My latest "project" | FerrariChat

My latest "project"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tvrfreak, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I got sick of my closet space being taken up by the ever growing number of photo albums over the years, so I went digital and started scanning in all my old pictures. It didn't take too long to scan them all in and organize them, surprisingly. But now instead of closets, they were buried in my computer. I needed a cheap way to display them and cycle through them. (Right now I am looking at a picture of my neighbor's kid dressed up for Halloween and petting my pet dog--read on, you will understand).

I looked into those electronic picture-books, but they were cumbersome to operate, had tons of limitations, and were quite pricey. I knew that I needed a laptop-sized display with the ability to run a simple slide-show program...so I decided to sacrifice an old laptop I had lying around. I broke off the plastic surrounding the screen and was left with a wafer-thin LCD panel. Then I broke off the hinges and folded the keyboard up behind the laptop and velcroed it into place. (Now looking at the Le Mans-winning McLaren on its victory parade lap).

I decided to see what I could do with that and a $10 frame. I had to grind some ridges down in the back of the frame so that the screen would lay in there nicely, and now I have to attach an external USB keyboard or access it over the net to do anything, as its own keyboard is upside down and behind it. But all in all, it works really well. I have put in 10,000 pics to start, so I shouldn't see the same pic more than once every ten days, even if they change every minute. Friends, family, cars, trips...all right there! (Now looking at my dad playing with my nephew).

If you want to do this, take your time. You will need to have a way of removing the desktop icons, but there's tons of utilities on the web for most MS operating systems (my old clunker was running win98). Also, be carefule with the screen and wires...they are notoriously flimsy. It almost didn't happen because my laptop died suddenly. I actually threw it away in my trashcan last night, but the cleaning service took it out and put it back on my desk today. I gave myself two minutes to fiddle with it this morning, and miraculously it came back to life! (Now looking at a sunset in Hawai--and someone who could quite possibly be Allanlambo's wife!)

Next step is to install a VNC client so I can operate it remotely, and go over the top and bottom silver borders with a black marker...

2. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    WOW!!!! TOO COOL!!!

Make me one :)

3. blackslade02

blackslade02 Rookie

Dec 15, 2003
    Make me one dude.. that thing is awesome

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Have to go old school on this one, Faisal- that's just straight up dope.

5. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Wow, that is awesome. Make me one as well!

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Terrific ingenuity. Very well done.

Help an old guy out - what the hell does that mean?

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Very cool!

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Russ... It means Faisal busts the stupid dope moves, homes... His style is straight 7:30, off the chain, you heard...?

LOL... It means i like it a LOT... :)

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

I feel so old sometimes.

Off the heezy for cheezy,

Mond-dog

10. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    What platform? Windows? Linux?

They describe how to make one of those in a book I have called "Linux Toys"... I've been wanting to try the picture frame. I think there was also a /. article on those last week.

Man, that's so cool.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...!!!

12. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Well, it's been up and running for a couple of hours...it's absolutely fantastic! I don't know if I will get any work done in my study now! I highly recommend that you guys do this...just get a cheapo laptop off eBay, take your time and be careful, and it will come out great!

Mike, my machine's using Windows 98.

Right now I am looking at a stained glass ceiling that used to be in a cruise ship, but has been moved to a shopping center in San Francisco...I forgot I took this pic a couple of years ago. Here's a couple more pics it pulled up--last one's for NNO. :)

13. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's really cool Faisal - you're a regular Inspector Gadget.

Well done.

14. soheil

soheil Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    very cool idea, puts the sony picture frames to shame. im tempted to do this. any concerns with pixels burning out? im thinkin that since the screen is refreshin it should play for monthes/years?

--soheil

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Awesome, Faisal...! :) You should find a way to ditch the key boards and replace the harddrive with digital camera memory stick-type things that can be loaded and unloaded into the "frame" and then you'd have a truly awesome digital picture frame thingie you could market; you'd be the latest sensation...!

16. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Well, burn-in and burn-out are two different things. Burn in is when you display the same picture for days on end, and you get a "ghosted" image even when displaying something else. This won't happen, as the pictures are changing constantly.

Burn-out...no more risk than in ordinary usage. I think it's a rarity in laptop-sized screens, and much more likely in the larger LCD panels. If it does happen, they might not honour the warranty when they see what you have done--hence the recommendation to use a cheapo off eBay, or one supplied by your employer!

Enjoy (currently looking at a fantastic bridge that connects Macau to a nearby island).

:)

17. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    NNO, they have digital cameras that can cycle through your pictures right on the small LCD screen in the back (my Sony camera does this). For your product concept, you'd just need that hardware with a bigger screen and without the camera mechanism. Easily doable. I wouldn't be surprised if one doesn't show up on the market soon. Thing is to do it cheaply enough ie. $100 and you supply the memory card/capacity.

:)

18. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    very cool and innovative my friend :)

things should be winding down in a couple weeks, so I'll give you a call soon.

best,
    ~Chris