550 & 360 Why?? | FerrariChat

550 & 360 Why??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TigerAce, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    512M I was after seems to be sold to someone while I was doing PPI. I didn't have to pay for PPI, and I have no problem as the owner can sell to anyone w/ better offer. I was debating hard to buy or not (Sheehan's listed yellow 512M) as 9 titles were issued in the past 9 years. This is to inform some of F-chatters who helped me on my attempt to buy this car. Thanks!

Now I am looking at 550 (among others), and I have a question.

550 is 12 cylinder, so it costs more as new than 360, right? But used 98 550 Maranello & 99 360 Modena are almost same price range. There is more numbers of 360 than 550 so I cannot understand 360 holding its value while 550 isn't. Why is that?

I also noticed the interior of 456/550 is drastically different from 512M/TR. What made this big change? I also noticed the iterior of 348 & 355 were quite different, too. Is this change due to the switch from hand-built assembly to production-line assembly?

Curious mind want to know before make any decision. Thanks.

Yoshi

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yoshi, you need to get your butt down here and drive my 550. This is the only way that you'll be able to answer your questions.

Best, DrTax

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    the 550 is much more refined to drive.

The big change really came with the 456, then slowly went into other Ferraris. Why? customers wanted more refinement less edge, and Ferrari listened.

Recall all TRs are based off an 1980s platform (first TR in 84) which itself is based off of a 70s BB. (72? I think)

The 550 is well, a completely modern start in 96.

4. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    If you want a 550 and yellow doesn't offend you buy mine.
    It is perfect. See ferrariads.com

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Yoshi---That's pretty geneous of Dr Tax. Perhaps, you don't want to impose but for the sake of god....accept the man benevolent offer to test drive his car already, would you...LOL? If you take him up on it, I make just fly down there for the day and test drive it myself.

Tom,

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The more the merrier. Well, up to a point...

Actually, now that I have a warranty, letting people drive the car is no big deal. Trust me, it is an easy car to drive. But, even better, it is a lot of fun!

Best, Dale

7. Edo

Edo Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I was wondering the same thing. For about the same money you could buy either 550 or 360. Which would you choose and why?
    Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ed

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    LOL.....What a wonderful gesture, Dale !!!! Heck, you are approx. 800miles from KC, yes? What do you say I get into my newly serviced 512TR, freshly installed K40...start heading south and see you in say...5 or 6 hours?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Drtax's 550 handles great at 160 mph. :D

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Holy $#@&.....I am very down with that.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, we are having a FCA get together in San Antonio next month. I think that it is on the 16th?

BTW, you'll need a V1 instead of the K40 here in Tejas.

Dr "Howdy" Tax

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hush yo mouth. No animals were harmed during that run...

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Dr. Tax.
    Thanks for your generosity. I have tried out 550 already, and it was about what I anticipated. I just cannot get over the look of 512TR/M. There's pros & cons for 550 & 512TR/M.

TomF-1,
    you are totally satisfied w/ 512TR, right? Did you try out 550 before you made a decision. If so, what made you pick 512TR?

Auraptor,
    thanks for your comment. "Ferrari listened" Mmmm, interesting way to put it.

Banana Boat,
    PM me w/ your asking price. I do have an offer for 98 550 already for pretty good price.

Rob,
    I can't drive like you, so 160 sounds reasonable.....

Edo,
    I tend to tilt toward 550 for the same price range over 360. HOWEVER, 360 has a killer look. 550 looks more settled, and sit w/ you after while, I think.

Other than Auraptor, no one's really answering to my question. Was it dumb question??

14. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    When I had my 360 ordered in 1999, it was about $140k MSRP - when it came in, the street prices were $225k at Ferrari of SF (Corte Madera). One could buy a 1998 550 for about $180k at the time. While MSRP was greatly different, actually selling prices were not. Now, if you wanted a 456gt in 1999, you would have had to pay about $100k more than the 360's MSRP or $240k. The 360 is a great car but once you've had a 12 cyl. Ferrari, you don't ever wan't another v8 - a 12 cyl. Ferrari is just so beautifully excessive. The build quality of my 456gt far outstrips that of my TR - seems like more happened in those 10 years '85 to '95) than at any other point in car history.

15. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    While the 360 is struggling a little as you pass 120 MPH the 550 pulls hard all the way up to 180. It only begins to seem fast at about that point as well. It is soooooh smooth.
    The 550 is more quiet, has less (if any) rattles or vibrations. It is much better on a longer trip. It is also more roomy. It has a spacious trunk and that back shelf as well.
    I find the 550 easier to service, about an hour for an engine and transaxle oil change. Everything is easy to get too. There is actually working space as in the cars of the 1960's.
    The 550 is solid. There is no flex in the frame. It is rock solid. This is something that always bothers me about rag tops, the flexing of the frame.
    On the other hand the 360 can be had as a convertible. My wife would rather have that version. I would rather have the solid hard top.

I really love my wife's Murcielago. It feels solid and has the most torque and acceleration. It is well built. It is THE eye catcher. But if I could only have one car to keep out of our 5 cars I would take the 575 Maranello.

aehaas

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yes and loved it.

I picked the 512TR because of her looks (yes, that makes me shallow...lol). Also, I know if I ever get the urge to drive a 550M, I can always beg Dr Tax and will likely receive.....

