If this is true, I feel bad for Cayenne owners. | FerrariChat

If this is true, I feel bad for Cayenne owners.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ekasilicon, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Never did like the Porsche. What next a Porsche mini van? Or how about a Porsche economy car?

Ferdinand must be stiring...

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    >>What next a Porsche mini van? Or how about a Porsche economy car?<<
    I think Porsche Bankruptcy court...they started incentives again as well. Arrogant AND old product. My wife likes the Cayenne, I won't allow one in the garage...I'm an old "real Carreras have air-cooled four cams " kind of guy. Hope they choke on their inventory until they bring back a 993-like car that is pretty and fun to drive. New TT's are fast buicks....

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Sounds about right, those Cayennes are heinous! To each his own though...

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    It's not too surprising. I just cannot see that thing being a long term car for Porsche. I don't care what it drives like, IMHO it's the ultimate sell out vehicle.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    According to the Cayenne/Rover thread, that's about what the residual value of the Porsche should be.........in 4 years!

6. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    From everything I’ve read, the Cayenne was a “bet the company” program with a new factories to pay for and little R&D spent on other the platforms. The dealers have tons of inventory, and I’ve only seen 2 on the road. Meanwhile new Hummers H2, and Landrovers, etc. are everywhere. I love my Porsche, but feel they have lost their way in styling, product positioning (now is that a Turbo, Turbo X50, GT2, or GT3???) and strategy (no factory race programs, and an overpriced SUV to show for it). Pretty sad.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Porsche pick-up truck. I once read an article,a few years ago. That was talking about how special Ferrari's are. (WE already KNOW THAT!) But,it went on to say something like, "Owning a Ferrari is VERY special. Porsche makes more cars in ONE year then Ferrari has made in 50. (at the time of the article) And That,my friends is a VERY SPECIAL CLUB!"

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I read some time back that porsche was developing an economy roadster to help raise profits for the company. I think it's supposed to compete with miatas and such, price under 30k. This was a while back though and I haven't heard anything about it since.

9. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    HA!! Wait till the guy trades in the POS Infinity... Think the Porsche depreciated? The Infinity will make the Porsche look like a frickin' bargin!

I've owned both a Ferrari and Porsche(s) and both are fantastic cars.
    Love 'em both - drive a P car now but will go back to a Ferrari in the near future.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've been offered a couple of Cayenne Turbo's in the last month for about 2/3 of MSRP in Canadian dollars. I passed on one because of color and the guy trading the other one ended up keeping it instead...or so I was told.

Apparently though, It's great truck from what I've read, except on paper. Maserati has the same problem. Great car, depreciates too fast initially. At least you can lease these and that helps.

FWIW...............

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    One more thing to add. ESPECIALLY,when the VW "Touareg" Looks almost EXACTLY like a Cayenne,but is priced SEVERAL thousand dollars less. WHAT were they thinking by making them look SO similar? I'm not a fan of either,but,from the pix that I've seen,think that the VW looks BETTER then the Porsche version. Sure,less performance,but,how much less? Probably nothing that couldn't be taken care with some tweaking and some mild performance mods,I'm sure.

12. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    buy an overpriced low-demand fugly car and what do you expect?

but i guarantee you %-wise that FX will get hammered MORE :)

13. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul

Hey, those are the two cars my wife likes. I will probably end up with one of those in my garage in May. I personally would rather go with the Toureg and new motorcycle, but some how she sees it differently.

14. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    I think the Cayenne is a good vehicle, however I
    believe its introduction was ill-timed and the
    price to high from the get-go.

How self serving is a letter from an Infiniti dealer
    concerning the trade in value of a Cayenne.
    Also why would they not put the Cayenne on the
    lot and tell prospective buyers that a Cayenne owner
    felt their FX45 was a better vehicle and traded it after
    5 mos.
    I would be curious to see what they will offer the
    buyer of the FX45 on trade in 5 mos.

The problem now, is buyers of a Cayenne will read
    this and assume 42k is the retail mkt. for them.
    Keep in mind the wholesaler is going to re-sell
    this car, maybe he made a great buy!
    Anyone who buys a new car regardless of the
    make is going to take a bath after 5 mos.

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Don't cry for me. Some people like great trucks that can cruise at 165 until the tank runs dry, tow 7000lbs, haul 5 + luggage in luxurious style, and make it from Paris to Dakar. If you drive them for 150K miles and toss them depreciation don't matter.

16. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    true, but some cars certainly much more so than others. that definitely is one plus to leasing.

pc - they're still fugly :) :)

17. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I don't really understand the hatred for this car. While I think SUV are kind of a waste, that's me thinking that. People like Jim obviously like the truck, and I'll bet every owner who is currently driving a Cayenne Turbo loves the beast.

