Off topic:swimming pools | FerrariChat

Off topic:swimming pools

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by benedict, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Since you are high-end kind of guys, what kind of experiences have people here had constructing swimming pools? Any horror stories? I interviewed a number of different companies, went with one but fired them almost immediately. I am now working with Pugliese Pools from Orange, NJ and they are fabulous. Big bucks but top of the line in every way.

2. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I used Sweetser in Huntington, Long Island to restore the pool at my beach house. Amazing, amazing, amazing work they did for my little pool (it's only 7,000 gal) but they built a custom, dark-blue gunite pool with attached custom spa tub. Just amazing work, and Don Sweetser is a gentleman and a pool-building scholar. :)

I'd never use them to do routine cleaning as their effective labor rate is more than Classic Coach, but I have them open and close it every season.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You are going to want to talk to Dwight Huchison about that. He works for a company that specializes in high end swimming pools based in CT.

4. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
  5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    BEN

I LIVE IN THE FLEMINGTON-CLINTON AREA AND JUST PUT A POOL IN LAST YEAR..

I WENT WITH NATIONAL POOLS WHOM DID A GREAT JOB, BUT GOT CRAZY PRICES FROM SYLVAN-ANTHONY AND BLUE HAVEN

JUST A NOTE...GO WITH CHLORINE NOT BACACIL..YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE ANOTHER MORTGAGE JUST FOR THE CHEMICALS ALONE.

THE FINISHING TOUCHES WERE DONE BY HUTCH"S COMPANY , WAGNER POOLS IN CT...THEY DID THE PEEBLE TECK AND LOOKS AMAZING...IT JUSTED ADDED MORE BEAUTY TO THE FINISH..

THANKS DWIGHT!!!!

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The key is to establish a relationship with a knowledgeable company that can service and tend to your needs. We bought a house within the past year that has a fairly elaborate pool/spa system with the latest operating equipment. I would trust somebody like Hutch to guide you on this. If we have a problem (and there have been a few issues resulting from unrelated construction near the pool), the techies show up promptly after a phone call. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

7. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I originally went with a well-known company but caught them in a big lie. Months went by and we waited and waited for the permit. The rep kept blaming it on the town delaying things etc. Finally called the town directly and the SOB had never even APPLIED for the permit!
    Incompetence is one thing but outright dishonesty is another. Fired him on the spot.

8. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    talk to hutch - he is the man, Bruce's pool is great and the finish hutch's company put on it is first rate

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Pugliese is super expensive, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I like the black bottom pools a great deal. We decided not to do a free form pool though, because you can't have a electric pool cover on a free-form pool. So, we got rectangular, but still went with the black bottom. It looks really good. I'll post pictures in the Spring. I think you can get just as good as Pugliese for a lot less - you are paying them a great deal for their free-form, "natural" design. I think we used Anthony Pools, or something like that. I think they were just general contractors. Anyway, it worked out great.

10. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Are you looking for gunite or plastic lined?

Rob

www.bridgehamptonmotoringclub.com

The finest collector car storage on the planet.

11. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Ben, use Hutch!

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I can vouch for the Pebble Teck finish that Dwight supplied for Bruce's pool. It is very nice compared with other finishes I've seen.

13. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
  14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bruce's pool is the only pool i feel comfortable getting naked in; go with Hutch, he's your man...

15. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Out of context I was LOLROTF at the above quote - Des you are too funny

16. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HEY TOM...GOOD MORNING

I GOTTA GET YOU AND YOUR FAMILY OUT TO OUR POOL THIS SUMMER...NO HOME DEPOT RUNS., NO HONEY-DO LISTS, NOTHING...JUST GET HERE!!!

BRUCE

17. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    agreed buddy, just tryin to get the car workin too, - working on the fuse panel. We can hit my pool too - don't tell des :)

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Being in NC I could not use Hutch with out some added airline expence. And he told me so himself!!!! So I am useing a company here to build my 75 by 35 ft pool and 14x9' spa!!!!! But I sent the contracts and the bids to Hutch who kindly looked over them and provided amazingly good advice. Hell, I spoke to him today about the project.

All this for no charge...well, except for the bottle of wine i owe him!!!!

Call Hutch, no doubt about it.

DrS