Yassin hit by Israel. | FerrariChat

Yassin hit by Israel.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by teak360, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "Yassin had been returning from morning prayers at the mosque
    Tens of thousands of Palestinians have taken part in the funeral of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, the assassinated founder of the militant group Hamas.
    The paraplegic cleric, who Israel says masterminded suicide bombings, was targeted by helicopter gunships in Gaza after leaving dawn prayers at a mosque.

His death sparked calls for revenge by Hamas and condemnations from abroad"

Condemnation from abroad? For killing the A**hole who founded Hamas and was the mastermind behind suicide bombing?

Maybe Art will send his condolences.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They could have done it a little more discretely, they have the technology...and have had for a number of years...

there would have been less complaining...

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here's one of the nice little families at the funeral. It' too bad we have to be PC to appease them and their kind.

4. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I hear they fired a rocked at him, which hit him square in the torso. According to reports, his body was completey obliterated, and all that was left was his head rolling around on the dirty ground.

5. JakeTrading

JakeTrading Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2001
    "They could have done it a little more discretely..........."

By not taking about Yassin discretely, Israel sends a message that no terrorist is beyond their reach. This is a message that's important to convey.

What pisses me off is how the US and UK condemn the attack! I suppose they don't want to kill Bin Laden? All these scum terrorists are one and the same and all connected.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Hey: I was within 70 kilometers of Gaza at 05:45, when the sheik went to heaven to meet his 73 virgins.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I'm with you on that! Appeasement does NOT work. Ask Neville Chamberlain.

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I hear what you're saying and certainly don't shed any tears for any member of Hamas et al. I am surprised though, at how flippant some seem to be. I understand that Israel was sending a message that even if they pull out of Gaza, they aren't leaving in fear, no terrorist is out of their reach etc., but the bottom line to me is that Sharon has just thrown gas on a smouldering fire.

I wish I knew what the solution was, but I no longer have a clue.

What I do know is that the policy of targeted assassinations creates martyrs amongst a culture that worships, idolizes and kills in the name of martyrs. By "culture" I am referring to people that have no hope and have nothing to lose. Every time someone is assassinated in this manner, volunteers for suicide bombings come out of the woodwork. So what did this accomplish? Why kill someone/create a martyr when arresting him would have been more effective and more humiliating? If killing is indeed the answer, don't you think a low profile "hit" with no collateral damage would've been better? I am certain that the Mossad can get anyone, anywhere, anytime, so let them.

Not a perfect analogy, but I was glad to see Saddam captured and trotted around for all the world to see, instead of him going out in a blaze of glory, thereby ensuring that he would live on in hearts and minds as some kind of folk hero. For the same reason, I sincerely hope that OBL is captured alive and put on "display" as a broken man instead of being allowed (as he desires) to go down like some hero, guns a-blazin'.

I read that Hamas has chosen their new leader and he is even more hard core and militant that Yassin was. This is by no means a suggestion to do nothing, because obviously Israel has to do something - but killing these guys off in spectacular displays of firepower does nothing to further peace. It makes Palestinians turn away from the moderates amongst their leadership and embrace the most militant. It ensures that this tragic cycle of violence will never end.

Anyone have any "do-able" solutions that will allow both Israelis and Palestinians to live in harmony sometime within our lifetimes? I would love to hear them.

Joe

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I'm with you, kill them all and let god, allah or whomever sort them out.

11. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it is waste of time to debate this.

I don't make judgement or comments on those type of issue usually, because I am in no position to judge, and I don't think any of you are.

I believe things happen for a reason, there is a reason why Isarel killed the Hamas leader, and there is a reason why Hamas suicide bombing Isarel civilians. The history behind that goes way back, and it's deeper than we can judge.

Heck, if you are a Pale whose family are killed by Isarel military, and you decide to wrap bomb on you and walk into a Isarel club, none of us can judge whether you are right or wrong.

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You know what? There might not be a "do-able" solution. Maybe the term "Peace in the Middle East" will be an oxymoron in perpetuity. Maybe this whole thing will escalate rapidly to its ultimate conclusion (nuclear?) so it can be done with. Do I want that? No. Is it possible? Yes. Will there be another conflict to take its place in years to come, if not the same one than another? Of course, for that is human nature, and when human nature is altered so this kind of conflict no longer exists...... Well, something BIG will have happened.

For the sappy liberals and the new-age pro-Palestinian San-Fran wackos to keep holding hands for peace is just another model of the inherent inanity of the vast majority of humankind, juxtaposed against that same vast majorities willingness to be led to the slaughter by the power hungry.

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bull***t.

14. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Yassin said it was his ambition to die a martyr, you think hamas would be gratefull to the Israelies for helping him fullfill his dream

hey, look at that, im starting to think like an attorney

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I love it when people here suggest this and that. Perhaps more consessions on the Israeli side is all that is required ? Of course all their suggestions are based on good free western democratic principals. Trouble is folks: You are forgetting who you are dealing with. You are not negotiating with people who have a 21st century mindset. Free elections, democracy, freedom, and ending corruption on a wide scale are all foreign ideas. These people are stuck in the 13th century.

Of course that woman with the AK-47 would look funny on the streets
    of Europe. Also don't forget that the child would also be out of place.
    Perhaps the child will listen to "official" governent information on how to
    become a martyr ? Usually the governments do not encourage this
    type of behavior. So typical. Are there any parallels in the modern
    free world ??????

16. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    How come the term "occupied territories" is acceptable in context here? If it were the Canadians taking a chunk of the US and proclaiming the land as their occupied territories would Americans all sit round and do nothing? Or would they take up arms and fight. Why is this any different?

What has Israel achieved with all this so far? Hundreds of its citizens killed, tourism is down the toilet as is it's economy. Thankfully the US taxpayer has (and will always have) piles of money to give to them.

In todays world it seems the line between just cause and terrorism is becoming more and more blurred.

17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Israel is not the only one to obtain foreign aid. The Egyptians also got a few dollars. Israel under Barak had offered to give 95% + / 97% of what the Palestinians asked for. Clinton was their to the end trying to get those photos taken. At some point you have to leave the negotiating table.
    Lets all wait for the free peaceful democratic government to step up.