F1 vs. 6 SPEED | FerrariChat

F1 vs. 6 SPEED

Discussion in '360/430' started by JC360, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I am a very soon-to-be
    owner of a 355 and was wondering whether I could get some thoughts on
    the 2 types of transmission (which one to get). I have driven both but not
    spirited driving, more brief test drives. Also, what are your thoughts on
    re-sale value in the future?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jon

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Do a search, there has been more than a few posts on this topic. As for the sum of those posts;

F1:
    Cool and faster shifts.

Standard Manual:
    True driving with your own input.

I would find postitives in both and flaws in neither.
    Which one you like the best is the one you should choose.
    As for re-sale it is a personal choice but I would assume the F1 paddles would command a premium.

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Way to many threads on this topic already.

Drive both versions. Buy the one that you like.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Buy whichever one you like. I'm a 6 speed guy myself and both the F-car I currently own and the one I have on order are both specified as 6 speed manual.

5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    One thing I don't remember seeing in the threads on this issue is the problem with footroom on the 6 speeds. I'd much prefer a 6 speed, but after sitting in both standard and F1 cars, I don't think I could drive a 6 speed since there's no space for my left foot, and the pedals are so close together I think my right foot would hit the brake and gas at the same time whenever I stomped on it... I wear a relatively normal width 11-1/2 so I'm not sure how some of you bigfoot guys manage...

-R

6. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    if ferrari started to only make F1's, i would never buy a new ferrari again. i hated my F1. JMHO.

7. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    are you wearing moon boots? :) i wear 11's and i drive the manual even w/ big ole dr martens on... interesting, had not heard that complaint before.

EDIT: i guess it also depends on which car you're talking about. i could see that on some of the older models.

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I wear size 10 (British) and certainly had problems driving a 328 had to wear deck shoes for best comfort.My 355 F1 I do not have this problem there is definately more footroom but this may just be that the 355 has more space,as for the F1 I love it,for sure it takes a bit of getting used to and is certainly sometimes akward but overall (IMHO) it is better.
    Dave Mc

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

Size 13s make a six speed difficult. I have to get another brake pad, cut it down so that I would have enough room for the gas. I still have the other one to put it back to stock.

Art

10. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    there are merits to each transmission.

It is also possible to critisise both the 6speed and the F1 in many ways.

I have the F1 and I think one needs 1000miles of driving to really appreciate what it can do- in sport mode its quite impressive.

I was put off buying the F1 initially because of stories of short clutch life (3/5K mileage being mentioned) but ive got 15K out of mine and many of my friends with this transmission have as well.

The one issue which should be a concern is the greater cost if the F1 packs up.

It is not unusual for the actuator to go - thats £2200 and if the pump goes thats £7500- VERY EXPENSIVE so for the cost of an ancillary component on an F1 box you can rebuild an entire manual box!!

The manual box is not the best change either so its not as if your comparing the very best manual with an F1.

I think its very difficult to tell on a short drive and you can only get proper feedback on here from those that have actually OWNED both.

11. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.

12. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    6 speed for me...

It requires true driving skills...

Come on... the F1 do automatically the 'heel & toe" during downshifts... :-(

13. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    6 speed way better in everyway in my opinion.

14. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    F1 is better in every way in my opinion!! so how does that remark help!

15. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    if ferrari only offered manual gearboxes i would never buy another ferrari again. i love the F1 that much.

16. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    maybe requires more skills, but the writing on the wall is that these skills will soon be obsolete. ferrari only offered the F1 on their two newest and hottest cars (the enzo and the stradale).

17. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Although preference is to each his own, you might want to consider repair cost in case something breaks.

I am in the market for F355 as well, I currently have a E46 M3 SMG as daily driver, just like F355 F1 vs 6sp. The F1 system has same components as the 6sp, and F1 system uses some computer program to do the shifting for you. Now I have a friend, who had problem with his SMG M3(brand new '04 model), it shifts from 2nd to 5th straight, lost 3rd and 4th gear, the car was at dealer for a month, they took apart every single thing to find the problem, nothing was wrong and they thinki t was software problem but just did not know how to debug it, then it fixed itself, but still acts up once a while. If that happens to my F355 out of warranty(which mostly like it is), I will go nuts. That fact alone, makes me take a 6sp instead of F1.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That's why it's up to us skilled manual drivers to keep those skills alive so that we can pass them on to future generations. :)

19. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    too right rick. I am fed up with all the b*****it about people saying "only the manual offers true driving experience/manual is for real "drivers"/F1 sucks etc. etc."
    I think that all you who think that way, are just too touchy feely type of people! I enjoy driving just like the next guy. And am very competent at it too. But I don't need to convince myself that I am only a great driver if, and when I double clutch perfectly every minute of the day. I can enjoy both manual and F1 but I have to hand it to the F1 tranny, it is great. I want to be clear about this. The F1 transmission does not, I repeat does not, detract from the OVERALL driving experience of an Fcar. If you think that way then I am sorry but you have a very narrow viewpoint. And I don't care what anyone says. No one will ever convince me otherwise, regardless of their driver capability, experience or know how .

20. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As i recall, the F1 system in the 355 is very different than those found in the later models. As for F1 versus stick, the F1 is great and just plan $$$ for clutches as the system seems to LOVE eating them up often it seems.

Personally, no fund limit and want fastest track car = F1.

Reasonable funds = stick. As for which is more fun, stick WITHOUT A DOUBT.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

21. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    You have a warranty period for things like that, don't you?

22. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's obviously subjective. I owned an F1 F355 and it felt clunky unless you were really stepping on it and going through the gears. Then I owned a 6 speed 355 Fiorano Spider and it was more a lot more fun, in my opinion. However, the 360 F1 is vastly improved and there is a perceptable difference in feel between an F1 360 vs. an F1 355. Having said that, I own a 6 speed 360. Again, it's purely subjective. Drive both and decide.

23. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    On the M3? Of course. But on a F355? I think all F355 are out of warranty period by now, unless you bought the extended warrnty.

24. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris

I am fed up with all the b*****it about people saying "havnig sex with condom on is like taking shower with raincoat, it doesn't feel as good as without condom on, etc. etc."
    I think that all you who think that way, are just too touchy feely type of people! I enjoy having sex just like the next guy. And am very competent at it too. But I don't need to convince myself that I can only have a great pleasure if, and when I don't use a condom during sex. I can enjoy both with or without condom but I have to hand it to with condom on, it is great. I want to be clear about this. Wearing a condom does not, I repeat does not, detract from the OVERALL sexual experience of having sex. If you think that way then I am sorry but you have a very narrow viewpoint. And I don't care what anyone says. No one will ever convince me otherwise, regardless of their size, experience or know how.

25. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Is this a freudian slip or what?