Some McLaren Service Center pics | FerrariChat

Some McLaren Service Center pics

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Johnny Bravo, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
  2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wow, thanks. I've never seen these before.

3. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
  4. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    Suprized that they let you take pictures of customer cars.When I went we could only take pictures of XP5 and XP1LM.You should see the SLR production line.It is far more impressive than the F1 and the factory is amazing.
    Daz

5. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    That looks sweet. Damn, that orange LM is amazing (is that the only official color for the LM, orange? I do not know much about McLaren.)

Those 'West' Decals are hot too.

6. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    WOW! That blue color on the McLaren looks even cooler then the blue one!! Thanks, i had never seen those pictures before!

-Armen

7. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Armen,
    You might want to edit that so people don't think you are color blind or confused. :)
    CS

8. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    TVRfreak, what are the silver and blue ones with bodykits? They don't look like LMs or GTRs. I have seen XP5 several times, but no others...

How many F1s were there in total at the service centre?

9. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    OK, the original 64 McLaren F1 roadcars came with a spoiler that rose up automatically, but was part of the rear deck otherwise. In 1995 and 1995, McLaren made the GTR racecars (8 in each year)...these had fixed wings in the rear.

The race cars were so successful, they made five limited editions cars to commemorate their victory at Le Mans. These were called the LM (Le Mans editions) cars. They also had fixed wings. All of these were painted orange, although two are rumoured to have been painted black to look exactly like the GTR car that came first at Le Mans.

In addition, some owners of the roadcars liked this look so much that they pressured the factory to convert their roadcars to look like the GTR cars. The factory came up with a High Down Force kit, and at last count 18 of the 64 roadcars had been converted with HDF kits.

In their third year of racing, 1997, the body styles were elongated to provide better aerodynamics and greater downforce. So, the 1997 GTR cars look significantly different, and were called the GTR Longtails. 10 of these were built.

To meet homologation requirements, 3 longtail roadcars were also built. A green one is at the factory (pictures on my website), one is in Japan, owned by an individual who also owns a McLaren LM, and one is with a private owner in England, someone who has two other McLarens as well!

10. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Great pics, gorgeous cars.

11. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Thanks for the info! So planning to trade in one English sportscar for another? There is an LM for sale over here right now! I'll find the website for you...

12. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    It was on www.oakfields.com but now it's gone. It was one of the orange ones, but they said it's a GTR. You said the orange ones are LMs. Were they wrong?

13. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the blue one is the one in my avatar. it was at a christies auction last year. I got to sit in it too :)

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    its chassis #011 btw

15. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

many of the gtr's have been repainted to look like lm's. Contrary to popular belief, there were 2 black lm's, owned by Prince Jeffri ("the sultan of brunei) and 4 were orange (including the prototype). 1 orange one is in japan, one in Massachussets and the 3rd may be in the UK. McLaren own the prototype. The 2 black lms are still in brunei (99.999999% sure they are still there).

A lot of the gtrs have been converted to look like lm's.

The one that was at oakfields is 007R

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
  17. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm surprised it hasn't sold either

18. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Johnny, thanks for the awesome pics, god I love that car, in all its derivatives!

19. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    That one is not an LM, but a GTR (chassis no. 11R) which has been repainted McLaren orange and made road legal (for the UK). It has the higher output GTR engine, and now that it has been converted to road-legal trim, the restrictors have been removed and it's the same spec as the LMs, power-wise.

The interior is pure GTR, though, so it's got two seats and a roll cage that makes sitting in the passenger seat very uncomfortable. To the right of the driver, where you would find another seat in a roadcar, in a GTR you will find the fire-extinguishing system and a bank of controls and switches (see pics). An LM edition would have the more luxurious and 3-seat roadcar interior. The GTRS dash is a digital racing jobbie, which is very informative and cool. But the rest of the interior, including the seating, is very business-like and fairly uncomfortable and somewhat unfinished or raw.

I was interested in buying this car and did go to Oakfields to check it out. But if I were to ever get a McLaren, I would get the more comfortable roadcar. Although this one is designed for the track and delivers more performance in many respects, the roadcar's specs are plenty for me!

Click here for pictures from my visit to Oakfields.

20. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Nice pics. Oakfields seem to get some pretty impressive machinery in.

How much was the chassis no. 11r for sale for?

Is the ''normal'' silver one still for sale over here in the UK?

I'll keep a lookout for any mclarens for you ;-)

21. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    That blue color is amazing!!!!! So that is a regular F1 with a wing added to it? Is that car for sale?

22. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yup, it was a regular F1 with the High Downforce Kit. It is no longer for sale.

Noony, we never got to the point of discussing price. He did quote some outrageously high figure, but when I told him that I knew what someone else was asking for a comparable car, he went a little red in the face and we moved on to other topics...

I believe the normal silver one is still available...

23. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    The asking price for that is £1 mill isn't it? Or $1 mill?

24. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    taylor and crawley have 2 (i know 1 is silver, i believe the other one is too)

25. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    If it's the one with delivery mileage only, as mentioned in AutoWeek, I believe they are asking £1 million. Almost $2 million USD.