Tubi NGT System on Stradale. | FerrariChat

Tubi NGT System on Stradale.

Discussion in '360/430' started by manu, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    Well it's been fitted....
    My impressions are fairly insignificant compared to Kevin (the owners) but I'm sure he'll chime in soon.
    - Silencer is F**KING small -looks lost in the engine bay - reasonable weight loss over standard... (muffler weighs 8kg).
    - it does away with the fixing bracket behind the rear bumper and bolts to the gearbox! (so more weight loss)
    - It looks like a race item.. not pretty.

Sounds:
    Interesting.... not as immensely loud as we had expected but then the CS runs a muffler bypass valve so the stock benchmark is VERY loud anyway.

At low rpm, it's lovely - the stock CS is still a little bit "sewing-machiney" before the valves open and little agriculural. Well with the NGT Tubi its a LOT more racy and deeper - more aggressive - almost as if race mode and valves are always open....and yet strangley NOT too loud either... nice.

At WOT There are two *KEY* differences IMO with the regular CS system - The NGT system does away with the silly non-linearity of noise the stock CS muffler gives. There are no valves on the Tubi so the sound builds and builds to a pleasing crescendo from idle to the redline instead of getting the explosion of noise when the valves would open as per the stock system and getting NOTHING when they're closed.
    At WOT it is every bit as loud as the muffler bypass channel operated on the stock system.... despite having exhaust flow channelled through a muffler...
    The second KEY difference is that the system has one extra layer of noise over the stock system.... a slight but discernible howl... it's like the stock exhaust note has been "cleaned" up and made ever so slightly more musical.. WITHOUT losing it's rawness (especially evident on low rpm downshifts - a little howly woofle type noise (my God - how sad am I :) ) )
    When we recorded it, the system was brand new but this "howl" was definitely there and getting more distinct with every mile
    All in all, I think it's a good product (yes I know I sell them but I'm not a bullsh!tter...)
    The stock system is tough to improve on and the differences between it and the Tubi NGT are all reasonably small....but in terms of small size, lower weight, much nicer low rpm noise and a slightly *sweeter* WOT noise, the Tubi NGT has the CS muffler beaten... A nice way of adding a little bit more to what is pretty much a perfect car.

Power increase?? - Can't tell - didn't drive it (owner asked but I'd rather not)- Kev will have to tell you if the car felt any different from the butt-dyno.

Videos are going to be on our website in a few days.

Kevin - what do you think?

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    whats ntg ?

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    any pics,Manu, Kevin?

4. team360

team360 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bell Canyon, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Platt
    I have not heard the Tubi, but Sunday I heard 2 Stradales. One had a Capristo and one was stock. The sound of the Capristo blew away the stock sound in my opinion. Sweet

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    NGT is one of the racing classes for the 360.

6. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
    the capristo is the way to go

7. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    All the way man.

8. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Looking forward to the video.

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    manu- do you know of the Tubi NGT crosses over the exhaust between the two banks? The 360 IIRC does not in stock form (one of the reasons the 360 sounds broken compared to the 355 in my opinion.)

10. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey Manu, I was too busy playing with the car to post on here dude! Bottom line is it's just FANTASTIC and definitely a keeper. The Hatfield Tunnel test was that last hurdle and it was just epic through there.

I haven't analysed it in the same way, but my impressions are:

1) At idle there's not much volume difference with the stock system. This is a godsend since it means my neighbours can hold off with that restraining order and my ears don't bleed when sat in traffic.

2) At 1-2K the sound is louder and deeper than stock, and quite menacing.

3) There is a bit of deep resonance at 2.3K.

4) At 4.5K it starts howling as well, sounding much like a 360 Tubi.

5) At >4.5K you get the Stradale note overlaying that Tubi note, but it's MUCH harder edged and distinct, like the sound has been cleaned up. The sound is less 'trumpety' than the stock system.

6) All the way up to the redline you get hard-edged Stradale/Tubi blend.

Through a tunnel it's just fantastic. Even more satisfying than stock, and that was pretty damn immense to begin with. The exhaust note is more complex and interesting, and you really can play it like an instrument. Butt dyno says the car revs more freely than stock. Bloody amazing. Other owners will know just how significant that last statement is.

You know Manu, when Ajay did the Maranello flypast with the stock system I was a bit doubtful we'd improve it. I can well believe the Maranello guys thought it was already an aftermarket system. I mean it's not like a stock 360 where there's obviously room for improvement. Amazing that we've managed to do it. Shock horror I have to work today but will try to get a pic of the system in the engine bay later on.

Kevin

ps WTF is 'WOT'?

11. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland

Wide Open Throttle?

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I sounds awesome. Congrats can wait to get one myself.

14. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
    sorry but the capristo sounds better

15. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Haven't heard it do you have a sound or vid clip.

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  17. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Has anyone got clip sound of Capristo to compare??? Would be interesting..

18. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen