How many bottles of Water Wetter in a 308 1 or 2? | FerrariChat

How many bottles of Water Wetter in a 308 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    How many bottles of Water Wetter do you use 1 or 2 in a 308? Do you notice more of a cooling difference with 2 bottles or will one suffice? Thanks.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    only one bottle should be necessary. but the real question is - where do you live? if you live up north, probably anywhere north of say... Dallas, then you'll probably want to mix some anti-freeze in there as well. otherwise, if you live in the south, you can just use water wetter and water.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am in Alabama. I run DISTILLED water and 2 bottles of water wetter during the 9 months we have above freezing. No antifreeze/coolant ever except in the winter.

I have been doing this for years. Pure water soaks up more heat energy then when mixed with coolant. It really helps to keep my temps down.

Just make sure it is distilled if you are not adding the coolant.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Any water-pump lubricant in water wetter?

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Dave: Check Redline's website. The stuff was developed originally to be used with straight water.

FWIW, I get good results with 1 bottle in my 50/50 antifreeze. 2 wouldn't hurt with straight water - thinking from an anticorrosion standpoint.

6. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Remember it says antrifreeze/coolant for a reason. Not to mention the anticoorasive attributes!

I would run coolant in any vehicle!

7. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Whoa there. i understand the spirit of purity embodied in using distilled water. But todays coolant are designed to be much more than anti freeze: they raise the biling point of water well above 212 degrees; lubricate water pumps, limit corrosion which is quite probable with distilled water and lastly inhibit rubber deterioration caused by high temps.

You should still dilute it with distilled and DE IONIZED water to get the purity you are looking for. In addition, for long term ie between cam belt changes, use, you should also flush with distilled deionized water before refilling and also make sure that any new hoses installed are thoroughly cleaned inside the hose before its installation.

I have run some very big turbo boost and kept cooling under control this way. Water wetter helps too but not as much as the correct basic mix.

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Redline's Water Wetter is specifically formulated to accomplish ALL of the things you mention above -- except raising the boiling point. Check their website.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I use a similar product from Royal Purple, only one req'd for 308GTB.

10. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    one bottle

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

You make a very good point with deionized water. I spent many years working in a biochemistry lab and used it daily. Problem now is I can't source it anymore. I wish I could.
    As far as the boiling point increase; the pressure in the cooling system does the same thing. It is not necessary to depend on the chemistry of the coolant additive to do this for you. In 7 years of HOT Alabama summers I have never had a boil-over problem. Not once. And this is in a hot running car in under every condition from stop and go traffic in Florida in August to hard running track events.
    The fact is "pure" water will absorb more heat per cc then when mixed with coolant and that is why I use it. It has really helped.
    I guess my only practical concern is trusting the anti-corrosive/lubrication properties of watter wetter. In the winter, I put back the antifreeze mix. This 3+ month annual routine may be why I have never had a problem otherwise. I guess time will tell.