Vandalism! | FerrariChat

Vandalism!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 328Matt, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Have any of you suffered from vandalism?There was an interesting thread on the main discussion board about parking your Ferrari.I am paranoid beyond belief about some toe rag "hurting" my baby.Am i right to be so paranoid?

2. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO
    Not really.....depends where you leave it I suppose. I have left my 360 outside the gym, restaurant, friends houses...never had any issues. I find that all people want to do is just have a look..you have to be a right f***** to vandalise the car. Just leave the car in a place where it is in sight.

j3nzo

3. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    So far, touch wood, so good. I am London based but with family in Bowdon I have also left the car on streets near you and haven't had any trouble.

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    No problems with a Ferrari - generally people want to look at the car and while they might think flash git or some otehr such thoughts the appreciated of the car tends to overcome any desires to damage it.

I have heard of a fellow coming back to find some guy photographing his bird who was drapped all over his car and had done some damage but it was not intended.

5. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    I've also had no problems. I think if you don't race through the centre of town at speed, drive about when the clubs are kicking out @ 1-2 am, or cruise the water front as does happen here ,etc I don't think you'll have a problem. There are only a few F cars in my area, and people tend to know who owns them. The cars are built for the open road, to be driven. Why purposely antagonise people. It affects all of us and tends to tar us all with the same brush.

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Generally not a problem - I have never had any damage done to my car. However, items that are not permanently fixed to your car are at risk - e.g. I have had Ferrari tyre valves nicked before by thieving teenage kids. Not a huge problem to replace, but an annoyance.

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Never had any problems but usually park where I can see it.

8. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    Never had any problems - most people seem to admire Ferraris rather than resent them. Once had 2 air stewardesses smearing their "wibbly wobblys" over the bonnet of my 308 - although I'm not sure I'd call it vandalism as I was encouraging it at the time.....

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Also not had any problems but used to be completely paranoid then I said to myself " it's insured" and overcame the barrier!

I'm obviously careful about where I leave it but now use it much more for trips to places rather than just doing to and from the garage! :)

10. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I use the same "it's insured" pschycolo......pscyollo.....pshycol......mind games every time I go the garage to get the red beast out!

Never needed so far but it keeps the heart rate down for the 50 yard walk to the garage door.

11. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I was also nervous at first..you just need to be quite philosophical about it..one day some **** probably will mark it, intentionally or not, but if you spend all the time worrying about that happening you won't ever drive the beast! I echo the above..leave it sensibly in the open, next to nice cars in a car park so I don't get Vauxhall Nova paint on the side, but try not to stress too much about it while it is out of sight..what's the point?

12. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I've only had my F-car a couple of weeks and have been also wondering about the vandalism risk - good to hear it doesn't seem too bad.

In the past my 928 and 840 were damaged by people reverse parking behind them - badly scraping the corners as they did so. The 456 came with such a scrape but I got the dealer to respray (did a crap job so I'm getting a bodyshop to do the whole rear apron).

Since the 456 is even wider than the 928 and 840 (hard to believe but true!), my policy now is never to park the car along busy streets - it's just too easily done, albeit unintentionally.

Just my 5 cents...

Dan

13. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    One great thing about the Mondial is the all round vibility. Its great all round! However the rear view is very deceptive because when reversing you can see the rear engine cover, but you have to remember that behind the engine theres a boot!

14. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Strange isn't it, that if you drive around most of the rest of Europe in an Fcar (or even better a group of them) you would not even have to consider the risk of vandalism. Theft yes. I'm sure in rough parts of Napoli there are plenty of folks who might want to steal your car (as in London or Athens) but the non-criminal wider population at least respect the hard work required to be able to buy one. In most of France and Italy people from the age of 8 to 80 wave and cheer when they see Fcars go by. Even in Belgium (lovely people, but never seem to look happy) I've raised a smile. Few if any of them would want to spit on / run a key down / repaint with white matt emulsion, your Fcar if they saw it parked anywhere. Why is the UK so different? Envy? Who can say. Even here, the majority of kids just want to see an Fcar close up, rather than damage it, perhaps because they are still so relatively rare (although the thread on F-sightings is dispelling this theory somewhat). Probably they are at lower risk of vandalism than some other marques - my guess would be less so than maybe Rolls Royces, Porsches and Mercedes, let's say.

I've been lucky. 3 Fcars in five years and no vandalism as such. Similar to Dan's experience, a while back I got a good bumper scrape on my 456 from some idiot in Tesco's car park who probably couldn't fit their 7-seater 4x4 into the space without audio-parking (you know, wait till you hear the bash) - not that I saw it, since they declined to stop and let me know it had happened, surprise, surprise....

I always tell myself that it's insured, and that if I'm afraid to drive it anywhere I may as well sell it - but you still have to be a tad sensible about where you leave it.