SMG vs. 360F1 | FerrariChat

SMG vs. 360F1

Discussion in '360/430' started by andybm3, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Decided a few weeks ago to add a M3C to the collection and picked one up with the SMG option after being very happy with the F1 system in my 360. Wow!! what a difference, the M3 shifts faster and smoother and quite frankly makes the 360F1 feel really old. I take delivery on a CS soon and hope the F1 system is improved as advertised.

2. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    I have been driving a Dinan M3/SMG over the last year along with my 360F1.

I agree that the SMG has some features I prefer. It shifts faster and the ability to set the shift map with different modes allows me to actually use the auto mode. The 360 tends to shift too much and at low rpms in the auto mode, leaving me in a gear that is taller than I would prefer.

I also like the way the SMG releases the clutch almost instantly when I step on the accelerator from a dead stop; the 360 seems to slip more and there is a delay before the car moves while the engine revs.

I prefer the shifters on the column, however, as it is easy to lose touch with where they are on the steering wheel-mounted SMG.

I will update the software for the F1 if there is a way to do it. So far, have not had any clutch/reliability issues in the F1 (10K miles).

steve

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I also have an SMG in a 2004 M3 and love it to death. Once you get a feel for the throttle, and play with the shift interval (whatever that control is called), you can get pretty fast and smooth, and it is, to my suprise, very involving to drive. I had a 355 with an f1 transmission and it bored me to tears. The other thing i like about the SMG set-up is the stick, rather than the hopelessly difficult to grasp T-bar. You can easily engage R, and can shift from the console if you lose your bearings on the paddles. Highly recommended.

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I wish Ferrari/Maserarti would give us the stick option. I never used the paddles on my SMG, A system I felt was great, But when I ordered my Maserati Spyder I went with the GT mainly due to car not having a shift lever,

5. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    It's the Co. that supplies Ferrari and BMW the F1 and the SMG systems. BMW calls it SMG Ferrari calls it F1.
    I drove both cars and they felt very much the same.

6. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The M3CSL has upgraded SMG software which is very good. The 360CS also has upgraded F1 software, equally good. The two do feel different though

7. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    I think they feel different because they serve different engines and styles of cars. 360 need not to be as smooth as the M3.

8. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I own a 2003 M3 SMG and a Ferrari 355F1. I prefer the Ferrari. It is just as fast, maybe faster. My Ferrari lays an almost instantaneous bark from the tires when shifting into 2cnd. The smg is fast but not as hard. It is a smoother transmission though. Big mistake mounting the paddles to the wheel. Easy to get them confused when they are upside down and your racing. When racing the Ferrari you always know where up and down is. Overall they are both excellent systems though. I do like the stick in the M3.

9. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I havent driven the F1 setup, but my SMG M3 really impresses me. I feel much better with it overall having the DSC turned off, shifting down when I want to and having the stability control come on when I expect a little wheel slip was too unnerving. I still like my QV though, just not for the same reasons.

10. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    That to me is the main reason why I do not like the SMG. It confused me in very fast driving on multiple bends. It is illogical having the paddles on the wheel IMO

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    On a road course it makes sense... generally you should never move your hands to different positions on the wheel... so the paddles are always in the same place relative to your hands.

HOWEVER, on the street or in autocrossing, paddles on the wheel are a nightmare... its confusing as hell once you reposition your hands. Ferrari did it right.

12. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    The two systems are NOT from the same manufacturer. Ferrari is a Magneti Marelli and the Beema' is a Getrag/Sachs. Yes, the system is spectacular, if very confusing for valets.

13. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I have a 2000 360 F1 and a 2002 M3 SMG. Yes, there is a big difference between the two cars. At times I prefer the BMW SMG over the Ferrari F1. For every day driving the SMG is better, but on the track the F1 is superior. There seems to be more feel to the F1.

I have had many problems with my BMW. New engine, new transmission and a new SMG pump. Only 17k miles and all of these problems! Thank god for the warranty. I think Ferrari has a more reliable transmission (crossing my fingers, since I only have 3,200 mile on my 360).