Reverse Engineering Liquid Cleaning Product | FerrariChat

Reverse Engineering Liquid Cleaning Product

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FcarMN, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FcarMN

FcarMN Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Gentlemen
    There is a certain liquid cleaning product that I would like to reverse engineer to determine its ingredients (manufacturer has no rights to it and it was never patented). I have contacted a few companies to reverse engineer it but they seem to imply that it would be difficult to rebuild to work the same as the original. Does anyone have any experience with the process?

Thanks
    JR

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Gas chomotography can give you a general impression of the molecules used

Fractional Distilation can isolate each molecule into small batches

so that

NMR can be used to determin the stereo-chemistry of each molecule

Sounds expensive.....

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My dad sold Gas Chromatographs back in the 60's for Tracor before he became a minister. Even back then they were powerful tools. He sold several to the Texas Dept. of Health. The called him up awhile later saying the machines were broken. He went to inspect, the state couldn't believe that out of a hundred samples of milk from all over the state that none of them were completely free of DDT traces.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I might be able to help. Pm me the info.

DrS

5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Go to your local University Chemical Engineering department. Find a Master's student looking for a project to supplement their studies. Hook up with them and have them run the Gas Chromatograph tests. Probably cost you a few meals for the student, and some time.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    how does the DMCA effect reverse engineering of a liquid cleaning product?

sorry to bring up this but it is quite relevant to the issue here.

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    How's a cleaning product digital?

I'd like to copyright a 2:1 polar molecular mix of hydrogen and oxygen please.

Second option, why not just ask said manufactuar for the recipie? Why not just sift it out of his trash?

Lastly, gas chromotagraphy should tell you lots, there are other ways too. I second the recomendation of 'find a grad student who needs a project.' You can pay them in pizza, and they're thrilled.

Best!
    Ben.