COMPARISON -Z06, Viper | FerrariChat

COMPARISON -Z06, Viper

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by warrenn, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Just wondering if any of you guys know firsthand the difference in feel between an '01 Z06 and an '02 Z06. does the extra 20hp make a huge difference?

Also, anyone ever get to drive a 2000-2002 Viper yet? What are those like compared to a Z06?

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Ive heard that although the 20 HP difference is basically unnoticeable (maybea tenth of a second here and there) the 405 was the originally conceived number, the 385 HP was a rushed item, and is not as durable...although on the flip side, Im guessing that that makes the 385 HP one cheaper to buy now.

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think I can make this comparo pretty good because my cousin owns a 01 Z06 black with red and black interior, and my uncle owns an 02 viper yellow black interior. The main difference between the two cars is the functionality. The Z06 can really be driven all the time and at posted speed limits. The Viper always begs to be driven hard. Make sure you get a viper with ABS after 01 I believe. Also, The viper has a very tight cabin with a wide center console. Getting in and out is tough also because the car has a wide door sill. On the power end of things. The viper is a beast. The car will break loose the tires in almost everygear, and is much harder to drive at the edge then the Z06 with about every driver aid imaginable. The pedals on the viper are adjustable which the z06's aren't. The V10 sucks gas while the Z06 doesn't do that bad. The viper has no forced 1-4 shift like the vette which makes life easier. The Z06 has amazing brakes which I put a hair ahead of the viper. But, as a weekend car you have to go with a viper. The car is a beast in everyform of the word. There isn't even a gas strut to hold the trunk open on the viper. But, right now you can pick up 01 Z06's for the low 30's. An 01 or later viper is about 50+. My uncle paid 58k for his 02 viper with 3200 miles on it.
    Erik

4. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    My 04 Z06 gets 19 MPG in town. The CAGS (as the 1-4 shift is officially called) can be easily gotten around with a resister, 5 for a dollar from Radio Shack, installed at the transmission.