Flood Cars | FerrariChat

Flood Cars

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jerrari, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I am currently looking at a C5 Corvette that was in a "fresh water flood" up to the middle of the doors. For arguments sake, let's that everything works other than the engine. Other than now having a "salvage" vehicle, what other potential hidden damage could there be? Can the water/musty smell be removed from the interior w/o complete replacement? What would have to be done to the engine if water got over the top of it? Would you have to pull it necessarily? Thanks, Jerry.

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Normally with a flood car all of the electronics need to be replaced. You can dry them out in a warm area but all of the components and connectors will oxodize and cause the car to stop or run poorly. If you get water in the engine and transmission and rears then you can drain it and put some oil in the cyl. and crank it by hand then fill it up with oil and start it. Get it hot and then do an oil change. Check to see if it smokes and if so then you'll need to open it up. I would be more concerned about all of the electrical stuff. My 2 cents

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    my .02 as a guy who has had a fixed many wayward cars i would run far away from that vette. an old carb car with few or no computer crap would be fixable, even if it was short term salt water AND tended to VERY SOON after the event. my experience is that the current itself will cause corrosion unless all of the wiring ( ALL OF IT ) is replaced with new stuff. old cars are more forgiving and the lack of computer stuff made them less sensitive. please please dont torture yourself with that car or waste your hard earned cash. ..... (unless you are going to chop it up as a donor for some project but then what ? ) just my .02

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    stay far far away from this car.

5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    At a minimum, you're probably looking at replacing all electronics, and wiring harnesses. Not to mention, probably good portion of interior. Potentially could short cut and just look at doing minmum, but long-term will be headaches. at risk of stating obvious, don't forget numerous black boxes for brakes, seats, climate control,etc. None of this stuff was designed to run in a "marine" environment.

Of course, still have to consider was the engine ever pickled, or the oil changed out immediately after this happened?

A major issue also is fresh vs salt water. Salt water 10X worse for potential damage, short and long term.

Unless buying this ultra-cheap, after considering cost to get back to 100%, I would pass.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Simply not worth it for far too many reasons.

7. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    run away from this

8. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Wow, I guess that settles it. Thanks a lot guys because my emotions almost got the best of me and made me purchase this thing! BTW, it is the same company that is offering the red 355 "fixer-upper" on e-bay. The asking price for the Vette is $19xxx. Thanks again!

9. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Karting

Dec 8, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Robert Johnson
    Buying a flood car is like buying a used condom. It may or may not work, it's cheep, but who wants it?