Reckless driving | FerrariChat

Reckless driving

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vvvmd, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    I had my 355 out Monday night, driving on rural roads. I came up to a JEEP going about 15 mph slower than the posted speed limit (55mph). We came to a stretch of road that has a legal passing zone I down shifted and passed the JEEP going to redline in second as I passed. HE caught up with me at the only traffic light on that stretch of road and as I looked in my mirror I could see that the passanger was using a cell phone. I headed on home and didn't worry about it. Today one of the nurses in the OR told me that her fathers police scanner had gone off saying that there was a yellow Ferrari driving recklessly on that road. Now we have to watch out for Joe Citizen turning us in when our driving style or choice of cars doesn't match theirs.

2. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

Man, you get all kinds of losers out there trying too police the world. :( I would not worry about it because it is his word against yours and the police would not do anything about it unless you commited an offense that is provable...ie. hit and run, and your car is wearing the other guys paint!!

Enjoy the ride!! :)

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    No comment...

4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think you always need to be careful overtaking in an exotic as the guy you passed will tend to remember you much more than a silver BMW. He might just call the cops or key your car later when he sees it if you give him too much of what the car can do.

I don't always remember to behave however.......

5. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    I am very sorry to hear that. The same thing happend to me a few times and the police even show up at my house. I do drive fast and wild at times but never near where I live. But people still get like that. There is nothing you can do about it. Good thing is there is nothing they can do about it either. The other day a friend was doing 70 in a 45 zone in Roswell GA. (big road no need to get angry it's a safe place to go 70 ) this BMW came next to him just to check the car out, while we were a few cars behind him. Bad thing is there was an off duty PIG behind him in a Toyota and called the cops and made them write a ticket for racing 90+ beleive it or not. He never even went over 70. None of us could beleive it because there was 4 people in my car following my friend. But the cop did not listen to anyone and wrote the ticket anyway.

6. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Hey, are you in Atlanta?

7. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Just moved about 3 weeks ago from FL. Marietta.

8. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    They're just very unhappy people because they have boring unsatisfying lives, and you appear to be successful and happy, and they are jealous and don't want you to enjoy yourself.
    It sucks, but think about it, at least you're not them!

P.S. You should've been going much faster, so they can't identify the car :D

9. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

That's the trouble people like that. They want everyone on the bus----but THEY want to set the schedule.

LIVE FREE OR DIE !!

Tom

10. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You do have to be careful sometimes. I have a very red 360. The speed limit in my development is 25mph. I do precisely that in the hood. I'm way too easy to trace. Well, I also don't want to tick off the neighbors.

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the guy in the jeep was/is a miserable loser...luckly that police dont have any evidence of wrong doing...there wasnt any wrong doing!!just a guy enjoying an great sport car on some back roads..this is what america is all about...btw i drive a red 360 spider so i also make sure to never go fast until i am past all the residential areas

12. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When it goes to court just ask if the off duty police officer had a radar gun in his pov if he didn't ask where he was certified to be able to accurately gauge speed with his eyes

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yes, there is an element of people out there that don't like to be reminded that they can't have some of the nicer things in life. And, when something like this happens they think that you are rubbing it in their face. As long as it doesn't come back on you i.e. somebody keying your car or something, it's just another aspect of F-ownership. Having such a nice high profile symbol has its pros and cons.

14. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Thats why it is best to stay away from personalized plates. Its better to be nondescript.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ugh! I hate people! Screw them and their jeep. First they should at least be doing the posted speed limit. Secondly, they need to know the difference b/w passing and wreckless driving. I know this didn't happen to me but it pisses me off enough to upset me. Stupid ass people piss me off!!!!

16. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I wrote a full rant and rave on the old F chat about a topic that was similar to this. I will save you all from my lunitic like ravings by not repeating any of it but I will only state what I always call this type of behavior. "THE FUN POLICE". Any place you find people enjoying "motorsports" ie: dirt bikes, street bikes, sports cars, muscle cars, or even the kid down the block enjoying his mini bike you will find "THE FUN POLICE. Nosey people who can't mind their own damn biz.

17. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Please explain your username. A 350, that's a TVR. Or are you planning to put a 350 V8 in your 355 :) ? Ok, from your profile I read you want a 360.

On topic: Since I was in the local paper that everyone reads in my region with name, picture and licenseplate, I HAVE to behave. Maybe when my car is ever finished people have forgotten though...

18. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Didn't you see the big 'L' tattooed on the passenger's forehead when this person was using the cell phone? I could buy that Enzo if I had a nickel for every loser I've come across on the road. What happens when two of them come together? Probably the best one was the time I was driving a short distance on the interstate behind L1 in smooth moving traffic. L2 wants to merge on the interstate. Apparently this was asking too much for the tiny brains of L1 and L2 to handle, so L1 comes to a dead stop in the right lane of the interstate, with L2 coming to a stop in the merge lane to the right of L1. I drove past dumb and dumberer in awe at such complete stupidity. That's why I try to drive around and/or avoid such inbreeds as much as possible...

19. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I wanted to comment yesterday that you did precisely the right thing. You pass, getting out, around, and back in as quickly as possible. That is not reckless; just common sense.

20. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I had a similar experience happen to me. I can't stand losers.
    I was driving on 495 in PA and some loser in a white trailblazer with a walkie talkie in his hand pulls up next to me and starts yelling at me. I couldn't hear him, so I asked him to repeat what he was talking about, and he said that I'm going to get a nice ticket in the mail come monday for what I had just done. Then he said somthing into his walkie talkie thing, and sped off. I then thought about it for a minute, and then got really pissed off, thinking who the f' is this guy? And why am I going to get a ticket in the mail? So I caught up to him to try and pull him over, and he wouldn't even look at me. I then followed him (he even got off on the exit I was getting off of) and he wouldn't even look at me. So then I got his license plate number (since he's impersonating a police officer) and reported his ass to the pennsylvania state police. I told the police that this guy is driving around 495 with a radio in his hand acting like a law enforcment agent, and he was telling me how I was going to get a ticket in the mail. The state police then told me, that it was bogus because you have to ticket a driver not a vehicle. Then they ran the license plate # and the vehicle that he was driving was not registered to any type of law enforcement individual. What a F'n Loser!

21. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Were they albino ? People like this are what results when a brother and sister have children. :)

Tom

22. shelbee

shelbee Guest

innocent until proven guilty. No hard evidence!! Case dismiss!!

23. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I think if you get a ticket it's guilty until proven innocent. When it comes down to his word against yours that's it you get the fine.

24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

I had one like that. I punched a stock BMW Z-3, on a street where it
    was very quiet (during the day). This guy comes running out of his yard
    to exactly the middle of the street. I simply passed him by within a meter or two.
    Was I wrong ? Yes. I should not have done it. Why did this idiot run into the middle of the street ?

25. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I have an idiot like that in my neiborhood. First of all I will never speed in my neiberhood just because some people don't like the fact that I drive loud cars though the neiborhood. But this one guy is such an idiot. I drive 30mph. and the limit is 25mph. he runs in to the street. It's not just me everyone thinks he is a crazy person. We saw him many times holding a radar gun. He works for a Co. that builds radars or something like that. God, one day I am just goona break that guy.