who wants to do Tail of the Dragaon? | FerrariChat

who wants to do Tail of the Dragaon?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just purchased a 348 challenge car, and plan to drive this road. Any other interested participants? Any other drives or meets scheduled?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm in with a normal 348. Pick a date & time, I'm there.

-Daniel

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Great looking 348! is your schedule flexible? The website says t,w,th are best for low traffic or early in the day.

4. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    I'd love to be there whenever this goes down...i'd recommend checking the traffic, weather, etc. before i went up there though...

5. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I'll drive up (from Savannah) if it's next month. Need to get my new car up and running.

6. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Come on up Richard! We'll bring the Asheville crew out to meet up with you. I'm sure you could stay with Robin.

I'm always up for drives guys, just let me know in advance so I can get my work done to take off during the day.

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Do you guys live near there? Mark said about an hour and a half...if a lot of people are going I will def. rig my car out for a video shoot :)

I have to get a new car first though :\

8. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    No it is about an hour....but i've actually never been. It could be 1.5 away if you are driving like Mark does hahahaha *8^p

Yeah I'm sure we'd have a good turn out.

Jeremy

9. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i don't take many weekends off, but i'll do my best to make this event...i rode the dragon many years ago on a bike . it was great. pick a date, time and if need any help let me know............

10. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Wow, I just saw the map....I am definitely down for this! :) I should have the new car + mods within 3 weeks!

It would be really cool if a lot of cars showed up as I could make a film out of the event. I don't know if you NC/SC guys are aware, but I do the filming and movie production for the New Orleans event (French Quarter Classic). I just bought a huge amount of camera equipment for the event next year that I'm dying to try out "in the field" so to speak :)

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Richard - What are you getting? You sure you'll want to make the haul from down there in your new pimpin' ride?

OK, somebody make the first move and PICK A DATE. The first w-e in May is not good, as we've got an FCA track event at VIR. I recommend picking a date, and location where we can safely store the cars overnight, drink a few malted beverages, and enjoy the mountains.

Trevor/Jeremy, you know the area right? Any suggestions?

12. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Give me a price range and whether you guys wanna stay in Asheville about an hour or a little more away but "in town" or out closer to the gap?

Off the top of my head Grove Park Inn, Biltmore Inn, Richmond Hill. A little cheaper but where most car club stay is the Comfort Inn in Biltmore. Last summer PCA sponsored an event with about 100 356's who all stayed at the comfort inn. Let me know which way you guys wanna go and I'll get some phone #'s

I'm not good at picking dates but I'm pretty free in May so far.....

Richard is getting another 350z.....he unfortunately had a jackass wreck his other one. Also if you guys are wondering I met Richard a week ago in ATL, we have a mutual friend(robin the yellow volvo).

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I emailed the webmaster for TOTD, and he indicated that t-th are better days for drivers, his web site verifies this and list all types of accomadations as well. I would rather schedule an event that more people could attend, and this may mean on the weekend. Also, this event needs to be scheduled so it does not occure when other club events may happen-see the calander at the web site. Let's vote, weekday or weekend? The camera idea sounds great if it can be arranged, so what are we talking about, three weeks? Four weeks?

As a side note, I just hit a deer wtih my xjr, not sure how much damage, will know tomarrow. I think I will take up deer hunting soon.

14. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Probably getting another 350Z unless someone drops a Gallardo on me for less than the cost of the Nissan :p :p :p

Don't worry, I'll be able to keep up with you guys juuuuuuust fine ;)

Yes, about a month to make sure that I have my (new) car, my gear, and the correct mounts. I would really appreciate you guys waiting up for me as it will mean an incredible filming opportunity -- plus I'd love to meet you guys :)

Cheers,
    Richard

15. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    A month is good with me........My vote is for weekend just because more people will come that way. It doesn't matter to me I can take off whenever, but my guess is your average person can not.

JDAVID it sounds like you've already taken up deer hunting hahaha :)

16. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    the grovepark works great with car clubs.. and they have some pretty good 3 days for the price of 2 deals if you book early enough... if you have never stayed there it would be worth every penny, the place is wonderful.

17. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    this is gonna be sweeeeet...

18. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey Kevin,

www.groveparkinn.com

I know road & track has stayed there before, and Mercedes launched the ML there. They had about 75 ML's before they came out. They have a nice valet area up front and you may be able to request leaving your car there. Of course anyone is welcome to use my garage as well :) just leave the keys in it hahaha

Jeremy

19. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
  20. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i carried 8-10 ferraris up to the grovepark a few years back and they treated us like kings. they parked all the cars out front really made us feel welcome.

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Grove Park is no doubt the place to stay, the 25 Year Old Scotch can be had. However, it is two hours from the Dragon according to the webmaster whom I spoke to today. He said that there is a ski lodge that is 30 minutes away, I recomend we stay in one of these, and maybe the Grove Park the previous night, or after the Dragon. If we are going to do this, we need to set a firm date. The webmaster said the 2nd or last week in April with be the best.

http://www.tapocolodge.com/
    http://www.snowbirdlodge.com/

22. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Folks, I live in Franklin and my driveway is exactly 1 hour modest ride to the Gap. In fact, Hwy 28 going to the Gap (IMHO) is better than the gap itself.

If I may be of assistance to anyone who is traveling in this area let me know. I have ridden the Gap more times than I can count. You can PM if you need anything while you are in these lovely mountains! If you want I can give you my name and phone number if you need anything.

I would be happy the grill burgers etc. if you would like to have a little get together. Let me know.

23. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Where are the links to this road that are mentioned in the first few posts??? I would like to go also, if we can set a dat and someone can tell me where it is.

DrS

24. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    www.tailofthedragon.com www.dealsgap.com www.dealsgapforum.com

just type in deals gap or tail of the dragon and you'll find tons on google/yahoo.