Mp3 player for the car | FerrariChat

Mp3 player for the car

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Juice It, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How exactly do the in dash Mp3 players work in the car? Do you need to burn the songs on a cd and download them to the cars player or can you somehow transfer them from an ipod or another portable unit? How many songs will the average car unit hold? Why wouldn't people be using these instead of disc changers since you can have access to way more songs without needing to use space for a changer?

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I was going to go this route, instead I bought a portable MP3 payer (iriver) that connects to my stock indash unit. $150.00 & 4 hrs of music. Not bad.

I've had penty of CD indash units that skipped or damaged the CD's. Never again.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have a pioneer mp3 in the 328. I just burn the songs onto a cd & play away - about 160 songs on a disc. Can also play regular CD's - It's great since there is not much room to store CD's in the car.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

So it doesn't load your songs onto a hard drive? You must have the cd in the unit to play the music? Does it display the titles as well or do you basically need to know what number song you are looking for?

Thanks

5. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sony makes a unit with a built in hard drive you can download songs to. Also kenwood and a couple of other brands make a music keg which is a 20 gig HD that you can download songs to, and it works like a cd changer.

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #6 Chiaro_Slag, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, you must have the CD in the head unit to play - Just like a regular CD player. It does display the titles. When you burn the CD, you can save the files into different folders, then when you are playing it in your car, you can play the whole folder at a time, instead of the whole disk, etc.

Here's a pic of what it looks like installed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nice,thanks. I think I will go check them out.

8. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I wanted one of these for my Mercedes but I would have to replace all the Bose stuff for it to work. :(

I really like the way they work. It is kinda cool to see the titles and to be able to organize your music with different folders.

9. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Do it! just for the sake of getting rid of the Bose! When I bought my CLK, the first thing I did was replace the speakers with Focal's all the way around and a new amp. Far better sound. I miss the days of doing sound quality competition. A car that isn't good enough to win is still almost always miles above and beyond anything you get from a factory. The only factory piece still there is the head unit and changer. I don't want to give up the steering wheel controls.

-ag