Fcar fury over the weekend | FerrariChat

Fcar fury over the weekend

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by RocketBoy, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Hey boys:

I don't think I will be able to participate in the go-karting event. On Friday I had surgery on both my feet. Later this week I have to go in for some more tune ups with my shoulder. However, while riding back via personal driver in some Lincoln on Friday around noon, way way on the south side and before the Dan Ryan, two Ferraris were terrorizing the highway. A black 575 or 550 and a sky blue 360 spyder were blazing a trail on the left lane. The V12 was leading the way and with the close to bumper to bumper traffic, cold air, and pretty sun the ride back had an interesting little twist to the groginess of medicine. Despite the congestion, they were easily way over 100.
    Saturday with both feet stitched and bandaged up, I took the 575 for a spin with my buddy in his Saleen Mustang as a wingman. On the way back home a silver 360 coupe was gassing up in an Algonquin Shell, driver wearing Fila Ferrari shirt and all. Anyone know who this is?
    Today I had to drive to another doc for a check up. While just south of the WI/ILL border, the same looking sky blue 360 spyder was flying up 94. Another happy moment in an otherwise somber trip.
    I would like to go to go-karting and keep the photographer company. But as for racing I might be in the shop. Anyone else see or take their Ferraris out for some interesting dips in the weekend sunshine?

RocketBoy

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Glad to hear that YOUR Surgery also went well.

I was going to take mine out on Saturday. It was so nice and Warm out in the Morning,and,It was my weekend to have my Son. But,we had lots to do in the A.M.,so by the time it got to be able to go out for a spin,it got really windy out over here,and sticks and branches were flying all about...didn't want any scratches on the car....:( (Plus,my 'Back' isn't quite ready for my "Low" cars....)

Also,my 6 year old son wanted to ride his Dirt Bike about "The Grounds" :)

But,it was really nice to see the Ferrari's place 2nd and 5th. at Sebring. And,Michael clinch Victory #2 out of 2 for Ferrari. Too bad Rubens couldn't have placed 3rd. Oh well. Points are points. Always next time! :)

I will be there Saturday,too. But,merely as a Spectator. Still healing. And,don't know how long I'll be able to last. Should make it all day,though....:) Modern Medicine and all....:)

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I had my 328 out all weekend, a bit winding, but nice. Saturday was the first day this year i had the top off too...

Sunday, while i was out cruising, going down North Av., i noticed about a mile back in my rear view mirror, a red TransAm swirving in and out of traffic, i knew right away that he spotted me and wanted to get up close. Sure enough, he caught up to me and started the hot doging thing trying to get me to race him. Yea, right kid! I was laughing at him. He would come up next to me and rev his engine. HAH! When i knew it was safe and that there was no place for a cop to be sitting, i let loose for about a mile and left him behind me. Once he knew that, he started in on it. I then slowed back down and let him go screamming by... HAH! I then turned north onto 59 and he cut across three lanes to turn also, he wanted to play more, but i didn't... He finally gave up and went down another street...

So, 2004 driving season has started, all the morons and wanna be's are coming out... Oh boy......

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    HeeHeeHee...and on the FIRST day already! Geez,I can't wait.....

Gotta be careful there on North Av. Especially in Carol Stream. Those policeman like to park by those Industrial Buildings,usually backed in somewhere,facing oncoming traffic,and blend in nicely...Believe me..I know :(

About 10 years ago,I was in a Corvette,"Playing with" a Countach. Back and Forth,etc... Well. I was first in line at the Stop light,(Westbound) at North and Gary. Light turned Green. I nailed it. "WHAAAAAA!" I took off. Uh Oh....Cop...Too Late,he had his lights on before I even got to him. I pulled over,and the Countach passed smugly by with a little "Beep Beep". I Got off with a Warning.:) Can't say that I ever Street Raced again after that.

5. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Tod,
    Im usually with my buddies in similar cars and driving styles when I go out. We push it a little but never purposely go out on highly traveled public roads to push each other. Most of our drives our out in the country side boonies where the roads are named after letters and the only traffic that we might startle or come close to is a stray cow. First night out in the 575 I was with my girlfriend and at every light some Vette or Firebird would try to race me. I remember after a very nice dinner my girlfriend and I were traveling north on Rt. 14 near Wheeling and just about everyone tried to get me going: including a Jeep Grand Cherroke of all things. Every light same thing, cars gunning their engines and me slowing driving off with them just behind me gunning their engines. Funny thing is at one point a Z06 Vette got on his horn and waved us down at the next red only to yell, " Well you got me the last two times, but I'll get ya this one." I wasn't racing, just slowing leaving the line never burning the tires or gunning the engine ( which is almost pointless with the F1 gearshift. )
    My last ride in the car on Saturday I did something pretty stupid. A little depressed from the realization I have more surgeries planned for the week and more doctors appointments I decided to have as much fun in the car as I could before I went in. Wearing medical shoes and sporting bandaged up hands, I just unloaded it on the tollway south of Great America. A school bus full of kids waving and doing the truck horn blowing hand signals before I pushed the pedal down was good enough encouragement. Got over 165 and before I could blink was at Lake-Cook road. That car makes speeds from 80 up to 140 feel like you are going only 20. Amazing road hugging presence.
    Frank, it looks like you won't be alone to view our fellow Fchat contributors. I am pretty certain I will sit this one out but want to meet the great and open personalities I have talked to on this site. Will your back and will the weather cooperate so that you will bring your Ferrari to the event?