Who cares about resale? ****, I know people who bought 360 Spiders for $350,000! You wanna take a bath? Buy a car for almost $200,000 over sticker and then try to sell it a year later! These guys that bought 360's for $350,000 are probably looking at $150 - $180 resale -- that's $200k in less than two years. THAT'S a bath.

So Porsche created a vehicle that is not as "special" as a Ferrari....so what? The 914's and 944 belted out by Porsche weren't all that special either, and the Boxster is nothing more than a glorified Miata. Doesn't seem like anything new to me.

Why is everyone so mad at Porsche for building this truck? Honestly - does it really affect your life so much that you need to glorify in it's rapidly depreciating value?

Hmmmm....

Enjoy your truck, Jim. Regardless of it's value, as long as you have fun with it, that's all that matters.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Neb
    There's an F40 sitting at a dealer now asking 350K. The person who ownes it payed 1.5 Million. The car has 3K miles. It took 12K to free up the rusted brakes and make it safe to start. Funny world.
    Best

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I don't understand the hatred for the Cayenne either. My friend has one, and it's great. Luxurious, all the amenities, ride is amazing. I really don't know what the complaints are about. If it had any other badge, people would say it was a great car, but just because it's uncharacteristic of Porsche, people don't like it. I'm not an SUV guy, but if I bought one, it would be the Cayenne. What are the alternatives? H2 - no way, just not for me. Range Rover - yeah, it's nice, but the Cayenne is just more interesting. I think the Range Rover is boring. FX and X5 - personally, I think the X5 is really nice, but, honestly, I'd rather have the Cayenne. Complain about it's looks - but it looks better in person, and the S looks better than the Turbo, in my opinion. Thr front grille looks better on the S. It also looks great in black and not as good in other colors.

Look, I know it's uncharacteristic of Porsche, but don't think of it as a Porsche, think of it as just another SUV. And it does everything the other ones do, just as well.

Incidentally, rumor has it Porsche is making a sedan. They are definitely making the Boxster coupe. Look, my opinion is that they are expanding their line, and that's fine. Other companies do exactly the same thing - Mercedes / Maybach, etc. etc. - but Porsche is just the only one that slaps their shield on every one. Don't complain just because it has a Porsche badge. It's actually a really good car.

20. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i think people automatically assume if you don't like the cayenne it's b/c it's a porsche. while often times true, definitely not in all cases. i think it's ugly and would think it's ugly whether it was a porsche, ferrari or kia.

just opinions...

21. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Funny, nobody bashed the Maserati Kubang. Anybody that says the Cayenne is a sell out, should buy the BMW X5. Talk about over priced. How about the Lambo LM002. The problem is that Porsche needs to make less cars and triple the price for people to think they are great cars. For me Porsche is a daily driver car. My 355 I drove alot, but the gawk factor made commuting a problem. My Porsche goes unnoticed. I doubt that there one person here who did not jump on the internet bandwagon for at least a little while. That is what Porsche is doing with the Cayenne. If you take the Porsche name off of it, it is a pretty nice truck. No it is not really good looking, but it goes fast, handles well, and will take 5 people and their crap pretty much anywhere. As for being a sell out, we all are at some point. My rant is over, I can't wait for my wife to get one, Jim and I can be the 2 founding members of C-Chat. Want to play chicken?

22. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

LOL. Talk to that Japanese guy that paid $14million for a 250 GTO in 1989. As far as I know, it's been sitting in a hermetically (sp??) sealed vault, untouched for 14 years. I wonder what kind of mechanical nightmare it is right now....probably needs a lot more than rusted up brakes. :) And currently valued at around $4million, that's a $10million bath! Yikes!

23. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I think the depreciation has a lot to do with leasing vs. buying for the higher-end vehicles. In many instances, when financing, buying a used car is more than leasing a new one. Therefore, more people tend to lease the new one, with a warranty, putting downward pressure on the used one. I saw this when I sold my Lexus SC and my Porsche Boxster. Unless someone had cash, the financing rates were higher on the used car making the payments as much or more than getting a new one. The person who has cash for a car doesn't always want a used car, unless it's a deal.

Additionally, the total cost of ownership of a used car often includes repairing it. A used Porsche is expensive to maintain. Look at the Range Rovers = very expensive cars not known for reliability = quick depreciation. This also adds to the price/value equation for leasing new.

The other reason is desireability of the car. Some brands have a huge status symbol associated with them. Once options and features change each year, it becomes more obvious that it's no longer the 'newest' status symbol so practicality and price begin to take over.

24. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Jim,

You definitely understand the facts of ownership.
    What you pay does not matter if you get the use/enjoyment
    out of the car.

I can't help but wonder why a person would spend
    $68k on any NEW car and TRADE it 5 mos. later and not
    think they are going to take a huge loss.
    Regardless of the vehicles make.