Fair price for this 72 Dino 246 GT? Opinions wanted... | FerrariChat

Fair price for this 72 Dino 246 GT? Opinions wanted...

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #1 CarreraScott, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As some of you know I've been looking at this 1972 Dino 246 GT a dealer has in Florida. We haven't come to an agreed upon price yet. Thought I'd check and see what y'all thought so here are the specs...

1972 Dino GT, about 31,000 miles, Metallic Blue (original color).

Had a PPI done, condition overall is very good, mechanically it is very good. Engine was just rebuilt 2 years ago, tranny rebuilt last year. Only real mechanical issues are front arm bushings need to be replaced (rear have already), one vent latch needs replacement, oil temp gauge or sensor is faulty, and brake pads are nearing the end of their life.

Paint is in good condition, it is mostly original, has some stone chips on the front and some repaired stone chips. Supposedly some rust spots on the lower door had been repaired with new metal and repainted. Overall exterior is very good.

Interior is mostly original so some of it shows fading and shows use. There are various small things on the interior mainly from wear over the years but nothing major.

Under car, brake hoses appear to have been changed, paint on the wheels isnt perfect, has new Pirelli tires but they don't look as good as the Michelins that probably should be on the car. Belly pan has been changed, has some bottoming damage at belly pan and in front of the car.

Engine runs perfect, compression is nearly perfect, AC runs cold.

Asking price is $68,000 on the car. I offered up to $62,000 but it was not accepted.

Thanks for any advice...!
    Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Not unless you have to have the car I'd chill a bit and see if something else comes along. Sounds like you feel the same way as you would have already hopped on it. Your offer sounds reasonable considering all the things you mentioned. And, if they are inflexible I think having something to compare to might be a good idea.

3. atomsrock

atomsrock Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    What dealer is it? Don't worry, I'm not in the market for a Dino.

4. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Motorcar Gallery in Ft Lauderdale FLA.

Thanks
    Scott

5. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Comparisons are tough since there aren't many GTs out there, and their conditions vary so vastly...

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The fact this one came out so well on PPI is also rare!

IF you want it you may have to come to the asking number. Don't lose it over a couple of grand!

Brigitte in So Cal section is looking for a blue one, too!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, conditions vary!

They are either well cared for....or driven into the ground!!!

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Scott,

I got confirmation yesterday that the red/black GT in Texas is indeed for sale, and the owner wants to get rid of it before the auction. I didn't get a price, since I'm not really in the market right now. Just FYI

9. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks Tillman, decided I really dont want a red or Yellow Dino. :)

Scott

10. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    you're probably going to get a very wide range of prices from this board, since this car is pretty rare. think of the range of prices fchat quotes for something common like a 360 spider!

i think it's fair to say you're at least in the ballpark. condition of the car sounds pretty darn good. do you really want the car?? then i wouldn't skimp over a few grand, esp if you plan on keeping the car for a while. it's not like you're going to find one of these every day, esp in that color (which is beautiful).

good luck, keep us posted. 246 and 550 spyder are the most beautiful classics out there!

11. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Looks like they're willing to come down to $65k, as is.

Hummmm....

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That puts the ball in YOUR court!!

C'mon, it's just a "little bit" a month! LOL

How much for the red/black one?? Any mention???

13. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA

Called Norwood about that red/black Dino and waiting to hear back from the owner on price. Its serial # 03546 with 25,452 miles, supposedly in excellent condition overall -- not concourse but an excellent daily driver. Will let you know price when I hear back from the seller.

Interestingly this red car started out Metallic Blue too according to the Dino Register.

Apparently the current owner hasnt driven it at all, the engine hadnt even been started in 2 years (it was just serviced and runs fine now). Of course I havent done a PPI on it though.

According to Dino Register it had 24,000 miles on it in 1990 and it only has about 1500 more miles 15 years later!?!? The seller has owned the car since 1990 and did an interior restoration on it.

It's in Texarkana TX...

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    y'know, "there's beer in texarkana....."

doody.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So it appears all Dinos have a "Red period" regardless of original color!

We have a red one in for an engine, I'm gonna go scratch on it! :)

16. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hey Doody you still have your P-car too?
    Scott

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Doody, that's my Trans Am your talking about! Not Dinos.

18. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    scott --- no p-cars right now. i'd like to pick up an early 993 with miles to strip down and modify into a streetable track car. that might be my next. though i saw a yellow 993TT-S the other day that made me just melt :)

speedy --- next time a bird buys the farm on one of the windows of the house i'm gonna put it on the hood of the 550 and snap a shot of it for allanlambo :)

doody.

19. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
  20. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Blue one you are looking at in photo looks nice in that blue. Sounds like a descent car. Good luck with putting together a deal.

21. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks. Think I'm going to stick to my $62k offer max, and if it doesnt get it, oh well. I'll keep looking!

Thanks for the opinions!