Besides, the 550M will be in my car collection in a very near future.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey Yoshi-

FYI - We saw the yellow 512M at Black on Black in LA Ca. yesterday for sale. I think they wanted 135k for it. It was definitely the same one as I asked the guy if it was at FX performance a month earlier. It still had the leather pulling apart on the dash which they are going to fix. The car needed a few things addressed - Some curb rash on the rims, some rust on the side slats that was bubbling the paint, etc. The guy said it was a test car or something as Road and Track wrote an article about it or something to that affect. He also said the motor had been replaced - Have you heard that before?

They also had a nice red 512M there - The asking price was $150k on it, but I believe he said it could be had for $130k. It had 30,000 miles on it.

18. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Dr. Tax, Tom, & Rob seems to make a nice threesome on the road. 550, 512TR & 355 Challenge together must look awesome. I cannot decide which car I want to sit in, though.

GTB4NART, thanks for detailed info w/ your insight. I just noticed a big difference of interior for Ferrari after '96. "beautifully excessive" yes, that's it!

AEHaas, if I could only have cars like you, I would take TR & 550 at the same time w/ 360. Murcie costs more than $200K, right? 550 & 575 looks very similar, but driving experience suppose to be quite different according to my sources. Your comment is very much appreciated.

Tom, my original plan was to own 512TR/M for while to taste the last mid 12 cylinder (it just sounds awesome, and the look which just don't quit), and then move onto 550/575, the modern 12 cylinder.

Slag, that's who was doing PPI originally for me, and then told me that the car is being negotiated by other buyer. I sent e-mail to the owner, but there's no reply nor phone call, so I just gave up. I didn't know of the motor replacement. Some people who saw this car already gave me their insight, so I knew most of cosmetic problems. It was just so attractively priced w/ the owner willing to take my 328 as a trade-in. I guess he just realized that he may do better at BH. I know another Red 512M there, too, but $130K was bit too much for 512M. (there's another one available at Fortune Motor, too) Yellow one was priced much lower when it was offered to me, so I really cannot understand why they are asking more for Yellow than Red. Did you check out Red 512M, and what did you think compared w/ Yellow?

Yoshi

19. Edo

Edo Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks for your views on the 360/550 - sorry for the minor threadjack Yoshi.

I personally prefer the 360 shape but it seeems like you get so much more car for the money with a 550 it is hard to make a choice.

Maybe you have the right idea Yoshi, go for 512M/TR first...

My main worry, having not driven one, is "is the 550 EXCITING"?

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If I'm thinking of the red 512M at B-B on La Cienega as previously mentioned, that one is usually on a trickle-charger at night. Word.

21. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Yoshi,

I have a 360 now and love the car, but I think my next car will be a 550 or 575. The 360 is a blast to drive, and it looks great. The 550 or 575 is the perfect GT car. You do not feel like you have to drive it with your hair on fire all the time, but when you want it, she is there for you. The 360 has a small bottom end, so you drive high in the rev range, where as with the 550, you could start from a stop sign in third.

My vote 550 all the way, the kids will leave you alone and let you drive your car.

22. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Edo, 550 is very settled for sounds (amazingly quiet compared w/ 328 or TR), and the feel. It is Nimo if you want it to be, but once you push, it'll turn into a shark. Also interior looks gorgeous. Don't worry abou threadjacking, as I don't care at all. You're being very polite!

Wax, What you mean by this? It's just charged up during the night so it can be driven the following day, no?? I'm sorry I don't comprehend??

Rjklein, I hear you. I know 550 is more refined car than TR. I can understand your move from 360 to 550. That's sort of what I'm trying to do, starting from 328, then 360, 512TR/M or good TR, to 550/575. I just don't know whether I want to jump right up to 550 now. Of course, right offer comes along for 550, I will grab it!

Yoshi

23. viper

viper Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CHICAGO, IL
    Full Name:
    DR. J
    The two cars are completely different. The 550 Maranello is a complete, solid, daily driver car. It is stiff, you can drive in the rain going 90, and go over bumps. It is the CEO car. For me personally, as someone in their 20's, the 360 trumps it in style. The looks of the 360 Spider is killer. One thing is true though, no one can deny the sound of a 550. While the 360 with Tubi exhaust sounds awesome, that V12 grunt of the 550 is amazing. So if you want an all around, daily driver pick the 550. If your young, want the ladies, and love looks, pick the 360. Of course I went for the 360 Spider.
    As to those who want to differentiate between a used 550 and 360. Well of course the 550 drops in the range of the 360 because of the demand for the 360. I waited 3 yrs for my 360 Spider, purchased in Dec. 2002. The wait for a Maranello is approx. 8 months. Supply and demand.

Dr J

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    This is true. I drive mine ~1200 miles month, leave it dirty (black) and no one notices the car at all. Middle of traffic, people couldn't care less.

Actually, forget people my age (22), it's the old guys (hey Dale! :D ) who care to give it a go...

As for driving the two - if you haven't, do. You'll find the 550 to be a crushingly competent GT that can hang with the best of them (for the most part), whereas the 360 will be tiresome after more than the weekend outing. Oh, and for sheer acceleration - there's no comparison.

--Dan