TR Oil Leak....pics... | FerrariChat

TR Oil Leak....pics...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carguy, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well Gents...(and Ladies) here are pics of the dreaded oil leak on my TR. It appears that the crankshaft main seal is at fault. I would like to ask those out there with more Ferrari-knowledge than me for any installation tips, and comments in general. Thank You.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    More then likely when the seal was installed is was not put in straight. This could cause the tension spring to pop out of the seal. Another possiable reason is if you forgot to put a small amount of grease or oil on the seal itelf. This would result in a dry start-up and rip the seal.

The way I install these seals is to put the seal as square as I possiably can to the crank. Then with a very fine pick work the portion of the seal that touches the crank so the lips of the seal are touching the crank equaly all the way around. I then hand push the seal in as far as it will go by hand pressure and then tap it the rest of the way home ,useing the correct tool.

Tom.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Tom: Just curious........what is the correct tool?

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Tom: I installation "tool" I used was a piece of exhaust pipe that I flared out until it exactly matched the metal portion of the seal. It was fairly easy to keep things "square" as the pipe is about 14" long. I oiled up the crankshaft snout, carefully worked the inner lip over it, and slid it gently by hand up to the motor. I then "snugged" it in as best I could, and then tapped it in using the pipe. BUT....I don't think I tapped it in till it bottomed out, just till flush with the outer face of the engine front cover. Also, Henry has mentioned the inner seal should be "biased" inwards towards the engine. this makes sense to me. I do remember using a piece of flexible plastic and gently pushing the inner lip inwards. Thank You for your advice.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The seal was not installed in far enough. Did you notice how far the old seal (before this one) was installed?

Also, take the seal to Home Depot, find a pipe big enough to fit over the seal and use that to install it.

6. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jeff: If I recall, I used a piece of wood and sqaurely hit the seal. I think I then used a piece of pipe.......2 1/2-3 inches diameter, to drive the seal in the rest of the way. Of course, I had the front cover off, so I was able to support the back side of the seal opening with a piece of wood, thus allowing me to hit it harder. I was then able to look on the back side, and make sure the seal was against the inner ledge.

I will look tomorrow, to see if the seal is flush, or slightly deeper, to the outer edge of the front cover.........if I can feel behind the rear washer.

Use a depth gauge, and measure the front cover, to the edge, and compare that to the depth of the seal.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    yelcab....I wish that I had looked closely at the old seal prior to removal, but I didn't. I will be sure to check things out thoroughly this time. You make a good point...one I will remember from now on. I have a piece of pipe that fits the seal on it's metal rim perfectly. Are you suggesting maybe a piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot?

Thanks henry...since there is a lip to prevent the seal from going all the way through the front cover, I will make sure I install it completely.

8. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jeff: When you remove the gears, and clean the area, take a close-up picture of the seal as it compares to the outer edge of the front cover.

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Only peripherally related, but you never know... When doing the diff seals this winter on my 308, I found the (large) cap to a large size of "Gain" laundry detergent was the right size and I was able to get the seals evenly spaced by reference to the lip on the cap versus the vertical face of the differential. I am sure there are more scientific tools, but it worked well and was strong enough to push in without buckling.
    Philip