New Yellow Zonker | FerrariChat

New Yellow Zonker

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Texas Forever, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #1 Texas Forever, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Awesome Doc!!! A twin turbo is one of those cars I haven't ridden in that I have always wanted to just to see the diff between that and the 996C4. Have you driven both and how do they compare.
    Erik

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Nice. I saw one with the aero package today. It looks great - but an extra almost 10 grand?!?

See you soon,
    Zach

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Now race them both, and film the results.

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    So, the obvious question is what you are going to do to it, Dale? I mean, these cars are seldom left stock, right? A few unsolicited observations:
    The Fabspeed exhaust made a huge performance difference on mine, but even the "quiet" version is annoyingly loud. (There is another one, not the Europipe, see if you find it by searching 6speedonline; supposedly very nice sound without the constant resonance).
    Do you use the backseat area? If not, stick the OEM rollbar in; it stiffens up the car noticeably.
    The GT-3 seats are awesome, but not great for getting in and out of easily, so you might want to stick with the stock seat. (The stock seat on the GT-2 was pretty good anyway, dunno if its the same as the one on yours).

The GIAC chip is allegedly the way to go; there are only a handful of authorized installers; Imagine Auto in the midwest is one that i know.

Bumper plugs? Color matched, of course.

Valentine 1. Pretty essential, if you ask me.

Enjoy. They are fun cars.(But this is not your first TT anyway, is it?)

6. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Gorgeous cars. Use them well. Great driving cars.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Congrats. Bobby has a yellow one also !

8. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I'll take a banana like that any day! :)

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The TT is really a fun car to drive. Even though (shock and horror) it's a tip! It was time for the MB E55 to go (pls go to Ferrarads.com if you are interested). So being a true car manic, I brought the replacement before selling the E55. (Will someone pls buy my car? My insurance agent is checking into fleet discounts <sigh>.)

And the tip works because, at least in theory, my wife can drive it. Sometimes it pays to zig instead of zag, if you catch my drift.

But to tell the truth (and I always do), the tip is real handy in a daily driver. Plus, I don't have to worry about the clutch blowing out from misuse by the previous owner (who was a doctor's wife BTW). In fact, does anybody know if you can "chip" a Porsche tip? If the tip was just a little faster on shifts, I betcha a hot shoe could lap faster in a tip, left foot braking don't you know, than a stick.

And for those who call this car a speed appliance, all I can say is that you must be pretty jaded. This car is a hoot to drive. I bet that if I could time it right with a speed bumb that I could do a wheelie in this thing. There is very little turbo lag, but when it hits GREAT GAWD AWLMIGHTY! It is not quite the punch that the Maranello is. But for an engine twice as small, the Germans have built one heck of a car.

I haven't had a chance to get anywhere near its handling limits, and I don't plan to on public roads. But, so far, this thing handles like it is on rails. It doesn't feel tail heavy at all. One of these days, I'll have to track it to see what it really can do.

But for a daily driver, can't be beat. I have no problem letting my daughter, who has never driven a stick, drive it. Piece of cake.

All I gotta say is, "Thank you Porsche for making too many TTs during 2001 to 2003." Buying one of these suckers used has got to the deal of the year.

Dr "They call me mellow yellow" Tax

10. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Congratulations Dale, what a neat car! I drive mine almost daily. It does everything right in an almost non chalant kind of way. And it is so fast. It's hard to believe how these things have plummeted in value but then again there are so many of them around.

11. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Nice car Dale! I have a tip in my Boxster and would never trade it for a manual. FWIW, an article in Panorama not long ago stated that Hurley Haywood recommended the tip in 996's. I guess if it's good enough for Hurley...