autoweek on 360 successor | FerrariChat

autoweek on 360 successor

Discussion in '360/430' started by G-force, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I don't think that the replacement car will look like that. That car in the pics looks like the current car.

2. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I know... even with the nice power increase I expected more in the way of design changes?

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    iam not sure there will be significant redesign of the body shape...look at the 911..same basic design for 40plus years

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Yes but you're speculating. When I ordered the 360 replacement I was assured that it was going to be a whole new car with a significant redesign with many cues from the Enzo (not that I love the Enzo but still...). The car was already designed by Pininfarina and that it was going to be a 2006 model.

This cannot be what the car looks like.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Oh, and it better have at least 485 hp. The Gallardo has 493 hp. If they make a Gallardo SV, there's a good chance that it will have 600 hp. That's some serious competition, whether or not it's limited production or not.

I've already driven the e gear Gallardo and it's fast, but I thought that it lacked character. I am not so sure I would feel the same way after a drive in the 6 -speed. Plus the looks are growing on me (however every time I see one in person I still think it's too stubby).

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's also possible that the car in the photos is a development mule for the engine.

7. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    Remember, before the 612 came out, the prototypes looked totally different. Some prototypes looked like a new car, while others looked liked extended wheelbase 550s. I guess we wont know till next Geneva.

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  9. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
  10. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004

If they do like they did with upgrading the 348 to 355, they just have to add some cosmetic changes like bumbers, lights, airinlets, interior and so on and no-one will say it's the old design.

11. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    It's Superbird, actually. The Super Bee was available with a much smaller "Go-Wing."

12. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I hope theydon't say it is 480 hp and it is really 450 hp. AKA recent 360s. They really need at least 525 hp to still be thought of as superior to the gallardo.

13. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004

Good point!

14. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Their best bet, IMO, would be to not get embroiled in a power war. It's an absurd trend at present and not representative of what these cars are all about.

I'd sacrifice a good degree of power for lighter weight, better handling and stunning looks. Let the wannabes keep turning up the boost pressure/compression ratio/rev limit to win the schoolboy spankmag/Top Trumps competitions.

My "other " car has a mere 197bhp (200 on a cold day :) ). And it will absolutely trounce any 360, Gallardos and Porsches round the vast majority of race circuits (i.e. those that do not have 2 mile long straights, and even then it'd be close). Because of its lightweight it can be thrown round corners with barely a lift of the right foot and can brake so deep into corners I've had "supercar" owners end up in the gravel trying to copy braking points. It also has a side advantage that it's pretty fuel efficient too!

Getting involved in a p*ssing contest over raw numbers is stupid and will ultimately leave you in the cold when Toyota, Ford, Hyundai or whoever cranks the numbers up.

So come on Ferrari. Be brave, and don't get drawn into a "my dad can fight your dad" contest. Make a stunningy beautiful car - that'll draw in all the punters you need and only leave a few who "don't get it" dreaming of 4 digit bhps - make it sound amazing and handle brilliantly.

There's a place for ludicrous numbers, and that place is in the "top end", flagships. Cars like the Countach and Testarossa were in the 80s. Lambo still has one in the Murci but Ferrari doesn't (and perhaps feels it doesn't neeed one?). The 360 end of the range is meant to be the quick, nimble sportscar. And you don't need huge numbers and trick gadgets (4 wheel drive I ask you!) to do this.

I'm going to be immensely rude and generalise here, but many a good car has been spoilt in pursuit of those advertising elements that seem to appeal to people living in the US. I do hope Ferrari don't go too far down that route, as I suspect most of the guys on here love the cars precisely because they are different to the usual automotive food you get fed...

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Agree. That's why I think that 485 is plenty. However, I would prefer a lightweight car ( 100 lbs lighter than the CS) that just FEELS better and more nimble that retains a little of the older F-car characteristics like stiffer steering and clutch.

16. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    That looks like a Stradale to me... isn't it?

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Most of the 360 dyno results I've seen compute out to 395 - 400 at the flywheel just as stated in the specs. Haven't seen enough Stradale results to draw a conclusion, but the 360 hp claims seem to be accurate.

Gary

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I hate wings on road cars. One of the least attractive elements of the boy racer crowd. Love the fact that the 360 generates enough downforce with clever under-body engineering to eliminate the need for a wing.

Gary

20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Now, now, The F40 and F50 wings IMO are very well done. As with the (in anohter sense) NSX. (I love the way the tail light wraps around the wing and tail. Very original design)

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if you want horsepower, just get a viper..500/500...you can a used one in the 60s....of course having driven my friends last week i can tell you the car not pleasant to drive...very unconfortalbe, not smooth, engine sounded like a truck(it is a truck engine)...and then you also have the legenadary dodge quality!!!!!there is more to spoerts car than horsepower...the 348s 355 and 360s i have driven were all much more fun to drive than the viper, not to mention better looking and better built...the bottom line of a sports car is how much fun and excitement i have driving it and owning it..not just how fast i can break the law...racing is another story but most people do not race these cars..btw..i dont mean to rag on vipers..they are great cars for the money although i perfer the z06 for less money with more refinement

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the f50 si the one wing design that is very classy and not cheesy..i like the nsx styling but i just dont like the back treatment with the little wing

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, I have to agree, what got me started was the Superbird reference. Ugh!

Gary

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i wouldnt think most ferrari owners would like the styling of the super bird.....it has that dukes of hazzard look , ifyou know what i mean!