AM DB9 | FerrariChat

AM DB9

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ze_shark, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Stumbled on a DB9 this week-end in Monaco, development car with two test drivers on a reliability test program, a couple of stickers here and there but the car is truly gorgeous, a serious contender for a Maranello. Exterior styling is truly beautiful.
    The A pillar seem just a thick as on a Vanquish, but the rear is way classier IMO.
    The guys told me that the exhaust note will be muted compared to a Vanquish to preserve an edge to the high end model.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    agree, from the pics it looks like a winner. i also was wondering what they would do to keep the vanquish ahead, but heard that they are upping the power to 530bhp, as well as keeping the great exhaust note. i wonder what will happen to vanquish prices once it comes out? currently their resale here in the uk is amazingly high, around $200k for up to 2 years old ! but bet that drops in a hurry.

3. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    I think AM is coming out with a great line up of cars, AMV8 (2005-6?), Db9 and Vanquish. IMO these cars look extremly good and the interiors are exquisite. I hope the leather doesn't deteriorate too badly.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes and no. i like the look, unfortunately they all look the same....there is very little differentiation between the models.

6. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    It's absolutely gorgeous, and in no way does the current Maranello hold a candle to it, but I'm not driving a slush-box.

Aston unwisely dropped the Vanquish's semi-auto gearbox from the option list on the DB9, and that killed it for me. I don't want to have to sweat traffic jams in my luxury GT cruiser, and I don't want a full-auto box either.

So disappointing, because that car is stunning, moreso than even than the Vanquish which it now renders somewhat obsolete.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    talk about a car maker that got the tail end of a car perfect... the DB9 is it. Interesting thought about this car needing the paddles because it's a GT. Hadn't thought of that, but I think you're probably right.

8. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Look at this picture of the DB9's interior. Look at it. THAT IS THE FACE OF GOD IN THERE, lol.

http://www.highresautoimages.com/1600/astonmartin/db914.html

This show car pic has the paddles featured, it was only recently that Aston's management put the kibosh on the MM gearbox unit.

So sad, that car is insane. A perfect second car GT compliment to a hardcore modified Gallardo, or a Stradale, etc.

Why Aston, WHY!

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    haha, seriously. I'm such a sucker for wood.
    On that note, many automakers are putting in really dark stained wood these days - I'm not a fan. The only non-Walnut wood I've ever liked is the light wood used with the tan interior in the Audi A8. Other than that, they should stick with the burl walnut, IMO. The grain is just to die for.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    That's a car I'd give up my Ferrari for. It's gorgeous.

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I agree, simply stunning!!! Love the car! The Vanquish is getting a horsepower bump as well, plus there updating the interior for a better look.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
  14. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    As I have said a few times before I think the DB9 is superior to the Vanquish in nearly every respect. Putting aside the value of the Vanquish name, it seems rational for AM to drop the car entirely and produce a high performance 'Vanquish' version of the DB9. I hardly think the Vanquish's carbon fiber reinforced A-pillars are worth an additional $80,000 over the DB9. On the other hand, a turbo upgrade for the same price, while still not a good value, at least provides a tangible benefit