Off Topic: Watches | FerrariChat

Off Topic: Watches

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Black355, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Hi,

Anyone have a good watch dealer in NYC? I need one of these:

http://store2.yimg.com/I/jomashop_1781_11745403

...and a Rolex for a "friend" -- and maybe a GP Ferrari watch, too. Any leads, sources, shops, etc. are appreciated!

Emil

2. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    well....this is not in NYC...but this site is awesome if you need to buy a high-end watch for probably the cheapest price you can find.......i have used them many times.

www.feelgoodwatches.com

3. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Hey Emil,

It was a pleasure meeting you, Vik, and I had met Noah, on Saturday. Thank you for the kind words...

For the Cartier, you want to use Gelber & Mundy, 74 Bowery, 212 925 0639. They're 30-40% off, depending on demand/availability. They should have the Roadster.

I'm more familiar with Rolexs', myself. Which model for your friend, and which GP? I know authorized jewelers for both both...

Gus

Anyone have a good watch dealer in NYC? I need one of these:

http://store2.yimg.com/I/jomashop_1781_11745403

...and a Rolex for a "friend" -- and maybe a GP Ferrari watch, too. Any leads, sources, shops, etc. are appreciated!

Emil[/QUOTE]

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    ...and a Rolex for a "friend"

Thought you were married... :eek:)

5. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Well... er... uh... um... I swear it's work related. It's a gift for a performer in a show I'm producing...

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    I am by no means an expert, but I do have a bit of an 'automatic' watch fetish, and did a fair amount of research before buying the pieces I own...

One thing to consider is that each manufacturer has different requirements when it comes to warranty service. You should verify whether or not the brands you that are interested in require purchases to be made at "Authorized retailers" before doing anything. The lowest purchase price may not actually translate to a "good buy" in the long run. Some manufacturers simply deny warranty coverage on any piece not purchased at an authorized reseller.

One example of this is the Ebel automatic I am wearing right now. If I had bought it on the Internet, or at a non-authorized reseller I would have to pay for the routine servicing - which is REQUIRED every two years to keep it under warranty. Service on ANY automatic can easily cost north of $500, and having to pay for just one of those might make your "good deal" become a bit less of one. (Ebel actually provides free servicing with their automatics when purchased at an authorized reseller)

The Cartier and the Rolex you mention would most probably be more than $500 to have serviced....depends on Jewel count and number of seals, etc.

Remember that automatics are prone to poor time keeping and in need of more tlc than quartz movement watches when not worn everyday or kept in a special box that winds them when not being worn - the lubricants tend to solidify a bit.

While it would probably cost more $ - I might go with Tourneau - they are pretty much authorized to sell anything.

Good luck.

K-

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My family is in jewelry/watch business. So let me tell you this, there is no way a store can sell you those watch at 30-40% discount as they claim. Just like many internet sites, those watchs are considered "grey market" watches, kinda like a Euro Ferrari. It is a real watch, but not reconginzed for United States authorized dealer for service or repair. You don't get the warranty card with USA serial #.

9. papaleo1

papaleo1 Karting

Jun 9, 2002
    Papaleo
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Be sure to check out Kenjo on 57th Street. They are authorized to sell all of the best watches. They enjoy a really positive reputation with all of the watch enthusiasts.

For all of you guys who are watchnuts, just walking into this place will get your adrenaline pumping.

10. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    http://www.atlantictime.com

I found these guys online and will visit them in 2 weeks. Their prices are very low and I'm capable of spotting fakes from several manufacturers.

While they are not authorized dealers, they are "brokers" and deliver brand-new products that bear all appropriate dealer/warranty stamps.

If anyone is interested in what I find, I can report back here...

11. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Yes!

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Let us know your thoughts.

13. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Hi Guys - have some IWCs, a Lange and a Daytona - so I have been down this road before. I like to buy my Rolex's from official dealers due to all the fakes/if I want to sell it the pedigree, however for most other brands I have no problem getting one (if the papers have been "signed" ) from a non authorized dealer.

For IWC/Lange try www.europeanwatch.com (great guys in Boston on Newberry - stellar service, great prices.

For Rolex in NYC I would try Wempe - if you want a big discount you need to find a dealer in a small town who wants to sell a watch...in my experience, the demand for Roles in NYC is so high discounts are small. HL Gross in Garden City is also very fair and an authorized dealer.

For Omega, try Continental Jewelers in DC, great price, authorized dealer and nice service.

For GP/Jean Richard try Marshall Pierce jewelers in Chicago and ask for Andrea - super service and they go out of their way to make sure you are happy.

Tourneau is good for finding the watch you want before you seriously shop. I guess they have enough traffic from people who don't price shop that they don't care to discount competitively....

Good luck!

Jordan

14. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Wilson & Son Jewlers in Scarsdale NY, is the only authorized rolex dealer throughout westchester. They have a great selection and rare variations. They our located in the village of Scarsdale. The address is

Wilson & Son Jewlers
    18 Chase Road.
    Scarsdale, NY 10583

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ABSOLUTELY true! You will get your watch back (three months later) still in need of repair.

Anyone who has sent in an unauthorized Franck Muller will tell you!

DL

16. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Ah, yes. Excellent point. If you do purchase from an "independent", the trick is to purchase from a reputable jeweler you have a relationship with, that has the prope warranty papers. What is done is, a Cartier jeweler for example may sell a Rolex and vice versa, both of which offer their warranties intact. The selling jeweler is merely delivering the watch.

Gus

17. CitySnake

CitySnake Rookie

Mar 19, 2004
    Ground Zero, USA
    Full Name:
    City
    Daminc Jewelers. 3rd Ave and 44th Street. email me if you're interested.

18. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The ABSOLUTE BEST place in NYC to look at the cream of the crop watches is Cellini in the Waldorf Hotel on Park Avenue. I guarantee it!

19. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Hurbert, those guys in Cellini love you. I went in there and they know you by first ame. Yes, they have some dame fine watches, but very overpriced though...

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I have purchased several watches from Westime in LA. They are ULTRA competitive and the watch is only an overnight Brinks delivery away!

Ask for Adriana

DL

21. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

Yes, overpriced....but you go in there to check out the selection of what you would like. They always have the hottest new watches there first.

22. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    You should give Stuart Singer of Stephen Singer Estate Jewelry a call. He's an old friend and recently had two GP Ferrari watches come through his hands. Has lots of interesing things for men and women. You might have to wait, but he'll get it for you.

email him at [email protected] or call 212-599-1515, but you'll need a reference to visit the shop which is pretty high security. Give him my name - George Avgerakis.

I know you'll find something you'll like.

George