Baby seats in mondials | FerrariChat

Baby seats in mondials

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Modificata, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Have any of you fitted a baby seat in the back of a mondial? I took my car to a shop on Saturday and he told me the buckle was in the wrong position for a forward facing child seat. As a result I would need to fit a new buckle in a different position!

Wondering if any of you had faced similar problems.

2. Robin Wells

Robin Wells Rookie

Aug 26, 2003
    Dubai, United Arab E
    Full Name:
    Robin Wells
    Yes, I'd also be interested to hear back from any Mondial owners on this.

Baby no.1 is well on the way. And the car was only allowed on the basis that it can carry children.

If we can't fit a baby seat, I'll be in big trouble....

3. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    As a former owner I feel safe in saying this- the back seats in a Mondial are already baby seats. LOL

I've seen several cars with back seats installed, so I know someone's figured it out. Check around with some of the baby stores, there must be a universal type that will fit back there.

All the best
    Norm

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I have put various forward facing baby seats in my mondial, both in the passenger and rear seat. why is the buckle in the wrong place????

5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thats exactly what I thought! Im gonna get a second opinion. The reason why they told me it was in the wrong place is becuase the buckle is not at the back of the seat, but located slightly forward. Cant make too much of a problem im sure!

Keep you posted, but more comments welcome.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Have had multiple Baby and booster seats in the front and back of a Mondial.
    - they are really perfect with a small booster due to their size.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    My seatbelts in back won't lock properly for the babyseat to hold. Dealer told me it wasnt designed to lock with such little weight??
    The seat will fit in back but the front seat has to be slid almost all the way forward. On the T models i would look into perhaps fitting seat in middle to maximise room for all.

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    LOL! Remember the Chevy Chase "Vacation" films? In the first one, he was chased by Christy Brinkley (?) in a 308GTS. In a later one ("Las Vegas Vacation"?), she again passes him in a Mondial. Baby in back.

9. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    In autocar 1997 to 1998 a guy ran a mondial t (1992) as a daily drive.It was fitted with a forward facing child seat in the back.I will try and dig up the seat brand.I can remember that he had it trimmed by the oxtead trimming company in matching magnolia leather!His son seemed very happy(and rightly so......i'd have chewed my arm off to sit in a ferrari as a kid!.

10. Alanmondial

Alanmondial Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Alan Butler
    Hi, baby seat fits in the back of my Mondial 8. I know the previous owner also had a baby seat in it for his daughter. I'll check out the name and make of the seat when I get home.

11. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I have used various brands, a seat I got a few years ago with my mercedes worked really well, it probably was not the "safest" car seat out there but it worked well in the f-car plus it had no metal parts. FYI - watch the metal clips from car seats on the paint work :)

12. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    They will fit, you should look for booster seats with more of a chamferred bottom seat where it hits your leather.

I have run both the Cosco full booster and Cosco half booster seats in the back of my T (89 & 92). I prefer the half because they are easier for me to deal with (they will fit under the hood when I need the space) and it gets the kids further away from the front seats. In addition, my 89 only had 2 point belts in the rear so I mounted a bracket in the engine bay and put full Sparco Clubman harnesses in the back. The kids love them and it totally locks them in place. Now that they are growing out of the seats, they just use the 4 point belts and being secured is second nature to them.

- JMG

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I had child seats in my 86 Mondial Cab with no problems. However, my 86 did not have shoulder harnesses in the back, and you are not supposed to use booster seats without the shoulder harness.

14. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I take it the car did not have front passenger air bag? When my 2 year old at the time kept crying to go for a ride in my S2000 I had to trade for a Porsche Boxster which you could put their car seat in and it would shut that airbag off. Then after her first ride she decided she did not like riding in a convertible. Now I have a Maserati sypder on its way and was wondering if anyone knows if you can get a kill switch for the air bag?

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The 86 coupe does have a shoulder belt, it sounds like the cab does not. I have a car seat in the back and it works fine but the belt doesn't lock that tight. I use a second safety strap from the back of the seat to the upper ring that the seat belt slides through. This works fairly well, but I wish there was a way to lock shoulder belt. I am going to try to find the Cosco half booster that was mentioned. The top of the back seat is farther forward than the bottom, so a low seat and rounded bottom sounds like it will fit much better than standard seats.

16. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #16 MondialTCab, Mar 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update, the model that I used to use is not a Cosco but an Evenflo. Here is a link to one online as well as a picture.

http://store.yahoo.com/babyant/bv012037.html

My apologies for sending you in the wrong direction. We use these in my wife's Jag and used to in my T Cab by use the Cosco full back boosters in my truck where room is less limited.

