Driving a 355 vs a Testarossa | FerrariChat

Driving a 355 vs a Testarossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chiaro_Slag, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm looking for some opinions. What I really need to do is drive both of these. But I want to hear from people that have driven or owned both of these & their thoughts about both.

Is a TR much more expensive to maintain? Does the size of the TR make a huge difference when driving around town?

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    People talk about the size of the TR but it is only 2 or 3 inches wider than the 355. Around town it may actually be better, as all the torque will help you pull away more easily. I guess they would get about equal attention. As for servicing, I hear they can be very expensive-but 355 has its faults too-I'll leave specifics to owners.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I drive around town all the time in 5th and 6th gear and never notice anything lacking in the torque department (F355). Perhaps a testosterone induced teenager would find something lacking, but if you are just trying to keep up with traffic there is not problem in using only 2 gears (1st and 6th). On the other hand, I leave the fast stuff to a real race track.....

4. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    "only 2 or 3 inches"....that said, if you drive around town I prefer driving a 355, however the 512TR isn't my daily driver and I don't just dawdle around town, thus my choice. BTW, FWIW once you get used to it moving this car around town is pretty easy.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont think I would be lacking in power with either model. From the #'s, the 355 looks to be a quicker car.

The car would be used on weekends and a few times a week for the short drive to work (only 8 miles or so from home).

6. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    I didn't say 355 lacked torque, just the TR has more of it.

Nice car BTW.

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #7 Eric308gtsiqv, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great thread, Slag_328GTS!

Sorry I can't compare the TR with the 355, as I've never owned a 355 (yet :)) -- but, with regards to size, I've found that the size is not an issue at all. I can maneuver it in and out of the garage, parking spaces, etc. just as easily as with the 308. Honestly, it doesn't seem any bigger than the 308 when behind the wheel. Perhaps I'm just use to driving a Chevy 2500 HD Crew-Cab Truck as a daily driver :).

With regards to maintenance costs: I've only had the TR since last summer, so the maintenance has been nearly zero. Changed the rear decklid shocks for $70, the dist. cap boots for roughly $60, new Optima battery for $100, topped off the oil once, replaced plug extenders for $75. Beyond that, it's been "cosmetic" item purchases to accessorize or enhance the car (floor/boot mats, new seat belt latch, logo valve stem caps, leather owners pouch, polished logo metal gas cap, etc.). TR's love to drink gas by the gallons...you can literally watch the gas gauge needle drop while cruising down the highway -- especially if you put your foot in it :D.

From my records, the PO spent roughly $7k for the 30k engine out service (including new clutch). I spent nearly that much for the 30k on my 308 (including some misc. additional items).

Here's a pic of both parked side by side in our lowly 2-car home garage (and it's no problem maneuvering them in and out whatsoever...just remember: if the side mirrors on the TR clear, then the rear will clear also ;) :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    The 355 drives way better. Faster, handles far better and much quicker. The TR is not much bigger infact it's smaller then the 360 in every dimension for sure. TR is a great car. I've driven the TR and it's fun. More of a supercar perhaps but I'll take the 355 over it.

9. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    I am a 512TR owner and have owned othe F-Cars,328 & 348. When I was getting ready to part the 348, I gave it a lot of thought between a 355 and a 512TR. Luckily a friend of mine, owner of a 355 let me have his car for a day therefore it didn't just get to test drive but DRIVE.... the car. The 355 is a much more driver friendly car, power steering and easier shifting. BUT THEN I got to test drive my 512TR and was convinced that thisd was the one for me. Alot of F-people were saying that by going from a 348 spider to 512TR, I was downgrading. I don't see that way at all, the 512TR in 92-94 was and still a supercar IMO. It still commands alot of attention anywhere I go, whether to a restaurant or Ferrari events.

I would argue with anyone that says a 355 is quicker that the 512TR, I have yet to be overtaken on acceleration and top end forget about it. AS for manouvering the car in and out of traffic you will need a little more space especially making a u-turn.

This is a model that you can never get tired of looking at. Ferrari hit it dead on when they re-designed the testarossa.

Even though my next purchase will be a FI 360 coupe, my 512TR Black On Black will stay with me forever.

Good luck with your decision, either way you'll be verry happy.

10. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Yes the 512 TR maybe the ultimate Ferrari design. I love the way 355 looks but 512 Tr in black looks great. But 355 is quicker and will take the TR out for sure.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Only some1 who never goes to the track & has no clue would think that a 348 spyder was better than a 512TR.

Straight line acceleration my 512TR road car will blow the doors off a 355 Challenge. I've done this MANY times

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    This is an interesting thread I am contemplating the same two cars myself. I have friends with a 512TR, 512M and F355b and they have said the 512's are better cars in most ways. To say a 355 would "take out" a 512TR is asinine. What I do like about the 355 vs. the flat 12's is the exhaust note, more shrill and high-pitched, more like an F1 car, especially if the 355 has a tubi.

13. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Slag_328GTS,
    I have a TR and use to have a 348 and have driven a 355. The 355 is for sure, IMO, a much improved car over the 348. However, the TR and the 355 are two different cars. Both are great vehicles and to chose one over the other I think depends on what kind of Ferrari experience you want. I like the feel and solid road handling of the TR at speed. Also the TR is more luxurious and a bigger car; flat 12, etc. The 355 on the other hand lets you feel the road more purely; is faster off the line; more nimble; nosier (cool noise). Costs to maintain could be a toss-up from my experience (don't hold me to this). Initial costs of the 355 probably more than the TR?
    If you're looking for a nice blue TR check Martin's listings http://www.4ferrari.com/ Cavallino Motors.
    Good luck,
    Jim

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    As a 355 owner, i would take a 512TR anyday.

15. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    HI Allanlambo,

Just to quote you " I would take a 512tr anyday" but have you ever?? I think you would be surprised in the end. A few of my buddies own 355'S and have tried and it just didn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I was close each time until I went into 4th and then 5th after that the 355'S slowly faded away.
    To say a 355 will blow away a 512TR is an overstatement.

16. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A 355 and a Testarossa are the two Ferrari's that I’ve had a lot of driving experience with. Owned a 355 for the past 18 months (12,000 KMS later) had a Testarossa a couple of times for two weeks at a time.

I found the Testarossa to be harder to drive around town with it's full rack and pinion and vision is limited when lane changing etc. On the open road the Testarossa is more fun to drive. The 355's steering is too light and the pre-cool looking steering wheel's that have airbags (like the 360) suck.

I like and want a 512TR but I wouldn't sell my 355 Spider to buy one. The 512TR will come soon but first I got to get my wife her SL500.

DrewH

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think you misunderstood Allan - I think he was saying he would buy a 512tr over a 355.

Allan - What made you choose the 355 then? Was it more a car for your wife?

Thanks all - All these posts have been great.

18. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    My apologizes if I misunderstood

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I meant i would BUY a 512TR over a 355 for myself anyday.

This car was for my wife. I think a 512 would be faster than a 355.

20. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony

Again, my apologizes

21. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No apologies neccesary.

22. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I have owned an 86 TR for about a year now and have spent about $10k on it so far. I love the car and it is in great shape. I drove it Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Today.

After I dropped my daughter off at school this morning in it I was coming back home and ran it through the first three gears pretty hard. I had the biggest grin on my face after hearing that flat 12 engine through a Tubi and feeling the gears click in my hand. If there is something better than that I want more of it. I would be delighted to know that I have something to look forward to when I trade up next.

In other words, I can't imagine that a 355 is more fun to drive than a TR but if it is that would fine too.

I've seen some people write comments that a TR is hard to drive. My 15 year old daughter has never driven a standard transmission car in her life nor a car without power steering, power ABS brakes or cruise control until Sunday afternoon. I let her drive my TR for the first time and she had no problems at all. And, my wife drives it to work every once in a while herself. It's not as big as my Yukon XL and it's not as easy to handly as my Mercedes but it's a Ferrari, it's supposed to be somewhat exoctic handling. That's what makes it fun to drive.

Waaaaaahhhhh, click, clack...Waaaaaaaaahhhhhh, click, clack...Waaaahhhhhh

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Are you serious? Is this a fact? I find it hard to believe, but I know the eye can deceive. The TR looks WAY bigger to me than a 360. A friend owned a TR for 10 years and when he hops in my 360 he always says "I love the 360, it is so much smaller than my TR".

Gary

24. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would have thought that a TR is wider as well. What are the dimensions?

25. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    It probably looks wider, because it is a lower car and the being square and flat compared to the bubble look of the rear of the 360. Not sure about the dimensions.