Iraq 1 year later- How do we get out? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Iraq 1 year later- How do we get out?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by cbstd, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    This was _the_ policy instituted by western powers, everywhere, and relies on the western concept of nationalism.
    Interesting ... in our very modern epoch, when nation states are
    challenged by the US, which is seeking a global monopoly on the authorized use of force.

The US gov is quite simply readapting the McDonalds corporate strategy.
    Its opponents have introduced "market reforms" / competition, within the global "use of force" business. Unsurprisingly, the US, once again shows its deep distaste for 'capitalism'. Then again, competition _is_ for the unfit,
    as most McDonalds customers a m p l y illustrate .... from McChicken to McQueda -> http://www.obesity.org

2. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003

Could you elaborate? I was under the impression what toppled communism was
    rock music, undoubtedly the right's favorite genre, right after "yo, martha, bring me another american 'beer' before i kill myself" and economic sanctions,
    because the US simply cannot compete without brute force.

>safer.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9901/02/murder.rate/

http://www.obesity.org

Safe - another superlative capitalist product, right after plastic cups and
    disposable human beings, aka. modern employees.

3. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >Iraq 1 year later- How do we get out?

A more aprop question may be - USA 1 year later- How do we get out

Simply pathetique

4. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Curious to know if anyone on this board who makes sweeping comments about the US in Iraq has actually lost a son or a brother over there and can tell me the sacrifice is worth it. I can't really see how anybody else is qualified to.
    All the newspapers ever say daily is "2 more US soldiers killed" although there was a brief special when the toll reached 500, no doubt there will be another when it reaches 1000. It would do some good to accompany this debate with a list of the Coalition casualites (names/age) to keep the real cost in perspective.

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    RIGHT ON TIFOSI! Notice after I answered Art's ridiculous claims he disappreared off this thread, like he always does because he has NO answers and he knows his comment about Kerry and the UN is PREPOSTEROUS!

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I have a different kind of answer -- IMO, we're not getting out of anywhere ever again (even if the troops are not there physically).

We tried the laizze-faire approach to terrorism -- it didn't work too well...

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You are probably correct. The USA is now a lot like the Roman Empire in that it is The Global Superpower. Biggest problem the Romans had was having their troops stretched too thin.

Heres a thought, We establish an American"Foreign Legion" whereby we accept Mexicans & other people from S America into the US Armed forces with a contract that if they serve for 10 years they can then get US citizenship for themselves & their spouse/kids. Could be a good way to kill 2 birds w 1 stone. We could position these troops in the hinterlands of Afghanistan, Iraq, etc and thus have less US soldiers at risk. Just a thought

8. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Q: Iraq 1 year later- How do we get out?

A: Peace with honor - just like Viet Nam.

My only real question is: who in the Sam Hill thought a radical Muslim nation would welcome being occupied by a Christian nation with open arms????

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Politicians who have never served in the military.

WHen Jesse Ventura was asked by a reporter about why our troops were being attacked he succinctly stated "DUH!!!! what did you expect? "

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

Bottom line: We're not getting out. The Shiites are not going to honor the "new constitutioin" even though they signed it. A reading of some of the Arab news is that they are essentially waiting for the transfer of power, and their going to do what their going to do. I suspect once the time limit for the US troops, written into the new constitution expires in 05, they'll throw us out, and do what they think is appropriate, i.e., impose a government which we won't like one little bit. Time will tell.

Bottom line: wasn't necessary, will cost us much money, and the end result isn't going to be what we'd hoped for. Dumb. Whoever though we'd be welcomed must have been smoking something. I don't know what to say about those that continue to believe them however. That speaks even louded about the listeners.

As for Reagan: Interestingly enough, the Russian version is somewhat different than the Reagan version: The Russians believe that their new missle would defeat any such Star Wars that Reagan envisioned, and therefore they don't think that Reagan did much to cause this trouble. I don't recall the name of the missle, but it is able to change its course after launch and upon re-entry, thus making any attempt to intercept it very difficult or impossible. That's one reason they didn't object to much to our putting up a defensive shield, they knew they could defeat it.

They believe that the system failed them, and they came apart. I suspect the truth is somewhat in between the two versions.

Art

11. ART360

ART360 Guest

William:

That's why we have so many people from Asia in the USA now. During and after the second world war, people from the Phillipines were given that option, and a good many took it. Worked then, I don't know about now.

Art

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sorry art, can't agree.
    we'll be there with a military presence for the rest of your life. and that will be a good thing. you need to start being a little more optimistic about life. for as long as i've known you, you have shown yourself to be a glass-half-empty person. and this can't be good for your health !

13. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    We will have a military presence in Iraq until for many years or until we break our dependence on Oil. The reality is that we are the worlds single superpower. While be a "nice" superpower we are still basically an imperial nation that takes what we want. It's part of being "the superpower"

While there may be many people complaining about IRAQ @ the moment, there will be many more complaining if we have another embargo and have lines and $5 a gallon gas.

The ultimate answer is alternative fuels, but we have to make a conscious decision to go in this direction. It's ridiculous that we don't use more methanol for instance.

14. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    "The troops will come home in 2009, after Hillary Clinton is elected on that platform."

Hitlery Clinton...God forbid!!