Use sealer on exhaust manifold gaskets? | FerrariChat

Use sealer on exhaust manifold gaskets?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by shenbec, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shenbec

shenbec Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Hi, I am replacing my front exhaust manifold on my 308. Should I use some type of sealer on the gaskets? I am using new gaskets and the manifold is new and was just jet coated. It took the better part of 12 hours over 4 days to remove enough stuff to get the manifold out (shift shaft linkage, motor mounts, coolant hose, alternator, ac compressor, passenger's side gas tank). I really do not want to go through all of that again anytime soon. Will the new gaskets seal well enough on there own, or should I use some type of sealer. If so what type is recommended. Thanks for the assistance.

Chris

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    At the manifold-to-head gaskets (crushable Cu gaskets) = No (but fresh all-metal locknuts and slightly Belleville-ish washers might be considered).

At the collector-to-whatever donut gasket = Maybe, depending on the condition of the exposed outward flank. If good and the "socket" fit of the adjoining part is good, I'd try to go bare, but if big chunks are missing out of the outward flank then you've got to add something.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Technically, no gasket material needed. But, if you wanted a little bit more insurance, I suggest using K&W Copper Spray.