Info on Testa Rossa replicas ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Info on Testa Rossa replicas ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Minor correction. Tempero are in Oamaru, New Zealand - not Australia.

Tempero have been building replica cars since 1979, and their cars are in demand internationally. Their main model is the D-type Jaguar, but they have also produced replicas of the Aston Martin DBR2, Ferrari 250TR, HWM, Lister Jaguar and Jaguar XJ13.

Contact details:

Tempero Coach&Motor Co
    Address: 68 Wansbeck Street, Oamaru
    Tel: +64-3-434-9869

Cheers
    Andrew in NZ

2. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Hi Terry,

My post wasn't meant as an attack, sorry if it came off that way (perhaps my quick 'happy now' was a bit harsh). I couldn't resist your 'just one real example' challenge!

Anyway, my opinion is that the condition where a car becomes unsalvageable will be different for everyone - obviously in one case just being a GTE was enough for someone, and perhaps the remains Horsefly posted are enough for someone else to salvage, if they are in it for the love of it obviously. I couldn't see if the frame was still there.

I suspect what is at play here is the relative desirability of certain models, with PF coupes now being brought back from the grave where years ago they were being turned into GTOs. The GTEs and 4 headlight 330s are chop targets today, but as time goes on even they will get rebuilt from just rusty frames. After all, there was a time when even the race cars were just worn out broken rubbish that nobody had the parts or knowledge to fix.

So you know where I stand, I bought a 4 headlight 330 which was a serious target for being parted out, and am working to bring it back. And loving every minute. That said, I would love to have one of those GTO spyders!

Cheers,
    Jonathon

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is all about money!, simply as that. Do you think Tempero, or any of the other companies give a **** about what cars they destroy to maintain their cash flow.

As I have said before replica making is the top end of the bogging and painting an old banger resale red to increase the selling price.

We as car enthusiasts should actually be interested in the car ...

The only comment I will make about Tempero, is I watched a program about them many years ago when I lived in NZ ... his D-type replicas look about as close to a real D-type as any replica will be that is made from photo graphs. He simply draws the shape and makes them ... the one they showed to me personally did not look 100% right, but then I have seen and watched a REAL D-type race once.

I though do wonder what is underneath, because a real replica should be 100% exactly the same structure wise, not just be a look-a-like. Most D-type replicas have the XJ6 independent rear suspension ... which is just wrong.

In the end any Columbo or pre 1980 Ferrari engine or gearbox should be considered by enthusiasts as more than just another component like you would treat say a Ford 351 v8. Especially a Columbo engine as that car probably had some sort of history ... and the original car WILL be far more important to the classic car world in many years time than a copy that has no relevant history (ie. classic car racing results do NOT constitute meaningful history).

William, how about an XJ13 replica ... such a gorgeous car and oh so Jaguar!. Always thought that would be an interesting car to own ... and they only made 1 ...

Pete

4. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Wow, I thought William was looking for advice on who made the best car. All of the evangelists have come out of the woodwork to scold all the replicar enthusiasts. I don't think this is what he was looking for. Monet and Picasso have there work hanging in museums for the most part and yet people are happy to enjoy a print of the same works in their office. GTOs and TRs sit in stuffy collections with epoxied floors and climate controls and are rarely driven. Isn't the driving experience what it is all about? I have worked on and driven nearly every type of Ferrari in 28 years and have enjoyed my fakes as much as any of the real ones. I did a lot less worrying about them too!

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Those prints did not destroy other art work.

Wrong, many GTOs are driven often. Quite amazing considering their worth.

The driving experience should not come at a sacrifice of another important (to somebody) model.

Cool. I have nothing against replicas in general, only ones that steal components from real Ferraris or other rare cars. One could make a good replica 250GTO with say an Alfa Romeo 3ltr v6 engine. Same hp, good sound and without destroying a real Ferrari ... just one of the many 1000s of Alfa Romeos that get tossed into wreckers yards by the dozen.

When the last 250 GT 2+2 (for example) is cut up for another replica, I will remind you of that driving experience comment. Nobody anymore will be able to experience what a 250 GT 2+2 is like to drive ... :(

Pete

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Now you know as well as I do that this will never happen. There is absolutely no chance that the desire for replicas is going to result in every single 250 GT 2+2 out there being carved up for its parts. I can see it now.... somebody buying a 100pt concours condition car just to steal the engine out.... right. Many of your arguements have very valid points. Dont ruin it by throwing out exaggerations like that!

If I were going to build a 250 or 330 GT 2+2 based replica, I would only use a pretty clapped out example. I would also hang onto the donor car. Why not keep it and store it just in case one day you do decide to put a chevy in the replica and restore the real Ferrari. Or worse... what if one day you smash the crap out of the replica but the engine/trans are still fine? It really surprises me that people take the parts they need and dont hang onto the rest of the donor.

Terry

7. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Hi Terry,

Getting back to your original question, search on 'Chelle' if you haven't already. She is very knowlegable on the GTO replicas, and has posted at length here in both the current and archived forums. She has both a Nissan based version and a Ferrari based replica, and knows of many of the other replicas out there and about the quality of the manufacturers.

Here is a good thread:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4189

Other random thoughts - I saw a very well made Pontoon TR replica in the parking lot of the Concorso Italiano in 2002 (I think) - had a massive V-8 crammed in the nose. Looked like great fun. Also, anyone remember the yellow Cobrari which was on Ebay a while back - cobra kitcar, but with a 400 engine in the nose. Also pretty neat.

Cheers,
    Jonathon

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D :D, yes got a little carried away.

Still think a 300hp 3 litre v6 Alfa Romeo engine would make a good source of the go for a 250 GTO, TR or LM replica.

Pete

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Terry, unfortunately many very good cars have been trashed in process of building replicas. Many perfect Daytonas have been cut in process of making fake spyders.

Here is one very nice project car:
    http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari216.htm

I think the chassis number is 3237GT (I have seen many others, but this was the only one I could locate photos on the net right away).

I don't think value is a good meter to determine what is worth preserving unless you are very poor. Many irreplaceable things have been destroyed through the ages just because even storing them was not "economically reasonable" at the time. When something is "beyond economical restoration" depends a great deal on how you want to see it and changes rapidly with time. Of course there will always be market for ugly fakes (very very few replicas look even remotely like original cars!) like there will be market for Chinese Rolexes. I like Chinese Rolexes better as no original pieces are broken up for parts when they are manufactured.

I am a purist, I know, but I think every replica owner is creating more demand for fake cars and thus endanger the future of perfectly restorable project cars. I know all cars cannot be preserved but it is always sad when a good car is trashed to make a poor fake. Most existing TR/59-replicas are among the saddest cases there are...

Best wishes, Kare