Carl Roberts' Miami Vice Testarossa (Crockett's stunt car) | FerrariChat

Carl Roberts' Miami Vice Testarossa (Crockett's stunt car)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by atomsrock, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Does anyone know of the where abouts of this Testarossa/Pantera conversion?

2. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Testarossa/Pantera conversion". I thought FNA provided two Testarossa's that were black for the show. They were painted white after a few shows and returned to the Ferrari Dealer in Fla after the show. I saw one right after they showed up at the Ferrari Dealer, it was trashed.

Steve Eckhoff at Ferrari of Atlanta was at the dealer at the time. You might call him and ask if he knows anything.

Roy

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

The car that was used for the stunts was a modified Ford Pantera with a TR body kit on it.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    "The Testarossa debuted in the 1986 fall season opener as a black version driven by IRA gunrunner Sean Carroon. The exoticar was a fitting image for high rolling terrorists dealing in hand held Stinger missiles. Although the episode credits read "Crockett's Car Furnished by Ferrari North America", Sonny was yet to drive his new car.

Michael Mann needed a plot device to introduce the Testarossa, so he had the gunrunners launch a Stinger missile at Crockett's prized Daytona and blew it up before his very eyes. A month later (the next episode), Lt. Castillo told a still-grieving Crockett to check out back for his new car. Sonny was greeted by a white Testarossa, Florida license plate ATF00M. He proudly recited the specs of his new toy to Rico, "345 hp and 180 mph!" Much like his treatment of women, Sonny soon forgot about his past relationship and eagerly moved on to the new.

Two show cars were provided by Ferrari North America and were originally delivered black, but were later repainted white for better contrast at night. In addition, a stunt car was created by the Roberts Motor Co. by beefing up a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera chassis with salvaged Testarossa body parts. The mid-engined Pantera replicated the Ferrari much closer than the Corvettes which were used to create the Daytona look-alikes."

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    #5 tifosi69, Mar 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Ah yes... I remember well, the good 'ol days of Miami Vice, IMHO the best show on television ever! I remember fondly the Testarossa intro because that was THE Ferrari at the time and I was in love! If they are bringing back a Magnum PI movie they NEED a Miami Vice movie as well IMHO. BTW, thanks for the walk down nostalgia lane.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Ditto that. I tell my wife that just about every day. I loved Miami Vice.

BTW, she always comes back with some kind of "you can take boy out of Miami but you can't take the Miami out of the boy," kind of comment.

EDIT: When I was a little kid, I once saw the cars at Shelton for service, including the Pantera/TR.

7. Alanmondial

Alanmondial Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Alan Butler
    I think I can safely say that Miami Vice started my passion for Ferraris. I can still remember the poster on my bedroom wall of the Daytona from the show. Back then I thought it really was a Daytona! Ah, those were the days. Funnily enough they never seem to show re-runs of it on this side of the world. Pity.

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wayne, you're good! That's from the Popular Mechanics article isn't it? I used to have that issue, but it's gone now. IIR, they also covered his 10mm S&W and some other behind the scenes from the show.

Dave

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Does anyone know what ever happened to the two Testarossas? I recall USA Network gave one away in a contest.

Brian

10. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    didnt ferrari sue them for making a replica without thier permission?

11. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Is "funnily" a word?

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the 10mm was BREN - TEN 10mm. rather rare in the gun world. S&W did not make a 10mm during that time.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I loved the Daytona (even though it was a spider) ... I remember one episode when he went for a long fast drive somewhere and all you heard was the engine and a good song (can't remember the song ;)) in the background ... just awesome!

Still watched it when they updated to the Testarossa ... but oh that Daytona.

I also remember one episode when they poured something into it ... NOW THAT WAS NOT FUNNY.

Great show, love to see a re-run ...

Pete

14. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Ah yes, I think I recall that episode; Crocket cruising along a bridge late at night deep in thought with "Crocket's Theme" playing in the background....pure genius! Several years later in college, I would always think of that scene when I'd be rocketing home late at night from my girlfriend's in my Ansa piped 240z, amazing how big of an impression a show like that can leave on a youngen.

Of course, you could be talking of a completly different episode, heheh!

15. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH

Ferrari sued Tom Mcburnie who made the Daytona replicas. Thats when Ferrari gave Miami Vice the 2 TRs, so they would have real Ferraris to use. The show used to be on USA or TNN for awhile, not sure if it is anymore. One of my favorite shows!!!

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds right, I even remember the bridge ... and yes I have thought of that scene many times blasting along late at night!

Pete

17. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I agree. I remember that he was also using a S&W 4506 from time to time.

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    agreed. love the 10mm till i had to buy the damn bullets. the .44 auto mag i had was worse though. ( from one of the Dirty Harry movies)

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I don't know about anywhere else in the Country. But,up here in Chicago,we get "Miami Vice" Tues-Fri. on the "Spike TV network' (Formerly TNN) At 09:00AM every morning.

And,on "The Hallmark Channel". We get "Magnum P.I." every day Mon.-Fri. at 5:00PM.

Love those old shows. I once taped every single episode of Magnum. But,because there were about 150 episodes,had to put 8-1 hour episodes on each tape. In SLP mode. So,a tad "Grainy".

20. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm still comptemplating the SL600, XKR, or a used TR..... tough decision. I'd like to locate to the actual stunt car, it would be nice to have the Ford product to beat to death.

21. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My bad! I just remember the 10mm and also seeing that distinctive S&W profile and rear sight. IIR 10mm and .40 both came out around the same time, whatever happened to the 10mm? My buddy had a 10mm Glock in the late 80's, I picked a .40 and still own one. I'm sure his is long gone. :)

Dave

22. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I remember the first episode when they introduced the white TR in the series.

23. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
  24. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    So since the question hasn't been possed or answered, who is the Carl Roberts referred to on this thread? I wanna know if I own a Ferrari somewhere that I never took delivery on!

Carl Roberts

25. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I am not sure that his first name is Carl, but he is the guy whose company built BOTH the Daytona spider replica and the stunt car for Miami Vice.

I am close personal friends with Tom Shaw, who worked on the Miami Vice project.

I have a dozen corporate T-Shirts. They are too small for me. so I hang them on my walls. I will post pictures in a little while as my camera just died.

I will post them in Collectibles.