E type Vs 67 Vette | FerrariChat

E type Vs 67 Vette

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I love both these cars & I'd love to have 2 roadsters parked in my garage.
    Ive already got a 68 & 93 Vette so I suppose I should go for the E type first.
    Is an E really monstrously unreliable ? Can it be made reliable with modern electronics ? Whats the maintenance like on an E ? Can it possibly be used as a daily driver in good weather only ?
    Thanks

I know my way around Vettes pretty well now

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Search Web Sites for Vicarage jaguar in miami beach...He just finished an e type for Nicolas Cage...better than new quality and reliability...+ a 5 speed box, larger brakes, and triple webers..
    Try This One..... http://www.vicarage-jaguar.com/ldphotos.html

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    William, this is based more on my experience with motorcycles than the cars, but the Brits had many, many issues during the 50s and 60s (and probably the 70s as well).

Can you say Sir Lucas, the Prince of Darkness?

Yes, retrofitting electronic ignition does a world of good and should be mandatory. But you really need to do a complete redo of all the electrics. For example, the type of connectors typically used were just pure junk and need to be replaced. I don't know how many connectors are on an E type. My guess is a lot.

The Brits also had a problem understanding metallurgy. How hard can it be to make a decent value guide? Plus, they didn't understand that you can't put the same metal back to back. For example, in Triumph motorcycles, the carb bodies and slides were both made of zinc. Guess what happens when zinc and zinc rub against each other? For some reason, they always seemed to decide to stick together at wide full trottle. Makes for interesting times.

You can actually fix the oil leak problem with what is called gorrilla snot or one of the Japanese sealants. But don't make the mistake of using Mobil 1.

That said, an E Jag or a Triumph Bonneville are two of the prettiest designs ever, IMNSHO. (The early Rolls were pretty good looking also.)

I say go for it, but make sure that you buy a mechanic along with the car.

Dr "Hail Britanna" Tax

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    e types are hard all around. absolutely stunningly beautiful but fragile.

here is a link to a story about a company in britain that will rebuild any or all of the etype of your choice - and make it into a modern porsche eater! but it costs.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=99&i=4176

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    William, one of my favorites also..so sexy! get it!

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Will, there is a british company that completely rebuilds old E types from the ground up and corrects most if not all of the issues that are chronic to the car. They are not concours then, but they dont rust, they start up everytime, etc etc. I can't seem to recall the name of that company right now..

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats the link i sent him. they are called eagle, and they build the perfect etype

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yup, Ross thats it, I didnt read my way down the thread until after I posted...

9. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Get the 67 vett, My fav. years for the vett.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Cooling, brakes, arm rests. If its original, don't get depressed by a little gap here and there at the trunk or the bottoms of the doors. :D

Yes, they can be MADE reliable since they didn't leave the factory that way. Any E-Type that is not a daily driver, you can figure in $10-15k to make it a great driver and twice that if you want a perfect car you wouldn't want to put through daily rigors.

Edit: One more thing, while considered the most beautifully proportioned/looking E-Type is the Series 1, the seats in the "1 1/2" and on are much better if your going to be touring.

Sunny

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

E types had three distinct models. Type I is the most valuable, 6 cyl engine, covered headlights, etc. Type II uncovered the headlights to meet US specs and enlarges to 6 cyl engine, Type III was the last model type and added the v12. While having the v12 is cool, it really did very little for the performance of the car, and made them nose heavy, and added colling problems.

Yes, Brit cars and Lucas electrics have some issues. But electronic ignition helps, as does good maintenance and some re-wiring as necessary. My recollection is that they have maybe 2 dozen circuits and fuses.

A good type I car will set you back $50K or more, the later models drop off appropriately. Coucours condition is significantly higher.

If you would like a VERY NICE type I, I have a friend who has one for sale. Low miles, very clean, just serviced by my Brit car mechanic. I gave the car some thought but I'm trying to reduce, not enlarge, my car inventory at the moment.

If you'd like to see pix, and are interested, drop me a pm.

Jag E type roadsters are among the most beautiful cars ever built. Every time I see one, I want one. If you're looking, and are willing to deal with some of the quirks that go along with British cars, GO FOR IT.

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

William, next time you are in NY. Call me I have a 65 which was a concours car when I bought it 5years ago. Have done several upgrades and it is reliable and plenty of fun as a cruiser.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Great, thanks, I'll be in CT for the summer in late May

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#14 dm_n_stuff, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017