Are Discounttire lifts safe for 355 | FerrariChat

Are Discounttire lifts safe for 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by alanhenson, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have a 1999 355 f1 spider and I need the tires balanced. Are the lifts at discount tire safe for my car.

2. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The lifts are safe, but the technician may not be. The greatest risk of damage is not from the lift but from mishandling when they perform the balance. Ask if they have the newest Hunter machine (forgot the model number). The wheels are magnesium and are easy to damage if not handled properly or put on an older machine not suited for them. Discount Tire can be hit or miss. Some are very good, some are not.

Ask here for a recommendation in your area or call your local f-car wrench and ask where they go.

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Thanks jacermc. The wheels are HRE though. So I guess they are a little safer.

4. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    I have a set of $4000 wheels thrashed by them. I was in a hurry and knew better, shoulda known better after this... On my 4-Runner these a-holes took a 5lb. SLEDGE to my wheels to get them off the hub as they had corroded over the winter. They put a piece if wood behind it but were 1 for 10 on actually hitting the wood and not the rim. Finally they cracked the lip right off. Problem was I had asked twice if they could remove stock wheels (reaosn my dad and I didn't do it) they said yes of course. PLEASE they than asked me to split the price of a new rim like they were doing me a favor. I was livid and refused to leave until he ordered me a new wheel and gave me a spare till it arrived for free. That place is BAD.

Kyle

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    that sucks. they were great for me. They lifted my car very carefully with floor jacks and took the lugs offby hand. They did a great job and it rides perfect now.