Obtaining court documents? | FerrariChat

Obtaining court documents?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    is it possible for a member of the public to buy a transcript and/or documents relating to a current court case?

pm me if you need additional info and can help

cheers

chris

2. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    generally speaking you can order copies of any publicly filed document at the Courthouse and many Federal Court Documents are available online at Pacer

3. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rich is correct. In fact, in some states, like Wisconsin, there is a public record source in which documents can be obtained from the internet.

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    do you know if that applies to the uk as well?

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

You can obtain filings from the court. For the vast majority these are public documents, and for the cost of reproduction, you can get copies. Transcripts on the other hand are usually not available, unless the case is on appeal. You can obtain the name of the court reporter, and request a transcript, but you can roughly estimate the cost of this at about $1,000 per day. On the other hand, if the case is on appeal, you can usually obtain copies of the transcript from either the reporter (as a drastically reduced price) or the Court of Appeals where the appeal was filed.

Art

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I litigated in the U.K. (using a solicitor and barrister) in the early 1990s. It is my recollection that you can obtain those documents unless they are under seal. As you know, the case is moved from judge to judge in each proceeding until trial. There is, similar to the U.S., a court in which the matter is heard and documents can be obtained through that court. You might also call the solicitor or barrister if you know who they were.

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm new to this, so sorry if these questions are dumb. How exactly can i find out who to contact?

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

Depending on where the matter is filed, some courts now scan everything and put it on their web site. If you need a hand, PM me and if I can help, I will.

Art

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Then why won't someone get the pics of Paul Frame as a fuzzy, huh???

I hear scantily clad women and handcuffs are also involved!!

Fchat members NEED to know! Maybe in Off Topic. ;)

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    speedy, dude you kill me man!!!! LMAO!