Why does everyone want to change their wheels? | FerrariChat

Why does everyone want to change their wheels?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #1 Husker, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It seems like there are endless threads about...

Will 328 wheels work on my 308?
    Will 348 wheels work on my 328?
    Will 355 wheels work on my 348?
    Will 360 wheels work on my 355?

Blah, blah, blah...

Is there an insatiable appetite out thare to disguise our cars as the next newest model? What's the point? Why don't we just start a new section called "wheels for trade" and perhaps everyone will be happy. ??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point...some people to seem to be very concerned with wheels...i quess its something to modify on there cars to change the appearance....nice wheels can make a difference but some wheels can seem tacky and too large...i do like the modular wheels more than the stock whees on the 360s..whereas i really like the stock wheels onthe 355 and wouldnot change them..the 512 tr wheels are also very nice

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Some people track their cars, and have race rubber on one set of wheels,
    and street rubber on the other.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I really dislikes Ferraris with the next model wheels on them

the worst i have seen is a 308 with Modena wheels..or a 246 Dino with borranis..ugh.

5. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hey wait a minute. Do any of you own an older 308 with 14 inch rims. Have you tried finding v rated tires to fit. I just bought four from Ferrari uk for 1,600 bucks. And the tread design is from 1975!

I would love to go with a 15 or 16 inch rim and stay with the stock look just to have more options on rubber.

What can you tell me about the area around the bolt pattern on the rims for the 308. some have a curvy line and some have a straight line near the lugs.

I like the original and want to stay that way.

6. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Because they are aspiring rappers!

7. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I for one think that a 308 w/ 14" wheels should definitely go to 16". Both for looks and performance. I also believe that the '85-'91 TR's should upgrade to 18" wheels for the same reasons. IMO, TR's look much better w/ 18's because the car is too big for 16 inchers.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    A f Chat member awhile back had 360 rims on a silver 308GTS, I don't now he had to change rotors, calipers, ec...

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is a general concept that permiates our culture: newer is better, bigger is better, chrome is better,.....

The only valid reason to change wheels is that you want to. This is a valid decision after you understand the ramifications. Unfortunately, few have the math and physics skills to actually understand the ramifications.

As far as the Modern Ferraris go, there is little to gain in changing wheels, and lots to loose. The modern Ferrari wheels are Magnesium, and very light, and a delicate balance between enough grip and enough feedback to drive at the limit. It is very difficult to find a wheel that is lighter than the wheels Ferrari ships with their cars, in addition, Magnesium is stiffer and more tollerant of pot holes than aluminunm, but less tollerant of corrosion when the clear coat is damaged.

My Vette goes: grip, grip some more, grip even more, snap spin.
    My Ferrari goes: grip, slip, slide, slide some more with sound effects.
    While the Vette feels heavy and ponderous, the Ferrari feels light and nimble.

Its that progression from slip to slide that makes these cars so easy to drive right up to the limits of traction. Conversely, it is the extreme grip that makes the Vetts and Vipers so easy to spin after one abuses the limits (with traction control off). As far as grip goes, the stock wheels will take Hoosier racing slicks, and r-compound tires; either of which will dramatically change the capabilities of the car ate far lower cost structure than wheels.

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    All Fowners with metric wheels are happy to find other wheels, just to get easy acces to better and inch-tires. The metrics you cant find and if, you pay to much for poor quality products.
    If I can find the right wheels for my car, I change them asap.
    Guido

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think wheels are the things that age designwise the fastest on a car. Or to look at it from the other side: Put on modern wheels and your car looks ten years younger.

Shameless plug: I got a set of the five spoke (standard) wheels from my 308 for sale. Any takers? I'm upgrading to 550 style wheels.

12. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    But be careful, a middle aged woman with high heels and tight legging doesn't look ten years younger, she wants to look ten years younger...
    I think wheels should be from the same era designwise as the car, or not more than 5 years younger. Soft design wheels on a 308 don't look good in my opinion, they should be edgy with at least 1 inch of flatbed in the rim before the spokes arise (or how do I say that).

Like this! (compomotive 9x17)

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I don't. And, I am even happy with the TRX wheels on my Boxer. I wouldn't change them if someone gave me new wheels for free.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hear ya. It's just that everybody asks me the same question, which is how old the car is and once I say 20 years, they can hardly believe it. But the wheels give it away I think.

