Please Help with decision!!! Testarossa or Viper | FerrariChat

Please Help with decision!!! Testarossa or Viper

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Orthoferrari, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I found an ideal Testarossa for myself. Problem is I have to trade my Viper GTS to get it. No money issues just only have a three car garage at this point and wife says only one sports car at a time ( she has been very understanding of my car issues- have gone through corvette, corvette, corvette ZO6 and viper in last three years). Would anyone not make this step up. I have wanted a Testarossa(yes I have to admit it) since Miami Vice. It is the ultimate F-car to me.
    Please give opinion.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I suggest you get a 512TR or keep the Viper. I think you'll be disappointed with an early TR compared to the Viper while the 512TR offers very similair performance

3. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Chris--- No Contest. TR.

If economic consideration isn't in the forefront of your decision making.....Go for a 512TR.

Again, I am helplessly bias....but I love mine.

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I think you owe it to yourself to try something you always longed for.........testarossa. You can ALWAYS buy another Viper, very easily. If you require performance close to the Viper, then go for the 512TR. If it is the style that you like, then I would opt for the testarossa..........a LOT cheaper than the 512 TR.

I have an 88.5 TR. It is plenty fast for me!!!!!!!!!! I bought my car because I just craved that style. Unless you read the emblem, these cars look identical.

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Chris-- I agree with William. You are only a couple of hours from me. Take a drive this weekend to Kansas City and allow me to let you experience the thrill of driving my 512TR....I am in town this weekend. PM me if you are interested.

Tom

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    No contest - Testarossa. You don't want to look back later WISHING you had given it a shot when you had the chance.

7. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    TR, of course. 512TR/M is even better.

Viper is very nice car, but TR is a super car, after all.

Yoshi

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yoshi-- I know you've been ignonizing searching your F-soul for a 512TR or M so the same offer stands for you. If you find yourself in KC, drop by and you can test drive my 512TR.

Tom,

9. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the offer Tom. I have to admit the people on F-chat website have been most friendly and helpful. However I won't be able to make it this weekend besides you have helped me make my decision. Testarossa it is. I will post pictures when I get it>

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    512 tr is a much better driving and performing car than the tr...it is worth the money difference

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

You are most welcome, Chris.
    Best wishes to your F-car endeavor.

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002

Can't wait to see the pics :)

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Orthoferrari...I was in a situation similar to yours with one twist. I had a ZR-1 Corvette and wanted either a Viper GTS or a Testarossa. I looked at a lot of cars, and test drove a few. In the end I went with the TR. A Viper coupe will stomp an early TR pretty good, like others have said a 512TR would be similar in performance. But I really searched my soul about what to do. The Ferrari mystique and style really tripped my trigger. The Viper GTS is an awesome car, so brutal and "in your face". The TR is an exotic and has been a dreamcar of mine for many years. I really don't track my cars, and on the street I don't "let it all hang out" so to speak. So absolute performance wasn't the deciding factor as in my other sportscars. I did race a 68 Dodge Charger with a 440 six-pack and beat it with my 87 Testarossa....by about 2 car lengths in the quarter. I was as surprised as the muscle car guys on hand watching the event. So TRs are not slow by any means. But Vipers are animals when driven well. If I could I'd have BOTH !! I recommend you get some test drives in and see for yourself. Vipers are near bullit-proof, TRs like all Italian cars must be handled with care and serviced regularly. It is a tough decision. Logical brain says Viper. Emotional brain says Ferrari. I must say that I'm very happy with my decision to get a TR...I've never regretted it for a minute. Ferraris have sounds, sights, smells, and feels that no other car on earth has. It's hard to put into words. Let us now what you decide.....Good Luck !

14. LAMAROSSA

LAMAROSSA Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    CT for Now
    Full Name:
    Lamarossa G. P.
    I definately pick the Read Head over the Viper even though the Viper is a bit higher in performance like every one has already said.

I'm very impress with my friends 89 Testarossa but keep in mind that every 3000 miles service on a Read HEAD means lots of cash. With my experience, it cost more to park the TR than to drive it weekly.

Lamarossa

15. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    If it's a 512TR, go for it. Otherwise, don't bother. Not to knock other TR's, but the 512TR is the only way to go.

16. mjguflaw

mjguflaw Rookie

Jan 16, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Chris. I too am a fellow Viper owner who has also thought about owning a Ferrari since the Miami Vice days, although I'm a bit partial to the Daytona myself (yeah, I know the one on the show was fake but still). I'm also thinking of moving over to a Ferrari one day soon (but I may keep the Viper), perhaps a 355. In any event, if you get the TR be sure to come back and tell us how it compares to the Viper. I'd love to hear the comparison.

On another note, I'd just like to add how impressive the courtesy on this board is (generally) towards other marks besides Ferrari and how there are so many real sports car fans here that can appreciate different kinds of cars.

Mike

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I think Chris got the answer he wanted. After all, he DID post the question on FerrariChat, not on ViperChat. I bet NSXChat would give you a different answer too! :D

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Chris, If you ask this question here, it will be Testarossa. If you ask it on the viper board, it will be gts. There are some similarities and some clear differences that dictate much of the choice, but only you can answer in the end. They are both a lot of fun, stylish and crowd pleasers, so I doubt you will go wrong either way. But if you spend some good seat time in each car, you will know the answer. I am 6'2" and for me it would be the viper without a doubt, as the cabin and pedals fit me much better in the viper. Be sure and post pics of your choice and have fun with the decision, John

19. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    I had a Viper GTS for about 9 months 2 years ago. I now have 355 and don't miss it in any ways. I would take the Testarossa for sure. Even though I love my 355 I feel like Testarossa was the ultimate Ferrari.
    Good luck

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    What is a READ Head?

21. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Perhaps he is talking about hard drive architecture? :)

Vipers are brutal, and fairly roomy if you are a larger guy. I don't fit well in a TR (knees hit steering wheel) but they look good.

MM

22. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    As the owner of both a 355 and a Viper GTS I would suggest they both are equal in many ways. I parked my Yellow 01 GTS at FOW last weekend (it was its turn to get exercised, I had driven the F-Car all morning!) while I dropped in to watch a little of Sebring. The GM came over and told me that he wanted it for their used car lot as it was bringing in a lot of folks to look. I have been considering getting rid of my GTS for another F-Car, but the problem I had when I went looking for a Viper was that the condition was not always the best on the used ones. That is why I bought a new one. You need to make sure that if you have a really sweet, solid, Viper that you really want to give it up for the F-Car. Otherwise, shop around and see if you can work it out to keep both. With all the cheap financing out there right now, you might be able to swing it. I am lucky I too have an understanding wife, But why not have both cars?

23. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Don't ask a bible salesman if you should buy a bible. We're bias here.

24. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I had a 96 Viper coupe for 3 years with some engine mods that pushed it over 500hp. I traded it on a TR with 4,000 miles and had that for 1 year before trading it in in a 95 F355. I loved the Viper, but it was pretty crude compared to the TR. The TR would not be as fast as a Viper, but the quality build , sound, engine smoothness,and interior is far superior. Because the Viper is so heavy, the Viper would handle better, but still there is a intangible about the TR that makes it such a pleasure to drive and look at.

25. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Buy what you crave, but don't expect superior reliability, performance or lower service/repair costs from any TR over a Viper. I'd run any year TR for pink slips on a road course or drag strip against my Viper GTS and yes, I have a 355 so I am not a complete Viper hound. It really is apples & oranges and I'd hate to have to give up one for the other.