Gordon Gets 2nd F1 Test | FerrariChat

Gordon Gets 2nd F1 Test

Discussion in 'F1' started by aawil, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Like that article says if Gordon actually went into F1 it would certainly do wonders for the sport here in America. Perhaps you could actually catch a race on NBC or something.

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    This may be part of a campaign to shake up Ralf. First Scott Dixon, now Jeff Gordon. Judging from the way the fans are booing Gordon at NASCAR races, he may want to get out...

4. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    why do you say that?how do you see him getting fed up?

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, he's got alimony to pay now!!! Did you read THAT decree?? Man!

I don't think you'd call that first drive a Test. More like PR appearance, really.

He said the car didn't run IN THE GRASS as fast as it should. LOL!

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Are you serious, he actually said that?!?!
    Was he just joking?

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron

Just a hunch.He'll never dominate nascar like he did a couple years ago.The little fight he had with that jerk off reporter got more attention than it should.I hate how nascar tries to throw morals into everything.They didn't fine him nor should they have.So what if he asked the guy what the **** is wrong with him.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #8 BigTex, Mar 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, he wasn't joking. It was at Indy.

The grass is what the NASCAR guys use as the "low line" thru the apex.

"Speedy knows, listen to him!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    Of course he's getting fed up with NASCAR, I mean, any monkey can drive around in a circle. I don't understand how this sport draws so much attention. Granted there might be more passing compared to F1, but going around in a circle couldn't be too difficult, right?

10. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    ?

He was certainly joking. He said "This car isn't as fast as mine through the grass" making a play on the fact that he blew turn 1.

---

Edit: On second thought it might not have been turn 1, I think it might have been turn 8 or 9

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    If it did happen, I wonder if would effect RED BULL's US driver serch?

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I hope he goes for it. It's been a long time since Mario won the World Championship.

13. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ahhh, I gotta say that I'm not sure having major networks here covering the races would be a good thing. Last time they did, to my knowledge, was Monaco two years ago. If I remember correctly the coverage was awful.

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I think a few of us have missed a few key things here. Look at Williams sponsors HP and Bud. I have a feeling that they are pushing to get an american icon driver into the team and with JPM leaving and Ralf about out the door would make a perfect opportunity to bring in some new talent that HP and Bud would be willing to shell out even more money in sponsorship terms to the team.

It could be that Sir Frank had know about this and is keen on getting rid of Ralf by playing hard ball. This way he can create an opening and give some drivers that have Raced in the US and have a fan base here there dream shot at F1.

Just MHO

Rob

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If Bernie was smart, he'd quietly subsidize Jeff Gordon's seat at Williams (he won't be cheap) as his ultimate dream of American market penetration would more than recoup the investment.

I, for one, hope Jeff G. takes the seat. Not sure if Sir Frank would know how to handle an American. Should be fun. I imagine Jeff would make a couple of calls to Andretti and Rahal for some background...:)

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I don't really follow NASCAR, but when I see Speed News NASCAR results, from time to time, it doesn't look like the four-time champ is leading the pack, anymore.

In late 2002, Gordon went to the Nations' Cup in the Canaries and gave the WRC stars a run for their money on the dirt. (The US win there was a bit of a shock, considering we sent two NASCAR drivers while everyone else sent F1 and WRC drivers.)

Then came the "Tradin' Paint" gimmick. I also get the distinct impression that Gordon is looking to change venues.

But I'm not sure that the publicity appearances are the way to do it. It looks as though Jeff could handle the "bigger" cars, but I don't think Gordon has the personal sponsors that most WRC or F1 drivers bring to the teams. There's a huge difference between a NASCAR team budget and the kinds of money that an F1 team needs to bring in. There are tons of good drivers all over the world that don't get a shot, because they don't have sponsorship money in the duffel.

F1 might want an American in the sport, but enough to make up for lack of sponsors?

I'd love to see "Flash Gordon" in an F1 or WRC car, but I don't know if the finance boys could make the numbers work.

17. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I would absolutely love to see Jeff Gordon in F1. He is just the ticket to get America back into F1. He is extremely talented and charismatic, exactly what is needed.

18. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Beast excellent points, I was saying the same thing to my wife a few weels ago. I am NOT a Nascar fan but I think it would be great for F1in the US for something like this to happen, then maybe us F1 fabs would start getting better coverage, more coverage, etc.

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I admire Jeff Gordon's success in NASCAR, and I think he could be successful in sportscar racing. I also have great respect for NASCAR drivers. I do not think Gordon will have any success in F1, and I think his failure in F1 would hurt both his career and that of aspiring American open wheel drivers. There are so many excellent young American drivers. Yes, I know Gordon is a big name, but I can't imagine Williams spending a seat on a publicity stunt.

20. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Jeff Gordon in F1.

Consider the possibilities:

Bernie develops a fondness for beer battered deep fried catfish and Jack Daniels.

Hush puppies are the rage at Monaco cocktail parties.

DeWalt is the tool of choice. FACOM stock plummets.

The Darlington Grand Prix.

MS is in the wall and Ferrari's protests are denied: "Rubbin is racin' pansy boy"

Boy I really like that last part.

21. ART360

ART360 Guest

Any monkey can drive in a circle. Maybe. But can any monkey get 100% from the car while driving in the circle? I suspect not. While it looks boring, the ability to drive hard in a circle is very, very difficult. Try it sometime, I think you'll be shocked. On a motorcycle in the dirt, its very interesting, especially on the mile tracks.

Art

22. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    Art, I remember reading awhile back that MS said he would never enter the INDY 500 - or any other other oval race format - because it was to scary. Rather stick to road courses with change of direction, elevation ,etc. ..without the hard walls.

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's funny as hell!! LOL I would like to see the Monaco harbor filled with John boats and 22 foot bass boats.

24. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    DuPont has spent an awful lot of money on Jeff and it has paid off well for them in the U.S. I know they are looking to compete on a more global basis with their automotive and industrial lines with PPG. I wonder if they are looking to expand their sponsorship beyond the logo on the nose of the Jaguar. Helping Jeff go to F1 would be one way to do that with some consistency.

Joe

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Wrong, it is a different discipline entirely.

Rick Mears wrote a book on oval track racing. In this book he describes how you could drive an ill-handling Indy car to bring the car back to the drivers preference. For example: by pitching the car into a turn, the driver could selectively heat the outside front tire or outside rear tire and cure an oversteering or understeering problem, and bring the car back to where the driver wanted it.

With a multitude of different turns, a road race driver seldom gets to practice these kinds of manouvers, and does not develop this kind of skill.