- JMG
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    John - thanks for the help, this is the perfect seat. I was concerned about safety just from the look of it, but I looked on the net and the safety rating is very good. This is probably safer than the harness seat I have now because it seems to position the belt better. It also will be a perfect fit with the rounded seatbacks of the Mondal. I just placed an order. If anyone is interested, 23 reviews for this seat are available here:

http://www.epinions.com/kifm-B-BEquip-Car_Seats-Booster_Car_Seats-Evenflo_Right_Fit/display_~reviews/1_~opinion_list/pp_~1/pa_~1?0=sec#list

18. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    If a car has a rear seat, however tiny, the front air bags can not be turned off other than the manufacturer installing a special clip and you purchase their seat (ala M-B for example). This was suppose to force parents to shove their kids in the back seats for safety.

If the car or truck is only a front seater, my understaning is that there has to be a switch to turn the air bag off and on for the passenger seat.

19. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Here some articles I have found about shut off of passenger air bag:

Drivers should have all children sit in the backseat wearing a safety belt. Infants should be placed in rear-facing car seats and put in the backseat. Small adults should move the seat back so that their breastbone is at least 10 inches from the air bag cover.

If this is not possible, air bag switches can be installed so that the vehicle owner has the option of turning the bag off or on, depending on the situation. In January 1998, NHTSA allowed auto dealers and repair shops to begin installing air bag cut-off switches. Before the switch can be installed, vehicle owners must complete a four-step process:

Obtain an information brochure and request form from NHTSA, dealerships or repair shops.

Return the form to NHTSA.

Receive authorization from NHTSA after it reviews the case.

Take the vehicle to the service shop along with the authorization from NHTSA which certifies that the owner has read the brochure and met one of the four eligibility classifications:

rear-facing infant seat can be in the front (necessary if the vehicle has no back-seat)

driver's seat cannot be adjusted to keep more than 10 inches between the driver and the steering wheel

putting a child 12 or under in the front seat can not be avoided

having a medical condition that puts them at risk of injury when an air bag deploys.

Q: What do I do if a dealer does not honor a waiver for disabling an air bag issued by NHTSA to an individual?
    A: NHTSA does not have authority to require any dealer to disable an air bag. If a dealer will not disable an air bag for a vehicle owner that has obtained a waiver to disable, the owner should seek another dealer. If other dealers will not disable the air bag the owner could contact an independent service garage. An owner should never attempt to disable the air bag themselves. An air bag system is highly sophisticated and the air bag deploys with great force. Tampering with an air bag system could put the owner at risk of physical harm due to an inadvertent deployment.

20. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    NOTE FOR ALL

This seat is not designed to be used with only a lapbelt...I think there is enough info out there on this but I did want to make the point. The other thing I wanted to mention about these seats is that the rounded bottom makes them great in seats that are buckets also makes them somewhat dangerous in vehicles that have more of a bench setup - IMHO only. I found that in my truck, they would tend to tilt - with child - under somehwhat hard cornering (that's truck hard cornering levels...not FCar) whereas they seem quite secure in either our Jag VDP or my TCab. Thus I ended up with highback boosters in my Supercrew and these in my other cars.

- JMG

21. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've yet to find any car seat that fits 'properly' in my T cab. some sit a bit better than others, but teh side bolsters on the leg areas tend to intrude too much.

The lap belt for my 5 year old (in rear) isn't comforting either. Only late '92-93 T cabs have rear shoulder belts. I'm having them retrofitted to my T cab in a couple of weeks.

22. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I have owned both a 92 and an 89. You will probably find that for smaller kids, the standard mounting position of the 92+ model belts will come across your kids chin even with a booster and they remain somehwat loose. Combine that with those damn mouse driven belts in the front and that is why I would only purchase an 89 when I replaced the 92 and retrofit 4 point harnesses. Now, they are truly locked in place and I don't have to worry about them getting tossed from under the shoulder harness. How old & tall are your kids?

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

The belts hold my kids pretty good, but they're rarely in the car, so I won't go to the extreme you did (think I'd buy a 456 at that point if 4 seats are that important).

Kids are 1 1/2 and 4 1/2, my four year old, jeez....uh, he's I think 44 inches tall? I have big kids....I'm 6' 5"

24. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross

25. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If you're using it as a daily driver, I can understand where you're coming from.

Cheapest chopped 456 I've seen was $140k...too much money for that car. I'm keeping the T cab and going to buy a 456 as an 'other' car.