strangers is still awkward and stressful. But, you have to do it.

19. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Yep, since day one of life I've conditioned myself to finish things right before they're due. Thing is, though, by doing things (that I don't want to) adequately at the last minute has made me EXTREMELY good at working on my interests from the start.

It sounds strange, but my years of procrastinating duties put on me by others has made me into a very productive person for my own projects. One of the ironies of life I suppose.

20. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Sorry, can't help with advice here. I'm an obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive perfectionist pr!ck who will never know the meaning of the word...

21. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Wow, seems to be a trend here :)

Although I admit that I do not want to be doing the things I should be doing (boring repetitive homework, scholarships, etc.) I do not seem to really want to do anything. It is really sad. I need to just buckle down and start doing it. I don't really have any passion or interest except killing time. I mean I love Ferraris and F1 etc., but nothing like I should be doing.

I try to read about stocks and playing the market but I just eventually stop, same with real estate etc. I am not sure what gives. I need to get with the program. It is depressing.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am doing it by just reading this thread....

23. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am at work and I am reading your stuff. @#%&????

Yes, I have the same problem and I wish there was a cure to this.

There is however one exception to this "last moment" thing. I always put on the condom in good-timing fashion, instead of leaving it till the last minute.

24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    STANDS UP AND CHEERS!

I could not have said it better myself.