OBD 2 readers | FerrariChat

OBD 2 readers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Juice It, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Do these tools have the ability to shut off lights on any post 96 cars or do they simply give you the codes of the lights that are on in the car you plug it into? One of my cars has a "service due" light that is on (which this particular service is an oil change and a check over) that I had done at an independent. For whatever reason the either didn't or couldn't turn it off. I was going to take it back in but read in another thread that you can buy these readers for the 130 range.

2. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Jeff,

I believe you can turn off any of these codes with the odbII reader - I have a 95 - so do not have the service light... but I believe you can reset the oil change/service light with these...

Rich

4. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes it will clear the trouble code and turn off the ck engine light. But if you don't fix the problem the light will come back on.

5. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

They will turn off check engine(SES) lights only. They will not due any service lights, as oil changes and such.

Honda, GM, BMW, and others have a built in service light that has different interfaces to clear them. Most are in the owners manual.