To Tint or NOT To Tint | FerrariChat

To Tint or NOT To Tint

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Continued from the old board...

As I and others have said, the most important consideration is your enjoyment of the car. If you are choosing not to take the car out because of the heat, get tint and get a windshield sunscreen that is insulated.

The second good reason to tint is to protect the car's interior from harmful sunlight. You can always remove the tint to resell... its hard to remove the effects of sunlight from your leather.

All that's been said, but what hasn't...

If you are avoiding tint because you don't like the look, then note that there are very lightly tinting films that block a lot of the radiant heat and UV light. Such tints are barely noticable at all, definitely not giving any of the negative impressions that some people get from tint. Yet it will give you most of the heat blocking and damage blocking effects.

Just whatever you do, do NOT get colored tint! Ack, phtt! (showing my age with Bloom County reference)

2. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been thinking of tinting my TR windows for a couple years now, but haven't because I want to find a way to reduce the blinding glare/reflection that I get off the dashboard first; would tinting the front windshield help?

Never had this type of problem in any other car. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you have suggestions?

David

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Its not legal to tint the windshield.

What color is your dash?
    Dash reflections are often a problem with non-black dashes.
    The lighter the color, the worse it is.

If black, do you use Armor-all or any other sort of wax that makes it shiny?
    If so, stop that! (Use leather conditioners, but avoid the coatings.)

If not, about the only thing I can think that might help is to adjust
    your seat (if it has such adjustments) to sit as high as possible and
    as close to the steering wheel as is comfortable for you. Not only
    is that a better driving position, it changes the angle of the windshield
    such that you should get less impact from dash reflection.

Hope that helps.

4. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Id luv to have the problem Brian,

Here in the UK we dont get enough Sun :(

But tinting would reduce UV damage to the Leather and look nice too, the old board had sum pics of Fcars with tinted windows>> :p