Flat Screen TV - Which one is best? | FerrariChat

Flat Screen TV - Which one is best?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lawwdog, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm on the market for a flat screen....what should I be looking for? I see plenty now in the $2500 - $4000 range. Should I go to consumer reports?

I see them at Costco, Gateway, all kinds. Who has what. What do you guys have.

Any info is very appreciated.

Mario

2. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    sound image.

3. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    sound image.

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I like the Pioneer Elite series. Works well for me.

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I love SONY, always buy top of the line SONY on my budget.

Well, flat screen could mean tube flat screen (direct view) or flat panel TV. If you don't have problem with the space, I prefer a direct view TV, has a better resolution!!

The best flat screen tube (direct view) TV as of now by SONY is
    16:9 format - KV-34XBR910 replacing KV-34HS510 (what I have, paid for $1899)

The only difference between the two is "Super Fine Pitch™ CRT for accurate moving and still image detail" but you are paying about $600 more ($2500) plus Sony will give you extra stand comes with the price.

If you like flat panel: I recommend LCD over Plasma for better resolution and not burn out too fast, say like when you watch Bloomberg for stock tickers or sport tickers the pixel on plasma will get burned pretty fast.

For flat panel my best pick on your price category is KLV-26HG2 LCD - 26 inch LCD for $3300 MSRP but for a little bit more for $6000 you get KDL-32XBR950 32

Check Sony's web-site for more details
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=mGj49Pq3tXH467rV8kHy_7WneSBQHdJe6dg=?CategoryName=tv_lcd&Dept=tv

and then you shop around. Goodguys.com or CDW.com or B&H photo or jandr.com in NY are my good source of pricing info.

Good luck. Trust me you won't get dissappointed!!

6. 04cambio

04cambio Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Pioneer Elite is the only way to go.

7. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I believe I will have to go flat panel. I will need to mount it over our fire place. So you say LCD over plasma...

Beside the sony unit you speak about is the Pioneer unit a Flat Panel?

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The ONLY Plasma monitor I will use in my installs is the Pioneer 503CMX. This is the industrial rated version of the Elite model (usually I end up doing a custom frame anyway.) The industrial version adds better power supplies, and is rated for 24/7/365 operation which is important to many corporate clients.

LCD technology is making fantastic inroads, and in my opinion will obsoleate Plasma in 5 years or less.

I have NEVER been at all statisfied with the image quality coming out of plasma screens. I too recomend direct-view CRT still. I did one project where I in-set a direct-view set into a client's wall and made it look like a plasma (set in some beautiful birdseye maple hardwood.)

LCD simply looks better, and will be cheaper to make. Done deal.

LCD is at 37" maximum right now, and they look pretty amazing.

EDIT: Sony is out with a 42" LCD!
    42" LCD WEGA™ Flat Panel Television KDL-42XBR950

I have not yet auditioned it, but if it is like Sony's 32" offering, this will be the one to beat.

9. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    CRT is best high def
    DLP is next
    LCD is next
    Plasma is last(dont buy into the hype=ripoff)

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Was looking at them today actually.

LCD screens definately look much better than plasma screens.

When I was in London last October, I popped into Harrod's; in their electronics department, I saw a 60 inch Sony LCD screen in all its glory. Was around $40,000 IIRC.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm glad people are standing up to plasma - I've never liked their low-res, slow images. You can see that the frame rate ability on them is not very good, resulting in a frame-to-frame blur like an old laptop.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Add me to the list of people who aren't impressed with plasma. The picture quality sucks! I'll stick to the big old rear projection. It's as deep as it is wide, but it's a great TV.

13. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    depends on your needs, but i would go for pioneer or sony as most people have said. One thing i dont know is that lcd looks better than plasma? i was with the same deal at looking for something big and lcds have a problem with the angle of view which depending on where you are sitting the image quality is compromised, not so on plasma or crt tv, and also of most tvs i've seen and i think i've seen quite a lot, plasmas in general look better than lcd, plus lcd's are quite expensive if you want high contrast and resolution. There are some good new DLP products coming out that are way thinner than old rear projection tvs and some crt tvs, and look really good so maybe those are to consider also.

14. Sensational1

Sensational1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Michael Basic
    The best picture quality is what just came out. LCOS=Liquid Crystal on Silicon. Check it out.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It depends on what your needs are. I bought a 42 inch Gateway Plasma a month ago for my office and it works perfectly for what I wanted. If you are looking for your high end home theater you would probably want something else. The quality of the picture is all about the quality of whatever you are using to get programming(are you using cable,sat., an antenna, a dvd) you can use the same tv for all of these and the picture can be terrible because you cable reception sucks and great on the DVD.

16. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Plasma tvs will be replaced by LCD tvs.

LCD tvs are better and last longer. THe only problem is that LCD tvs now arent offered in the 60" or 61" size as the plasmas are if you are interested in getting a large tv.

17. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Hey guys, any particular LCD models that you recommend? I understand in the 20-34" range the Sharp Aquos is one of the best, anybody have one?

THANKS!!!

18. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    do some real research, lawwdog.

each of the technologies discussed and mentioned here have substantial pros and cons. and only you can decide which technology as a result is right for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/ has a GREAT flat-panel forum which includes a very useful FAQ.

if you only want to spend in the "$2500-$4000 range" plasma will be tough if you want a very high quality picture. $4500 to $6500 will get you a decent setup (eg: the aforementioned 503CMX, delivered, with mounting mechanism, etc. etc.).

if you just want a 50" plasma display, consider the fujitsu - it has some of the best internal video processing of the bunch, though many would consider that damning with faint praise. the pioneer units have horrid (imo/ime) video processing. however, if you plan to go hog wild, and you'll be driving your plasma with an external processor via DVI (eg: HD Leeza, Lumagen VisionProHDP, HTPC, etc.) it's another ball of wax entirely - yum yum.

doody.

19. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Doody & Everyone,

What would you suggest for a $2500 - 3500 budget. The size can be no wider than 36 inches.

I'll be watching broadcast TV, DVD, maybe X-Box.

20. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I have got Sony LCD - KLV-21SG2 in my kitchen, good enough watching Directv when I have dinner.

I would choose among these three for the best price

23" LCD WEGA™ Flat Panel Television
    KLV-23HR2 $ 2,499.99

23" LCD WEGA™ Flat Panel Television
    KLV-23HR1 $ 2,299.99

21" LCD WEGA™ Flat Panel television
    KLV-21SG2 $ 1,699.99

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sony's are good and all, yet the Sharp LCD is also excellent. Use the Sharp 15" in my bedroom and the picture, remote layout, and FUNCTIONALITY is excellent! As i recall Pioneer Elite makes the best or close to it. That AVS website is a GREAT resource for information and reviews. Like Bose loudspeakers, some people are swayed by marketing or a brand name over true capabilities.