85 Testarossa air pump trashed !! | FerrariChat

85 Testarossa air pump trashed !!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wpdent, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wpdent

wpdent Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I have an 85 Testarossa US version and the air pump sounds like it has come apart. I lifted the car and verified this was in fact what it was. The belt pulley is not aligned with the rest of the pump. Does anyone have any suggestions on a rebuild kit for this pump or am I going to have to buy a new one? I have searched the threads and have found very little info on these pumps. Is it rare they go bad?

Thanks!!

Patrick

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's really two components -- an EM clutch and the air pump. The EM clutch should only be engaged during cold-running so usually:

a bad air pump = noise when cold, but no noise when warm
    or
    a bad clutch = no noise cold, but noisy warm

However, your observation that something is wrong enough to have noticeable mechanical misalignment of the pulley sounds fairly extreme (and if you have noise both cold or warm then something is way bad) . If you remove the V-belt you should be able to give each component a hand-spin to gauge health/non-health. Good luck (unfortunately, either component will probably be pricey :().

3. germanrod33

germanrod33 Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    German A. Rodriguez
    I have the same problem, but....is necesary to have the air pump working? Which is the funcionality?
    Thank you!!

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The air pump supplies air to the catalytic converters (primarily during warmup) to improve their effectiveness. Once the engine is hot, they really don't need the help. Unless you live somewhere that does emission testing on old cars, you could just remove the belt and forget about it.

5. germanrod33

germanrod33 Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    German A. Rodriguez
    Thank you very much!!!! such a great answer