Have Ferrari made a direction mistake with the 360? | FerrariChat

Have Ferrari made a direction mistake with the 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by PSk, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    While I like the F360 I am just wondering if they really have made a good move with the aluminium structure of that car.

Ferrari are low volume manufacturers and to keep themselves at the front (or near the front) they need to be able to change their styling reasonably easily. I believe this new alloy structure has cost them a bundle and they need to continue using the tooling for 7 years to make ends meet.

Most other manufacturers have moved towards alloy spaceframes, thus allowing them to change the shape easily (like the 308 - 355 used to, ie. evolve via chassis updates, etc.).

Do you think this technology will mean that Ferrari will have a hopelessly outdated model way before they need to replace it?, especially with such stiff competition.

It must have added a bundle to the manufacturing costs of the F360 versus the much simplier F355 ... with not that much difference to the consumer (?).

Pete

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

As a consumer I'd rather spend a wad and know that my car won't be obsolete as soon as I turn around. I'm not sure that chasing the competition and getting caught up in design and horse power wars makes sense for Ferrari. I like the fact that they put a lot into the car and plan to keep it around for a bit.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Given that there is still a waiting list for 360's, I believe that would make the answer to your question "no".

4. nsxtc

nsxtc Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    No such thing as an F360.

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    No such thing as a Japanese Ferrari...

ZING!

6. nsxtc

nsxtc Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Hey John,

Never claimed an NSX is a Japanese Ferrari. It's simply a Honda, but a good one at that.

Simply stating the fact that there is no F360. So why do you have to be a smart a$$ about it?

7. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    "Most other manufacturers have moved towards alloy spaceframes, thus allowing them to change the shape easily (like the 308 - 355 used to, ie. evolve via chassis updates, etc"

Really? Except for relatively easy front and rear grill and bumber changes I don't recall "shape" changes on the 308/328 series. A bit longer wheelbase 288 for sure. Where did the 355 change "shapes"?

8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Wrong.

The F1-equipped 360 is called an F360.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    wrong...it is called a 360 modena or 360 spider with the f1 transmission..not a f360!!!!!!

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the 360 has an alloy spaceframe!!! it is made of alumuniu!!!! ferrari has not made a mistake with the most successful exotic sports car model of all time.(in terms of revenue and demand)

11. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    You are being the smart A$$. Are you telling me you did not know that he was talking about the Modena 360. Now if you thought he was talking about a ford truck it would be right to correct him.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The real trick with aluminum is that it is a "white metal". This means, meticalurgically, that stresses accumulate and over time the structural parts become fatigued; unlike steels and "grey metals" where stress levesl less than 1/2 rated tensile loads do not cause fatigue and/or embrittlement. So, I would not be worried about the 5-10 year old 360s, but as they age towards 15-20 years a whole new crop of maintanence issues can arrise.

But the poor design decision Ferrari made with the 360 is the shape of the body, not in the metals used in its construction.........

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I like the fact I can recycle it at the same place as my Pabst Blue Ribbon cans.

Buuuuuurp! :)

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Well, I suppose the issue is that it's a guy on his second post correcting Pete who's been a great contributor for a long time with a trite smart ass comment that's ticking so many people off.

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Just a taste of your own medicine. Coming onto a thread with only 2 posts and already stirring up trouble is not the best way to introduce yourself to this fantastic community. Some small ribbing was my effort to lighten things up a bit, so don't take offense!

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You know the scrap yards don't give squat for shattered carbon fiber!

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    speaking of a smart a..s....

18. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Exactly how much money would you like to bet on that????

I work for Ferrari.....I think I know what I am talking about.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just pointing out the merits of aluminum, over other space age materials! :)

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    party on!!!!

21. nsxtc

nsxtc Rookie

Jan 27, 2004

Points taking...I was being an A$$. Not sure why I'd even bother with my original reply. I'd figure that you all are such Ferrari buffs that by calling an F car something that's not, it's sacrilegious.

22. TRIUMPH

TRIUMPH Rookie

Dec 17, 2003

A Ferrari dealer that is............and a good one at that;-)

23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It doesn't matter what it's called. The 355 was officially the F355 but who cares? As long as everyone knows what you are talking about. There was a lengthy discussion a while back about how Europeans generally say "three five five" whereas Americans often say "three fifty five." But we can all understand each other, either way.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well this thread has got exciting ... cool :D

Anyway I call many Ferraris F360, or F550 ... just slang. I don't mind being corrected but I was NOT refering to the F40-F50 series ... just been lazy instead of typing Ferrari 360.

BTW: The F360 does not have an Alloy spaceframe, it is the first Ferrari (I think) to have a monocoque construction made up of large alloy castings and sheet welded together. This is what has cost all the money.

I guess I did not make the best point, what I meant is that this structure has designed them into a fixed chassis design for many years, thus it would be difficult to make any changes to improve the car easily.

Anyway please continue arguing ... pointless but then the WRX, NSX and other letter named cars owners seem to like the pointless arguments ... just like we think the fact that some maybe modified to be faster than other cars is also pointless.

Pete

25. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Nice work, on the apology. The forum has had some really heated threads, and everybody is trying to prevent that from happening again.