Poll for a paid FerrariChat site | FerrariChat

Poll for a paid FerrariChat site

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F SPIDER, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should FerrariChat be a paid site

1. I will not pay for FC

2. I am willing to pay a nominal fee, say $10/year

3. I am willing to pay $3 per month

4. I am willing to pay more than $3 per month

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Poll if FerrariChat.com can be a paid site

2. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Come on guys. 36 views and only 2 votes beside me. Please vote when you view. IT IS ANONYMUS

Rijk

3. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    What's with all the changes??? Usually these changes are what kills something...whatever that might be...

I am willing to bet that this board will get less activity with this ***change***...I personally don't feel as drawn to it now as I was on the last board (even with the problems it had)...

Same with the 'fee', and other things...

Once people are used to something the idea is how to keep that something while bringing transparent improvements, not how to change it radically...

/Dan

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I would not pay money, but I can help with other things. Admin help, hosting pictures (soon) and helping out newbies get their way around and things like that.

5. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    If it becomes a PaySite, I think it will deter a lot of new members from joining. Plus it wouldn't be fair to people that only post every now and then, when they have a question about their car, need technical help or whatever. Obviously everyone would rather have it free then have to pay for it. But, I post here a lot, I enjoy posting, and if it came down to it, ofcoarse I would pay (a reasonable fee)

6. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I am very greatful to Rob for the work that has gone into this site to make one
    of the best forums out there.

I princpal I think it should remain free
    Although if pushed i would be willing to pay something as I think it has alot of
    worthwhile information from contributors.

But lets not forget we live in a competetive environment and force people look
    elsewhere.

For example the Ferrari Owners Site is free and a forum,
    not much used, granted.
    Or the UK Ferrari Owners Club has it's own forum, again not used that much,
    but you pay about $60 per year to join the club. You get the monthly mags
    plus everything else membership entitles you to and the website and forum.

Just thought I'd mention it as some sort of benchmark maybe; so as to compare
    what one might consider fair value.

I state again. I have found the FerrariChat site to be the best forum out there
    by a mile.

Wazza

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Wow, Im suprised about how many people dont support the pay site?

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Don't do it Rob. The site will die if you do.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm willing to pay only because I know what Rob has put into this. The old board, absolutely. The new board, well, frankly speaking, it's discouraging my own visits and I really don't think I'll be spending as much time on FC.

--Dan

10. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Well **** me running. Looks like a pay site is not a popular option to say the least. I will gladly pay, but it looks like I'll be paying to talk to myself.

I'm feeling some omminous black clouds looming here.

Just a few minuites ago, I felt an urge to unwind and go check the 'ferrarichat' board... then realised I'm on it.

Sigh.

Am begining to wonder if the best thing may have been to just db back the old site.

I hope Fchatters don't become alienated.

This is (was?) the only real internet group I partake in. Lotsa fun online and in real life events. I will be greatly saddened if it becomes compromised.

Best!
    Ben.

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ben: I fear the same.

--Dan

12. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Do not the sponsors paid something for this?. Hopefully, their fees should handle this cost and maybe it will pay for some of the time the webmaster spends on this.

:D

Never drive less than 12 cylinders!

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If you're a Ferrari owner, and you save $10.00 on a part through advice found on FerrariChat, the $10.00 fee just wrote itself off. Save $100.00, and it just "paid" for 10 years. Chances are, you'd save a lot more. Maybe even just on a hat. That's a win-win proposition.

As with any move, there is stress - even for those who merely need to get used to a new home without doing any of the "moving" - so to speak. For many users who are initially put off by the shock of the new, there will come a time when the balance between the old and the new is shifted to a more favorable light - perhaps it will be a slight change in decor - colors that closely reflect the old board, for instance - or a database-driven enhancement found that wouldn't have been in an html-driven one.

This will help provide a revenue stream for our site founder, who is quite active behind the wheel of a car that bears the name of this site, along with numerous sponsors. Sponsorship is the first step one takes outside of one's own out-of-pocket financial resources. $10.00 increased exponentially provides the financial resources necessary to not just keep this site running or a roof over someone's head or food on the plates of those who share his home - all of which is for the greater good - but for us F-anatics, the vicarious enjoyment of knowing we're helping a car do much more than make the laps. Racing is about winning, and that car with the label of FerrariChat can truly be sponsored by FerrariChat - not just in name and spirit - but by what it takes - real dollars put together in a pass-the-hat.