RocketBoy

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No. Probably won't be bringing the FCar this Sat. But,soon....:)

Yes. Ferrari's are "Road Cars"...Not Dragsters. I found that my car performs better OVER 100MPH....not trying to see how Fast/Soon that it can GET UP to 100. These guys think that they can race you Stoplight to Stoplight. I did that stuff when I was in my Teens and Early 20's. I had several very Cool,very Fast Muscle cars,(and Corvettes) that were DESIGNED for that. Ferrari's aren't. These dummies don't know,or think,that the Ferrari will out perform them on the Open Road,hands down.

That would be like taking a Top Fuel Dragster out on a Road Course. But,these Doofuses,(Doofi...?) don't realize that. They only think "Dragstrip".

It's comparing Apples to Oranges. My 'Vette is very "Torquey". Will smoke my Ferrari,hands down from the Line. Get on the Highway...while the Vette,or any other car,(especially Ricers) are "Topping out" The Ferrari will be effortlessly asking for,and giving,More,More,More....

THAT is where the Ferrari reigns Supreme.

Besides. Being in my mid 40's,and having a clean driving record for the past 20. I'm certainly not going to jeopardize my Driving Priveleges and Super Low Insurance rates,just to be Baited by some kid with a $450.00/Month car payment and $2,000.00/Year + Insurance rate...:)

We've had this discussion here before. What I usually say to some kid who asks me if I wanna race. I say "Sure! What kind of car do you want to race me with?" (They say the one that they are in.) I say "THAT! You wanna race me in THAT! Geez! My Grandma,(or Niece) has one of those!! Ha HA HA!!! Sorry,kid. I only race Exotic cars" (even if the car that they are in,COULD beat me in a Drag Race. I know that I could smoke 'em on the open road. Even. :):):) )

7. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    That would be like taking a Top Fuel Dragster out on a Road Course. But,these Doofuses,(Doofi...?) don't realize that. They only think "Dragstrip".

Frank,

I completely agree and its always good to hear people think the same. Its like some sort of common sense erasing virus blanketed the land after the movie Fast and the Furious came out. I think rice rocket pilots are interesting and deserve some credit only in the sense that they really love what they do, spend every penny they have on it, and can identify with each other when they meet in some parking lot on Friday nights. But the way they drive and the way their cars are geared, well their pre-jacks. I want to like them but racing block to block on a public street. They're like the sexual disfunction in that they are happy to blow it all in less than 50 yards. They take on anything from grandpas in the new XLR to some pimpled teen in his Mom's minivan. If I want to gun my car I have no one in front of me and most of all I do not weave in and out of traffic full of pregnant Mom's in stations wagons with Baby on Board stickers. When I blasted the Ferrari I was on the highway and the only thing in front me at the time was a big rig tanker going on the off ramp.
    I think of the driving style of rice rocket pilots, where they do it, and how they compete in not so good terms. Ferraris and Trans Ams and suped up Accords, what's the point? I am sure if one praticed this scenario it might go like this: have a tricky little funny and seen twerp like Elijah Wood and a toned powerhouse athlete like Carl Lewis locked in a room. Rice rocket Wood would challenge Gold medal winning Lewis in a finger snapping competition. "Bet ya I can snap my fingers three times before you can!" Or Wood would say he can stand up out of his chair faster. When he does, does this mean that without the confines of a few feet or a limited playing area would Wood be a better athlete? So the next time a rice rocket starts gunning it up, let him go. Chances are he will go home like a over hyped puppy, think fondly over that 1 block battle he waged, mount his pillow for three seconds, and claim how neato he is too.

RocketBoy

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes. I can certainly agree to a point that Car guys are car guys. We all love our cars,and endearingly sink $$ into them,without question...:) Take them out,maybe a little more than we "Take Out" our Spouses....:) Polish and wax,so to make the Wife or Girlfriend almost Jealous of the Carressing....:)

There are a bunch of Asian guys renting a house down the Street from me. They have a few Super Tuner NOS Ricers ,and in the Summer,their Bud's come over and there have been as many as 10 of them there. Very cool looking cars. Lots of attention to detail,and $$ sunk ionto them,No Doubt. But,it's kind of funny. When I drive past them in the Ferrari...It's like they all stop what they are doing and Stare.(In Reverence? I don't know...:) ) But,I KNOW that any one of those cars could Smoke my car in a second. Maybe not on the open road,I don't know. I'll never know. I won't Race on the Street. But,they probably have some kind of impression that a Ferrari...ANY Ferrari...Just because it says Ferrari on it,can do 200MPH,and has 1000 Horsepower.

But,agree with you that Public Roads are no place for Racing. (Full of Minivans full of Little kids and Babies. Pregnant Women. Lil' old Ladies. Etc...) They have the right... more so...to not have to contend with,or worry about,some 17 year old with 3-4 times the Horsepower than IQ, smashing into them and wiping out their Families.

Up on the open Highway,with little or no Traffic... Thats the place to race...or,at the Dragstrip. IMHO.

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Glad to see some of you are out enjoying your cars already. A 575 at 165 mph must be a lot of fun.... :)