Giving drives to friends | FerrariChat

Giving drives to friends

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mhh, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm sure this thread has been done before, but forgive me. I've got a new Gallardo (I know, I should be asking Other Italian but it's too quiet over there) and I'm interested in how others handle the difficult question of whether to offer friends a drive. Of course many are happy with just a ride in the passenger seat, but you can see in the eyes of some that only a try behind the wheel will satisfy. And who can blame them. In 3 weeks, I've only given 2 friends a drive (with me on board, of course), and they both took the car faster than I've been! I didn't mind it as they are excellent drivers, but it got me thinking about test drive etiquette.

Do you hand the keys to friends when you have a new car and say "Go on, you drive"?

mhh

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Depends on how you feel about walking down the highway, picking up loose debris......

My .02, your warranty break in period!

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Look at it this way, in the shotgun seat, THEY have the topless dancer in the lap! HTH

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Whenever I have the feeling that my "Passenger" is inkling after a drive I say to them"look how would you feel if you damaged it" this has always worked for me.

5. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    What happens when the call your bluff with "Well what about the abandoned millitary base, 10 square miles of asphalt" :D

Kyle

6. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    If they really want a test drive let 'em go by the dealer.

If they are really good friends they won't put you in that difficult position where you have to tell them no.

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Kyle,if you notice where I live that just ain"t going to happen,but anyways my answer would be they still get damaged in that scenario also.

8. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    Ahh yes I know just a bit of a joke. Growing up in San Antonio Texas my father being govt. had millitary ID to access Brooks AFB which was great as the ENTIRE airfield was open (we used it for RC planes) but my dad would often let me drive the car around as a kid because I would probably run out of gas before I came near ANYTHING haha.

Kyle

9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    If your friends (Close Friends) A.) Are good drivers and B.) Have respect for cars - go for it.

I have several close F-car friends as well as non-F-car friends that I let drive my car. Granted most of the time - I am with them in the passenger seat. However - I have done this and usually my friends either end up getting an F-Car or they become enthusiasts and attend events, etc.

Part of the F-car ownership experience is to share knowledge and even rides - as long as they respect you and your car - which if they are friends - this should be the case already.

I will give one caviot - I live in Cincinnati - where the roads are wide open - little traffic, etc. When I lived in Downtown Chicago - different story... I let them drive the Jag :)

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If your friends take it 'faster than you have', you need friends that respect others property.

11. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Richard, I'm glad to hear you say that part of the experience is sharing rides. I agree. I couldn't bear not to let a friend drive my Lambo if they wanted to and were a good driver. It is part of the fun to give them something they maybe can't get themselves. Needs to be a quiet road, though......

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The only person that I would let drive my car is someone that has an F car themselves, preferably one that is a litle difficult to drive (i.e. TR) and would respect my car more than their own. That's pretty much the only case.

13. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jimpo1 - I've been pretty gentle so far so it wasn't that bad. Anyhow, the running in instructions only refer to giving the tyres an easy first few miles so it shouldn't be hurting the car. I told them to take it easy though - mostly because I don't want a photo of the car turning up in the mail from the Police Department's speed control unit.

14. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    I'm quite happy to take friends for a ride however I don't think I would let them drive my baby.The only person I have let drive the car is my brother who is a car and ferrari fan.Every time I see him in the car I let him drive it.It's worth it just to see the pleasure/joy in his face.
    Daz
    P.S. I often let strangers sit in the car as it makes their day especially kids.One of the joys of Fcar ownership.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Tell them that you checked with your insurance co. and you are the only one insured. Sorry, man!

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've let several people drive my car. For me, it depends on my assessment of that persons character. If I feel like I can trust them, then no problem.

My car is only a GT4, so it may not be worth as much as the newer cars, but anyway, that's what you've got insurance for.

Dom
    (Freezing my butt off in baltimore this week)

17. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I would say definately yes. But only to a "best" friend. You know he/maybe she wants to drive it and if not asked will feel slighted. And if it is a best friend you should fell comfortable establishing ground rules prior to the drive and your friend should respect your wishes. Of course they have to be a competent driver.
    T

18. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I let several of my friends drive my 355 when I had it. I am more than happy to let my friends drive my car, even if I am not in it. IMO if you do not trust them with your life (or Ferrari) they are really just aquaintances. That is why I only have about 5 friends.
    Cheers

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If I trust a person, then I let them drive the car - The more expensive the car, the greater the trust needs to be! So I can say that some people that I let drive the 328 around the parking lot, I would not have let drive a new lambo. Jordan gets a shot at all my cars though. :)

20. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Having moved to the area about just 1 1/2 years ago, most of my friends here I met at the track. Most of them are instructors and therefore much better drivers than me. There are a few I am close enough with that I would have no problem letting them drive. There are friends that I am closer with that I would never let drive, simply because they do not have the experience with similar cars. I guess for me my rule is you have to be a close friend and a better driver than I am to take the keys.

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've driven 5 Ferraris in the last 8 months; one of which, i've driven more than the other 4 combined...!

However, i've been in a really long list of Ferraris as a passenger and never felt slighted when the owner/driver didn't toss me the keys... If you get that impression from your friends, i would question THAT and not what you should say if they ask you if they can drive...

On any given weekend that i'm at Bruce's house, he might take the car out, come back and say, "Ok, she's all yours" and toss me the keys... i've taken his car out BY MYSELF on several occasions... There are other weekends where i ride shot gun and don't drive... i don't feel slighted if he doesn't toss me the keys; it's a privilege to just RIDE in the damn thing...!

If your friends truly don't understand the value/consequences behind owning a Ferrari/letting someone else drive it, then there's nothing wrong with explaining it to them... Lastly, even though you have insurance, if you still feel uncomfortable letting someone drive it, then use the insurance excuse mentioned above...

i was out in California last year and Bob Callahan let me drive his 355 Spider (only about an hour after Ron Shirley let me drive his Mondial!)... We went for a cruise and i scraped the bottom of the bumper on a bump in the road, removing paint about the size of a dime... Did he forgive me for it...? i think so, yeah, but i don't think i'll ever forgive myself... i would've been happier if it never happened, but the possibilities of a situation like that are endless... What if i cracked or broke the bumper...? What if i swerved to avoid the bump and hit another car...? What if i :::gulp::: totalled it...? Sure his insurance would pick up the tab but that creates a WHOLE LOTTA TROUBLE for him... One minute you're letting someone drive your Ferrari, the next minute, you're calling a flat bed to pick up your totalled, wrecked, mangled sports car that won't be replaced until after extensive paper work and phone calls have been completed and your insurance rates double and.......

See what i'm saying...?

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #22 BigTex, Mar 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now letting your friend drive your SPEEDBOAT with your gf in it while you strap on a parasail with 250' of line, now I can count THOSE guys on about three fingers of one hand.

Speaking of that, reach over to the shelf and pour me three fingers would ya?
    About that time of day!

Ta ta lads, Im off!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I personally didn't work my butt off earning money for someone else to drive the fruits of my labor. I also use the excuse that my insurance company won't allow other people to drive the vehicle. I always have to visualize the worst case scenarios. I'll always be a Nervous Nellie type in any vehicle where I don't have control. In this instance, it wouldn't be worth it to let someone else take the wheel, especially since I'd wear out the imaginary brake on the passenger floor board...

24. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop

i simply tell them they can drive my Ferrari if I can sleep with their daughter, seems like a fair trade. I havnt had to let anyone drive my car yet.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Recent news has had several people hurt, or even killed in borrowed Ferraris.

Remember, in my case, MY insurance covers people with permission to operate the car!

That said, I let trusted friends drive the car, no worries.