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Believe me, Im not complaining about the change or the possibility of paying, but like some of you guys, I do fear that both combined are going to really cut down on popularity of the website...even among past regulars. While the changes are great to help get rid of trolls and deadbeats, I would hate to see Fchat become less popular among regulars.

However, with that said, lets try to be upbeat and optimistic about everything :)

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Could just make up a paypal account where people can "Donate" funds if they want to.

This site will go down the tubes once it becomes a pay site. I , and some others may be willing to pay, others say theyd pay but will never get around to it, and absolutely no new members will join.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Perhaps every new user has a 6 month posting limit before they have to pay? get them hooked first?

--Dan

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Interesting,

I've been on the new site for half an hour now, and it's a bit confusing. But so was the old one for me at first. This is the only site I visit, the only one I make some time for. So I'll give a chance, because it's going to be fine.

I would pay if I had to. I would think that Rob might want to make sure everyone converts to the new site before asking for money. Why was the reason for a paysite again? I thought the main impetus was to reduce the number of trolls.

Vincent.

18. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Allan,

That's how Rennlist is running their site. It was touched on in a previous thread a while ago when the subject first came up.

Is there even a discussion in the matter? From my recollection I thought Rob had already publicly announced he was going to go ahead and charge.

Personally I have mixed emotions about it. I think both sides have a very strong argument. I don't particularly think it will get rid of the "annoying" users though. Just my 2 pennies.

Cheers

19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I will pay. The knowledge and savings to be had here is substantial. I don't think it will detract too many new people from joining.

I don't yet feel "at home" on the new board, but I'm learning it and I'm sure it will become "old hat" in no time.

If we do lose some new members because they refuse to pay then that is life. With ANY community you experience fluctuations in the population. I don't think culling the herd is necessarily a bad thing. While a fee based community will likely be smaller, I think that it will provide more of a "small town" feel.

20. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If its done in the same way as rennlist then great idea, they ask you for just a few dollars and then only if you want to use the premium bits of the site (posting pics etc) at least that way the admins get something back in return for all their work (and capital outlay)

21. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    i am wiiling to pay ;this site is superb .

tony

22. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    We have went through this before. It is best to start a paypal account or have people send you money orders for donations.

23. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I like the idea of a free period of say 3 - 6 months before you have to pay.

Or the other idea mentioned that you have to pay for a premium service,
    say for, posting photos or access to the arcives or something.

Also the idea of a donation makes sense.

I think these ideas have something.

They all don't discourage new users and give everbody the chance to see how
    useful the site is to them.

For one, i'm quite new to this site and already am finding that it is
    A MUST HAVE.

I would buy the Tee Shirt.

Wazza

24. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I've only been following ferrarichat for about a month now. This is the first chat board I have ever joined. I am still quite apprehensive of giving any details to internet companies. I only did this because in reading all the posts, I realized how friendly and close this community is and that a lot of people know Rob personally. I think this environment is very rare to find. The site is informative, entertaining and good natured. What makes it this special, are its members.

I do not think that if this site becomes subscription only it will survive... at least in its current format. There are many reasons for one not wishing to pay for this and most of them are not cost related. Giving personal details is probably the largest deterrent but also other reasons such as personal principles or the fact that people can move to other rooms, such as the owners site or the UK Ferrari owners club etc.

I understand that Rob would like to get compensated for the work he does but making this a pay site is more likely to fragment this community and scatter it across the other available chat environments :(

Even though I am still very new here, I really hope this does not happen as I will miss it !

25. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I fear that charging for the site will encourage that cliquey element so common in anything Ferrari-related. I believe the plan to be a faite accompli, and this is a shame because the previous arrangement was inclusive, welcoming, lively and unpretentious.
    I do welcome the new look - very smart!
    I fear that charging people will encourage that cliquey feel that is sadly almost synonymous with ferrari ownership. This board was so refreshing in welcoming all and sundry to celebrate the cars with no real element of snobbery or oneupmanship evident.
    Ferrarichat is ace, the new look looks well. Well done Rob, and please don't make us pay!