I have seen the 550 type wheels on 308 and totally loved it, so I'm not worried. I like the 5 spoke wheels, just not as much. Another cool thing about the 550 is, that you get to see the brakes and calipers, so once I upgrade those to some nicer racing brakes, the looks of the wheels will match the looks of the body me thinks.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am running 16" wheels on my '78 with 225/50-16 on the front and 245/45-16 Yokohamas on the rear ('W' rated, 168 MPH). See profile:

Not only do the 16" wheels freshen the appearance of the car, the lower profile tires improve the steering response and handling over the stock 14" 'clown' tires I took off. Ultimately some suspension upgrades will be considered but for now the drivability has improved markedly.

DJ

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Quite simple really:

1. Now my original wheels will not get scuffed up.

2. Now I can put a set of nice rubber on

and most importantly,

3. I can fit a 355mm brake set

Don't like it, good for you, but the fact is the world has progressed since the cars came out, so might as well progress the car a bit. Besides, now my originals are safely kept stored away for that day I want to go to concours or whatever.

In terms of performance, the modern ferrari wheels are the best way to go since, as previously said, they are the best made wheel in terms of weight etc. I would rather a lighter Ferrari OEM wheel then a heavy aftermarket wheel.

17. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Why SOME people want to change the original wheels on a 308. See the picture below, look at the rear wheels. Can you find them? They are somewhere in there... Same with original boxers, they have nice flared rear fenders, but the rear wheels are just as narrow as the front ones.

18. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I agree with most of what has been posted, but I think that each case has to be considered separately. Making the blanket statement that "It's dumb to put anything with stock wheels on your Ferrari" is quite simply not always correct. IMHO there are two reasons for change wheels:
    1. The owner likes the new wheels better (A subjective issue that supersedes all other arguments. If a guy wants to waste his money on a Ferrari, I guess he can waste more of his money on wheels that don't go with the F-car.)
    2. The wheels improve the handling performance. 348s have heavy Al stock wheels. I have read numerous threads and received private communications from 348 owners that later model wheels (355, 355C, 360, and 360C) improve the handling of their F-cars.
    I personally do not like particularly like the looks of the stock 348 wheels not to mention the handling penalities associated with these wheels. Based on a previous post that showed picures of 348s with 355, 355C and 360 wheels, I like the looks of the 348 with the 355C wheels that were painted silver. Therefore, I am currently trying to locate a set of 355C wheels for my F-car. That said, I will agree that it can be a waste of money and handling performance to switch to later model wheels indiscriminately, but let the first F-car owner that isn't losing money throw the first stone.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Your picture also shows why US 308 owners like to change their bumpers. Ah, them Euros...

But that car needs a second mirror.

20. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    IMHO people DON'T change Ferrari wheels often enough! I'm sorry, but why did Ferrari change the wheels from what was on early TR's to what they were later? Because the typical "one style fit's all" DIDN'T fit all.

The Countach is (to me) the ultimate benchmark in matching wheels to body design. When the Testarossa came out I knew I loved the car but I HATED the wheels, on that car. The 5 spoke Ferrari wheel really has a utilitarian look. For a sexy body it doesn't add, and it barely belongs. Kinda like an "average Joe" beside a supermodel.

Getting the right wheel on some cars "releases" the shape, to allow it to speak for itself, unimpeded. More Ferraris need to be FREED!!!

Wes

21. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

k'............... ENZO WHEELS ON MY360!

J/K :D

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Actually, when bought at the right price, the value of ferrari wheels stays pretty much constant. Something that cannot be said about any other aftermarket wheels.

For example, I bought AND sold my 360 wheels for $1700. Now I am currently trying to put together a set of all 360 fronts, (hence the teaser since I only have 3 at the momment) and for the 3 I have it cost me a total of $928 shipped to my home.

Thus, not only are OEM Ferrari wheels made better, are lighter, retain their value, BUT they also are often times cheaper then going another
    route!

And PS

Will 328 wheels work on my 308? Yes, but with minor mod.
    Will 348 wheels work on my 328? Yes, with spacers if pre ABS, yes but the rears may be at issue on ABS wheel 328s
    Will 355 wheels work on my 348? Yes straight bolt up
    Will 360 wheels work on my 355? Yes straight bolt up

23. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Everyone's got different tastes! Think how boring it would be if we all drove the same color cars, wore the same watches or the same shoes.

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's Paul Sloan - on the old board, his car/pic/thread made me stop lurking/reading F-Chat, sign up and post for the first time. In a nutshell, he updated the look of that car 25 years by putting on those wheels.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sloan, Eberhad and Charness are my heroes when it comes to updating the 308. My car is a mix of theirs (plus some of my shananigans).