308 Microswitch wiring | FerrariChat

308 Microswitch wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Sean F., Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I'm putting everything back together after my 30K service and I forgot to draw a diagram of the microswitch wiring.

Their is a large black wire coming from the microswitch on the back side of the top of the cam cover and as it gets close to the dist. it splits in two, one black one green. The wire diagram on p76 of the manual shows one wire goes to the R2, and the other appears to go to ground? Which one is the ground on the dist.? Is it that single small bolt on top with nothing connected to it?

Also, it shows a crossover b/w the two dist. R2 points.

Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't recall an "unused ground stud" on the outside of the distributor body -- my recollection is to use either of the screws holding the condensors to the distributor body as the "ground". You've got the right approach IMO -- match the schematic in your year/version OM.

3. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I've got the whole assembly right here on my desk. If you have dual distributors, there is a black wire connected to common on the switch, and a green wire connected to one of the two switch tabs. There is also a copper shield wire connected to one of the mounting studs.

At the other end there should be 2 green wires, one of each go to the R2 stud on the distributors. The black wire goes to one of the capacitor mounting screws.

If you want to test it, when ythe trottle is at idle the microswitch should be depressed, providing ground to the secondary (R2) points.

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Got the green wires OK, but the black wire is not long enough to reach the other side of the dist. and tie into the mounting of the capacitor.

It is the GROUND thought, correct?