is SALEEN S7 in the same league as ENZO & Mc Laren? | FerrariChat

is SALEEN S7 in the same league as ENZO & Mc Laren?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by urraco, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #1 urraco, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    is the Saleen a true supercar or just a car overcharged with lots of visual drama and aggresive looks and price? let me know what you think. is it a decent challenger ? otherwise how come they ask $ 380 000. a piece?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
  3. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nope, not in the same league because it's fast and fairly cheap to maintain.......

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The Saleen will never ever be in the same level. It is fast and it looks exotic and fine, but its one of those things that just don't belong in that supercar crowd.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The other cars are fast, you were wrong there, but cheap to maintain you were right.

I heard this car can drive upsidedown if it wanted to. As could several other supercars, and F1 cars.
    This car is THE American supercar.

6. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Does the Saleen have a Saleen De Dion rear axle.

7. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Nope, unlike the Enzo the Saleen actually competes on the track so it's got substance as well as looks. Are we talking the Ferrari Enzo or the Maserati Enzo?

8. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    To drive upsidedown wouldn't a car have to make more downforce than it weighs?

F1 cars yes, street cars, no.

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I don't know what to say about the Saleen. I've never experienced one. The car I do think should be up there is the Jag XJ220. I raced one in my Enzo and MAN!!!!!! was I impressed. It held it's own pretty well!! I couldn't pull him as much as I thought I would. We went probably around 140mph.

10. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So far I don't believe any car is in the same league at the McLaren. This car is still totally fantastic and it's been around a long time.

To really appreciate the McLaren you have to get up close and personal - gold lined engine bay, mid position seat for the driver, awsome power. It was designed to be the ultimate car ever built and it still holds that spot as well as many records. It is a stunning piece of work and really still has few if any cars that can be compared to it.

As for comparison to the Enzo. I don't know the Salem and don't really have too much interest in the Enzo as I've always thought it's overpriced for what it is and it's gone up in price not, I think, because the car deserves it, but because of the cache it seems to have.

11. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Taken from Car and Driver:

0-150MPH

12.8 - McLaren F1
    17.9 - Saleen S7
    18.0 - Ferrari F40
    18.7 - Ferrari F50
    19.7 - Porsche 911 GT2

The S7 quick, but an Enzo, Carrera GT, Pagani Zonda S, and of course McLaren F1, are all faster.

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have heard that the S7 produces enough downforce to go topsyturvey.

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The body alone costs over 100K.

The car does not offer that much
    more performance over a Ford GT.

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's not in the same league and never will be.

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Was it a blue one, perhaps?

16. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    the saleen is capable of doing this at high speed

ernie

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I would place the S7 between the Big Mac & the Enzo bcus the Big Mac & the S7 earned their stripes at LeMans & other tracks while the Enzo hasn't, neither has the F50 for that matter

18. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not even close !!! -----

19. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Not even close!!!!

20. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    The S7 seems like an overpriced Russtang to me, I know it's fast and has some high tech materials but I say look at the new Ford GT, the S7 is overpriced by about $200-220k IMHO.

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    While the Saleen does produce enough downforce to drive on the ceiling over (what?) 150 MPH or so, the battery and other fluids (gas, brakes, ening oil) will not allow the car to do this for more than a tiny amount of time. So, its a pure bragging rights kinds of statement.

22. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "is the Saleen a true supercar or just a car overcharged with lots of visual drama and aggresive looks and price? let me know what you think. is it a decent challenger ? otherwise how come they ask $ 380 000. a piece?"

Unless you are in the market for one, what does it matter?

23. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    Curious as to why it's not, please fill me in on your opinions. I think the coolest part is that the front lip can hold the entire weight of the car up :) No more ripped off lips on speed bumps etc. That and it seems pretty fast, handles well, why is it not comparable. People are paying over a million for an Enzo and I am sure there are a slew of cars that would overtake it in every aspect.

Kyle

Kyle

24. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Nope, no way....

There was a S7 at the Chicago Auto show and I gave it a close look. In about 5 minutes I noticed the following

1. Body panels held on by exposed screws
    2. Rear engine lid sat higher on the left than on the right (noticeable from 10' away)
    3. A blatant rip off of the F1's overall shape
    4. Severe orange peel in the paint
    5. An impossible to get to driver's seat
    6. And a cheap looking engine cover

Yes, it's fast and I guess every middle school boy has a poster of one in his room, but it's not much more than a glorified kit car.

25. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm going to stir the pot a little. Aventino hit the nail on the head. At least Steve Saleen has the balls to put this car on the track in hot competition (note the S7R in ALMS).

Ferrari is scared to death that the Enzo will not win, so therefore will not campaign it in roadracing. That way no one can ever say "that million-dollar car can't even beat a Corvette!" Then they have the yellow-bellied idea to rebadge it as Maser and put it on the track. Not only is this a cowardly hedge, but it defies logic with what Maranello is trying to accomplish with the marques:

Ferrari - extreme performance - built for racing - supercars - not raced
    Maser - high performance - built for luxury - GT cars - raced (???)